Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ever heard of a Jones Quick Change

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by GreggAz, Oct 20, 2005.

1. GreggAz

GreggAz

I just picked one up, its an A not a v8

the only markings are "Jones NAT" on one side and "Jones QC 400" on the other.
    its magnesium, and thats about all I know about it.
    Does anybody know any more about these?
    I will try to put up a photo tomorrow if it would help.

gregg

2. k9racer

k9racer

Mfg by Levi Jones who was in business in I think Indinia then he moved his metal operation to the Atlanta area . About 2 years ago he packed up and moved back up north.His QC was built like a franklin. The best I recall all the parts were the same a a franklin.The case was built somewhat different. for a while he cast 9 inch and some transmission cases. He also mfg a quick change unit that mounted on a saginaw 3 speed trans then drove to a 9 inch. a good idear buy did not sell. I hope this helps some ...Bobby..

3. racer5c

racer5c

His foundry used to carch fire regularly, Mag fire too. The Firemen loved him.

4. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Sorry I missed you, the family unit needed food and no one wanted to cook! Oh, and I think my dog pissed on the Olds.

5. He talked about moving back up north to Indy, but I don't think he did it.

Pretty sure he's still in Lawrenceville.

Levie Jones
    E-mail Address(es):
    [email protected]

This was good a few months ago.

6. Sure. It's a variation on the classic "Pigeon Drop"

7. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

He made a killer MAG SBC block also, you could lift the whole thing with one hand.

8. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Gregg,

I too have a Jones QC. The boys at Frankland Racing are really helpful and won't try to talk you into giving up on using the Jones like the clowns at Winters. Frankland say the Jones is a good unit and have all the parts to rebuild most models. I'll be calling them when the time comes to deal with mine.

www.franklandracing.com

Frankland Racing
    Glade Mill Industrial Park
    105 Industrial Drive West
    Valencia, PA 16059

1-888-8-REAR-END

Vance

Tim likes this.
  9. GreggAz

GreggAz

thanks guys.

are the change gears standard like the halibrands?

mine is pretty complete and fresh, it looks as if it has never been run. It appears I am missing a flange which bolts on to the housing and appears to handle thrust load on the pinion?

thanks again for the info. this rear will go great behind my banger!

10. k9racer

k9racer

He is still in Ga. I was at the moonshine festival and asked and was told he was still in Ga. I talked to another man who is building a airplane with jones mag block and dual spark plug heads. You are correct on those units being light he had on in his old modified no 7.

11. rainguy

rainguy

Levi Jones engineering was located in Puyallup Washington. He had his own foundry and he cast wheels and other custom Race car parts. He moved the shop to Indy and last time I was out there in Puyallup his son Ben was working in the old shop ....
    Dick Page aka Rainguy on HAMB ...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. GreggAz

GreggAz

Wow this is old. Thanks for that, I still have the QC hanging on the shop wall. I will get around to using it one of these days

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would add some pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

There has to be a story behind this! :p

15. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

You'll notice that it's a model A QC but it has a pinion support. A pal has one, I was digging for info and got ahold of Levie's phone number. He told me it takes a specially machined pinion or an adaptor. Or you can just run a regular old A pinion in there and skip the support. Neat-o...

16. Okay, I want to know about these blocks and heads!!! Wet blocks? Availability? These sound uber-cool...

Steve

17. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Ha...just that, 8 years ago, Gregg's '50 Olds was being stored at my house.

falcongeorge likes this.
  18. Here's mine waiting to get under my coupe

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and Tudor like this.
  19. i heard the levie was killed in a wreck. have u heard? no answer on his email.thanks tommy

20. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Mag blocks, don't think I've ever read about that..I read its for a Model A, why and what of the Model A is used?

21. jones.jpg
    just scored this vintage decal last night on E***

22. burbanite

burbanite

Is this him?

[​IMG]

LEVIE JONES Obituary
    (Archived)
    Published in News Tribune (Tacoma) on Oct. 20, 2013
    Levie Edward Jones "Sonny" Levie was born in Tacoma on April 19, 1935, and died September 25, 2013 in Indianapolis. Our hearts are deeply saddened.

Donnie Williams likes this.
  23. This is my grandpa,im Levie Jones the 2nd and my dad is Ben. My dad still has one of his cars.

KiWinUS, oldtymehiboy and rjones35 like this.
  24. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Hello Jones the racer92,

I'm really glad you found the HAMB and the threads about your Grandpa. Let me tell you a little about this forum to keep you out of trouble. First, it is asked that you do an introduction of yourself. This is located on the first page and says "NEW TO THE H.A.M.B.? INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE!".
    Please do that and tell us a little bit about yourself and maybe your race car.

Secondly, most of the guys on here are old and sometimes crotchety. They may use bad language and insult each other, a lot! You may want your dad to look at some of the posts on here to make sure he is okay with you being on here.
    Finally, we are restricted to talking about cars older than 1965. But, we also want to know more about about people like your Grandpa. I never met him, but have worked on quite a few of the Quickchanges that he made. I would be very interested in learning more about them. Maybe with your Dad's help, you could give us more details about all the stuff your Grandpa made. From some guys I know that knew your Grandpa, it sounds like he was quite an engineer and a guy we all would have liked to have known.

My name is Bruce, but I go by Gearhead'sQCE on here. That stands for Quick Change Exchange.

25. Hi gearhead'sQCE i'll go introduce myself right now also my parents are ok with me being on here. I started a thread about my grandpa titled Levie Jones (joenco) so I can talk more about him. Thanks for your help.

26. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I see that you did your intro. Good Job!
    I didn't find your new thread. Are you sure it posted?

27. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

This guy was a real character, built quality steering and rear ends etc, and could drive the hell out of a dirt track super mod well into his seventies. He was the kingpin for vintage oval racing in GA for a few years, moved to Indiana and we were so sorry to hear he is no longer with us.

28. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

This is an old thread but I just ran across it.
    I worked for Levi in 1968. He was a good friend. I did most of the 9 inch Ford rear ends and axles that we furnished for Penske Racing. He had some really sharp guys working there.
    As I remember, shortly after I left, the shop burned down but the house was ok.
    The toilet facilities in the shop were comical. It consisted of a bucket under a stool with a hole in it. Levy would take the bucket in the house and dump it a couple times a day.

29. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Now that sounds just like a typical engineer