Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mopar flathead 6 motors- whats to be expected

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Modeljunkie, Dec 8, 2011.

1. 1956 Belvedere

1956 Belvedere

How does a super interesting thread go so strong and just die?

Please continue the banter about flat head Mopar 6's.

2. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

looks like most of those whom had something to say said it.

3. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Probably cuz of the P15D24 forums.

That's if you can stomach their arogance

4. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I've got a 230 in my '42 Dodge Carryall. I believe the military version is rated at less than 100 hp. It takes some patience to pull a nearly 6,000 lb truck, but it does pull it. Check out www.dodgepowerwagon.com or Vintage Power Wagons in Fairfield, IA for sources of parts. 230s are plentiful there.

I couldn't stand to put a V-8 in this old truck. I'm experimenting with a Chrysler straight-eight. It is 324 cubic inches, 135 hp and 275 lb-ft torque at 1200 rpm. It's gonna take some serious re-engineering for the added length, but I think it is doable in the truck.

[​IMG]

turboroadster likes this.
  5. 73RR

73RR

The L8 is an interesting engine to be sure but you will spend some serious time/money trying to get it to fit. The first obstacle you will find is that the bellhousing bolt pattern is completely different than the L6 so it is not a bolt-up.
    Although the idea of a v-8 may make you cringe, they will likely be a lot less work and even a 360 can double the HP/TQ. If you need old-skool then look at the 318 Poly (check out Chrysler Power Magazine for a new engine building series featuring the 318P)
    If you just-gotta stay with an inliner then look at the Jeep 4.0 or go completely wild and look at the JAG 4.2.

6. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

The straight-eight does bolt up to the Power Wagon bellhousing, and I've got my clutch and flywheel all together. The front motor mount even fits, I just need nine inches additonal room between front and back. That was easier than you might think on my truck platform. It would be much harder in a car.

7. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

My half a bubble off high school buddy joe drove his 50 plymouth up to my dads house. I said Joe the pan is leaking. He replied no it isnt, there isnt one on it, Im going to the parts store to get a pan gasket. We looked underneath and sure enough there wasnt one on it, Id like to report a happy ending but the rods started knocking. They were tough, just dont turn them too high. We put a lot of straight 8 Chryslers in them back then, early 60s

JOHN H EDGE likes this.
  8. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

The big Chrysler flathead 6 works well too.

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Suggest you use the larger Chrysler/DeSoto/ Dodge truck engine. It was actually used in Power Wagons in the fifties, the last vehicle Chrysler built with flatheads was a 68 military Power Wagon with the 251 six.

In stock form 265 cu in 120HP. Can be bored to 283 cu in. With a little work you should be able to get 150HP without using very high compression or going too radical on the cams etc.

Also comes stock with full flow oil filter.

To me this would be easier and better than the straight 8. I like the straight eight but parts are hard to get. I don't think it would have much advantage over a good big six.

10. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

11. alsancle

alsancle

My understanding is that the bolt patterns on the bell housing for the 23 inch, 25 inch and Straight 8 Mopar are all the same. But I don't know that as a fact so any confirmation from somebody that really knows would be appreciated! I've been particularly interested in putting a late 30s 3 speed top shift overdrive from the 8 into a later 3 on the tree 6 banger car.

12. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

The 265 torque out at just about 210, Look for them at airports in tugs and ground support equipment, or if the is old farm equipment about, look for Massey Ferguson combines. They were powered by 251 and 265 flat 6. Beides finding room for 2 inches i length is gonna be easier than 4 or 5 of the Straight 8, and parts for those are scarce and pricey. Plus they gotta weigh close to 850 lbs. w/o the trans.

Hope that wasn't too arrogant.

13. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I have them bolted together. I had to source a clutch from a 2-ton truck that would bolt to the eight flywheel and match my 1-ton truck four speed. The bellhousing defintiley bolts up.

14. bigboy308

bigboy308
    from Merlin, OR

I know of one person that is installing a 308ci Hudson Hornet flathead engine in an early Plymouth Coupe. 1/2" stroker crank takes it to about 350ci. Using a 700 R4 o/d behind all.

Might fool some of the people!!

15. 73RR

73RR

Either you have a bell with dual bolt patterns (which Chrysler did on occasion) or, there are two very different L-8 blocks out there (which I kinda doubt).
    Last year I made a one-off adapter for an L-8 and the back of the block wasn't even close the an L-6 design (I have those adapters on the shelf)...just sayin'...

