Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Alfa Romeo Aerodinamica Spider

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Neat lookin' car, reminds me of a beetle ready to fly with the engine compartment open. Also liked the story of the shoot out with the "Commies". :D Thanks for sharing.

3. banjorear

banjorear

Ryan or anyone:

Where is the car now? Obviously it is a significant piece of history.

Too bad it didn't have a few bullet holes in it as momentos of the shoot out.

4. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

That's a neat car, but it's not as good looking as the Auto Union car that you mentioned. Regardless, it'd be neat to see this car lowered with either disc wire wheel covers or a set of the windowless Halibrands on it.

5. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

What a fantastic car! Thank you Ryan for bringing it to our attention. I do have a question about the car; why does it have right hand drive if it was designed by Slavs for an Italian company? Did the Jankovits plan on their little trip out of the country and over to Great Britain well before they actually took the trip and, consequently, made the conversion?

Hmmmmmmmm, who knows...

6. -J-

-J-

That's simply amazing, thank you for bringing this up. Damn that is beautiful!!

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's actually center steer.... not left or right...

8. miller91

miller91

Jano was a genius, one of the greats, known best today for his work with Ferrari. Going up against the might of the prewar German efforts was no easy task. He had come to Alfa in 1923 designing many sports and championship cars, notably the P2. At the request of racing team manager Enzo Ferrari, Jano was brought back to the board immediately prewar; the period in which this interesting car was developed. Their is a full article on this car in Octane magazine, archived in their website.

http://www.classicandperformancecar...es/233224/alfa_romeo_aerodinamica_spider.html

Jano's replacement Ricart designed the relevant 512 championship car seen below.

9. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i dont know where to start with this...

its got simple lines, nothing complex that draws the eye to one point, low and sporty, i like that a lot... the sleek center of the car does kinda contrast with the way the fender tops blend along the entire side of the car, almost like a VW made it with a belly tank racer...

10. miller91

miller91

and seeing Ryan has given an all-clear to play a little bit O/T, here are some notable Alfa aerodynamic classics. One of my favorite marques.

11. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

That's gorgeous!
    I read an interesting story years ago about a guy who tracked down a Mercedes Benz 540K that was given to Stalin by Hitler.Stalin considered it too bourgeois and gave it to one of his generals as a staff car.A guy tracked it down to his kid's country estate. He thought about diassembling it but then said WTF.He drove it across the border on a Sunday like he owned it.......it worked!:eek:

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I love it the way it is! "Improve" on it too much, and you've got a different car. Wouldn't be the same.

13. miller91

miller91

and perhaps the first mid-engined car, the 1923 Benz "Tropfenwagen".

14. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

there are a LOT of interesting tales of tracking down, procuring and smuggling rare cars out of the former soviet block nations. . . Bluto could tell us volumes, but thats for another blog entry

15. What a sensual looking thing. Some of the machines from that era are so beautiful both aesthetically and mechanically. The Auto Union cars were pretty amazing too but had that, German, purpose built look like a Messerschmitt or Stuka.

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

sleek and sexy, especially for the era... damn we were behind in that department.

17. Ryan ... one of your best O/T threads ever! :)

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

hahaha! when I saw this post I knew HEMI32 would come running.

19. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

the times have not changed sir. . .

20. Looks back-asswards in the above pic.

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the O/T reference. As written the car has volumes of inspiration for would-be one off builders. Most of the custom builds for competition and individual use can really change a builder's perspectives. Just look past the obvious. Mid 30s Alfas are among the most beautiful cars ever. Imagine something inspired by that 38 (?) in the above pic by miller91 but powered by an early Cad or Olds, maybe a high zoot blown flatty or Ardun...

22. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Alfa Romeo is all you have a say!

Nick.

23. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Ever since the bubble top renaissance started I've been waiting for that style of windshield to show up on hot rods. Throw that on a bucket or A roadster with the tub opening rounded out a bit and you're a low-rent Roth without actual bubble top expense or useability compromises

Great car

24. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i think it's sort of funny that alfa commissioned this car, then abandoned it like a red headed step child, and still they take credit for it as part of their history and associate it with their marque.

i don't think it's particulary beautiful. in fact, it seems a little awkward. but there is still something about it. i think ryan is right, there is plenty of material here to gain inspiration from and make something special.

weird, interesting story. thanks for this one.

25. metalshapes

metalshapes

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  26. metalshapes

metalshapes

And a drawing of the Jankovits Alfa.

14WqCPda1vjyhv2.jpg

27. lownrusty

lownrusty

Center steer so you can have the ladies on both sides, cool looking for sure.

28. metalshapes

metalshapes

Some more pics.

29xf0bm.jpg

1138371786939315.jpeg

alfajankovits10pe.jpg

alfajankovits25nl.jpg

alfajankovits39rm.jpg

29. banjorear

banjorear

This drawing reminds me of the Mercedes race car transporter. Not sure what it was actually called but, the same cab forward and long sloping bed/hauler for the silver arrow.

Neat stuff.

30. miller91

miller91

This one? It was super fast, too...