16. Tim Keith

Tim Keith

Per conversation with Mr Asche I wouldn't be too concerned about occasionally turning 4,500 RPM in a 265. The motors were popular in mid-duty trucks and were very dependable in hard use when properly maintained. George told me that he's ran the flatheads hard since he was a teenager and never had a failure that wasn't anticipated. He said that odds are that when rods have been thrown in flathead that the bearings were badly worn with low oil pressure and the oil level in the sump was also low. Now, that being said these motors can run for years in badly wounded condition without making much of a complaint. That is also a reason that these motors have a reputation for being a dog - many of them are flat worn out but seemingly running smoothly. He said that the rods won't cut loose without advance warning, that if you pay attention to the condition of the motor - watch the oil pressure and temperate as you should with any motor, there is little to worry about. Even at 150 HP the internals are not highly stressed. These motors make torque at low speeds so that unless you have a light car you won't have a need to operate at high RPM anyway. With modern oils there is an extra margin of safety, and you can do the oil system mods. I got my 265 from George, it has a standard spec crank. Although not traditional I might consider fuel injection to help distribute fuel more evenly, the two and three carb setups are cool, but EFI might be a good, although I'm sure that's not popular on this board and fully agree, yet fuel injection was used back then, although not on vehicles. I think 150 HP wouldn't be on the ragged edge, I think you could drive across the US at that level of output in a 283 ( 4.6 liter ) flathead six. A 5 or 6 speed would be good to keep the motor in its torque curve, the 200R4 is gaining some popularity with these sixes.

Richard Hartman likes this.
  17. Bmartin

Bmartin
    from mesa,az

Love this thread. Great info on the flat 6. Does anyone have a link to a writeup installing the 25" block in a 1940 Plymouth or similar? I'm battling with this decision right now. I know the 230 can make good power, but I'd like to start with the larger engine. Thanks.

18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Transmission and bell housing bolt up, motor mounts must be relocated 2" farther forward (some frames come with extra bolt holes drilled). Rad must be moved forward. That's about it.

There are variations in starters, flywheels, 6 vs 12 volt starters but pretty straight forward swap. P15D24 can help with the details.

19. ^^Diddo^^

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I don't know if I linked this before on this thread but it is interesting anyway. If you want to know what is to be expected of a flathead Chrysler here is a guy who bought one new and drove it 185,000 miles.

Happens to be a DeSoto Suburban 8 passenger sedan. If the old flathead can make good in that whale it can do anything.

My favorite quote, at high altitudes at 70MPH it smooths out like a perfectly balanced turbine. This in a 6000 pound car with 4:11 gears.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/desoto/suburban-1951.html

21. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Pretty impressive bit of automotive history there. Treat them right and they will return the favor.

22. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I need a little advise on my 48 Plymouth convert: It has the 218 that had a stock rebuild from Gopher engine about 15,000 mile ago, and an overdrive out of a '53 Plymouth. I'm going to hop it up a bit with an Edmunds high compression aluminum head, 2 carb intake, Fenton headers and dual exhaust. I also have on old NORS dual point conversion kit for the stock distributor. My question is about a NORS Howards 3/4 cam that I have. if I stick the cam in there, how bad will it hurt the low end tork, and how much will it help the power and in what RPM range? I'm not sure if it is wise or not for street use?
    Second question is about carbs. I have different intake manifolds to choose from, set up for either the B&B carbs or for Stromberg 97 3 bolt carbs. I have rebuildable cores of both styles of carbs on hand. Which would work better?
    Thanks, Joel

23. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You need a cam to get the most out of the extra carbs and headers. It sounds like an excellent combination for street use. It shouldn't hurt the low end too much, your engine idles down to 400 RPM now, you might have to boost it to 500 or 600.

I don't know about the carbs.

One suggestion. If you have the trans or engine out, or need to renew the clutch, have the flywheel lightened. This gives whippier acceleration and doesn't hurt the running any. It is an old hot rod trick from the days of 3 on the tree and flywheels like manhole covers ha ha.

24. A chrysler marine manifold would give your in line six a unique look, they are hard to get, but they are intake and exhaust in one. Here is a few pics of one i have.

Attached Files:

25. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I believe that those are designed to have water running through them when operating.

26. daliant

daliant

You'd also need an updraft carb to go with it. Also the exhaust would have to run through the firewall.

27. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The amazing thing is, it's still quieter than a brand new 216 Chevy six. Don't be surprised if you find broken pistons and broken rings when you take it apart. These engines will continue to run in an advanced state of neglect and wear, without complaining.

A good engine would have at least 100 pounds compression, 110 - 120 on a newer, higher compression model.

28. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Re: oil filters. Leave the original on there. They only need to be changed every 5000 miles and it isn't that big a deal. New, modern filters are far inferior to the original and you can't adapt a modern full flow to your engine.

29. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If the engine is that badly worn it is probably only making about half the HP it should. In other words, a straight rebuilt will DOUBLE your power.

I know guys who thought their old flathead Dodges and Plymouths were too low powered until they rebuilt the worn out engine, then they had plenty of power for all normal driving. Just having them run right, took away all desire for a hop up or V8 swap.

30. Bought an old 49 4 door Plymouth in 1974 for 75 dollars replaced the ball and trunnion u-joint and drove it 100,000 plus miles. Good little cars gave its remains to a local college kid in 1984 and he drove it some more then drove it back up north when he finished school..........