Register now to get rid of these ads!

Street Race Stories

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BottleBob, Jan 10, 2009.

1. oneredryderone

oneredryderone

in the mid 60's we had a 'very reputable local car club that would use---['for their speed contests']--- I-94 east bound from wayne rd to merrimen road ---the main entrance to detroit metropolitan airport [ two-mile/ two lane stretch]. a race was usually mid-nite or later! they'd caravan [the contestants were the last cars in the line] 'quickly' park on the right apron, the spectators were scattered from the starting line to the finish line--
    [almost never more than 15 or so cars].
    the contestants would pull out as traffic would 'allow', then GO-AT-IT!

can't ever remember the wayne county sheriff or the michigan state police ever
    'happening-on-to-these speed contests!

HOWEVER-----------many in the detroit-area have heard of the AIRPORT DRAGS---
    [my terminology] northline road between middlebelt and wayne road----
    teams of wayne county sheriff's, romulus-city police would block off, the road in three places, and would 'wade' in issue loitering/ 'open-containers, and 'other serious violation' tickets to spectators and drag racing and reckless driving tickets WHEN they were confident of capturing an 'actual' contestant.
    the 'urban legend' is many as 100 tickets being issued at these 'events'--note this as plural!
    these were serious criminal activities the law enforcement departments were dealing with!

THERE MUST BE SOMEONE ON THE H.A.M.B. WHO CAN ADD TO THIS--WITH THEIR
    EXPERIENCES!

* BTW* ANYONE KNOW WHATEVER HAPPENED TO.......'POWER INC'......car club? ? ? ? ?

red ryder

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  2. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I don't care who you are. If you were around in the 60s and 70s and hell even thru the 90s and had a hotrod, you street raced. I never did it in a dangerous area with people nearby but I damn sure did it alot. I've even outrun the NY State troopers on more than one occasion. Shit I'm almost 54 years old and did again last summer a couple times in a safe area with my 55 and I'm now building a much stronger sbc for the car. I'm not saying street racing is cool or safe but you gotta use your head if you want to raise alittle hell. Saying it's "LAME" is LAME in itself. You have to know your cars limits as well as your own and use both accordingly. :rolleyes:

slack likes this.
  3. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Both of you can go back and edit your own posts, just click on the 'EDIT' button on the bottom right corner of your post and erase the 'bad stuff'. ;)

4. BottleBob

BottleBob

B:

Thanks, I didn't know you could do that. I'm used to posting to Usenet newsgroups where what you post is archived FOREVER.

--
    BottleBob
    http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

5. Gunch

Gunch

Thanks a lot BottleBob. you just made me upset that it's winter :mad:. Really good story, entertaining read for sure! the part about you spraying to outrun the cops really struck me funny. And the le-mans start. I'd like to be there for that one! hahaha

6. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

first time i ever went to an actual orchestrated street race was couple of years ago around the vandalia area in metro mn. went with a friend in belair. we pull up stickin out like a crocodile at an alligator rally. rice to the left rice to the right. no more than 15 minutes there and all hell broke loose. everyone of the buildings around us broke open and out pours hundreds of fuzz, they had been planning the bust for weeks:eek: long story short that belair bailed our asses out of a mess of tickets. we told them we were lost and they bought it:D

7. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

When Bottle Bob blew the motor in his '68 Vette, I ended up with it minus motor and trans. I had a 454 and 4 speed in my garage. Loaded it on a dolly and my brother and I rolled it over to Bob's house. I drove the car home that night.

I ended up rebuilding my motor, rebuilding the vette suspension, fixing the stress cracks in the body and having it painted gun metal grey. New interior and new top. When the car was done, I took it out to Glenoaks and Peoria where the street racers were now meeting. Walking around, I asked a kid in a '57 Chevy if he wanted to race. He looked at my car but didn't ask to see the engine. He said he would race heads up but he had to drop his girlfriend off at home. He took off down a side street while I waited.

I figured he was hooking up a bottle since he didn't ask to see my engine and the street he went down didn't go anywhere. The kid comes back and we headed off to Wentworth Street. It was gonna be the first race on the new motor so I wasn't gonna squeeze but since I figured the '57 was on the bottle, I turned mine on.

We lined up, the hands dropped and we took off. I pulled him out of the gates by 1/2 car. I'm watching his frontend out of the driver's window waiting for his car to hook. As his frontend rises, I figure he is hooking and give it enough gas to stay 1/2 car ahead. It stays that way all the way down and I never have to hit the juice.

I pull over on a side street and the kid pays me, but my motor is making all kinds of racket. I baby it to a closed garage and pull the valve covers. The roller rockers have backed off. The poly-locks weren't cinching down on the stock studs. Bottle Bob runs home and grabs some long slots rocker and nuts. While we are exchanging rocker arms, LAPD puls up and watches us using their spot lights.

Change the rockers and adjust the valves, wave goodbye to LAPD and head off looking for another race.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  8. Goldchainer$$$

Goldchainer$$$
    from L.A.

This thread is lame, so is Rich Rodges and soooooooooooo OT. Please close

9. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

That was an interesting little story. Especially since I know and am familiar with all those streets, and am currently attending CSUN. Say Bob, did CSUN have the parking structures in those days?

10. matt Delio

matt Delio

the cops used to come to my dads house and tell him "tell your boy to stop by the station some time today-we got a present for him!. ya see i had one of those cars they couldn't catch also. wised up after a couple of warnings

11. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

What's even more lame is that you don't know how to spell a name when it's right in front of you. Somehow it doesn't surprise me that you chose Goldchainer for a name:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

12. BottleBob

BottleBob

HRM:

Parking structures, well I don't really know. The place I parked was flat blacktop. Haven't been by there in quite some time.

--
    BottleBob
    http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

13. Goldchainer$$$

Goldchainer$$$
    from L.A.

No it's because your a ROD.

14. Between this comment, and your screen name, I'm wondering if you're on the wrong board?:confused: Maybe the HAMB just ain't for ya:rolleyes::p:(:D:eek:

15. duste01

duste01

I had to laugh at myself...dredging up old memories. Dad always told me "you cant outrun a radio" not meaning to I tested the theory. Funny thing about it though was when my sister yelled cop (in the dark- no lights) I tried to slow down to 70 as I rolled past his door, then when he pulled out I was more afraid of my Dad than I was of the cop, and thats why I put the pedal down to the floor and held it there. I did get away and swore I would never do anything that stupid again it scared me so bad.

16. Goldchainer$$$

Goldchainer$$$
    from L.A.

Dude it's a name, and you don't know shit about me and if you did you would have nothing but good things to say so with that said, yes NOW this is way OT and sorry i don't like to glamorize street racing.

17. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

please delete this from your subscribed threads. There is absolutely no reason for you to sabotage this thread. Perhaps you view streetracing as hazardous and dangerous...have you ever driven under the influence? Perhaps you think this thread is OT...then why are some of us enjoying it? If racing were OT, why is a drag racing thread already approaching 1.1 million views? Please just go away, quickly and quietly.

18. I know enough about you from your few bitter posts in this thread to think (my opinion) you should go away. I'm not seeing that we're glamorizing street racing, but reflecting experiences from our fun past. I'm pretty sure many, if not all sanctioned racing evolved from some sort of street activity, contest, dare, or moonshine runnin. Again, since this seems to offend you, simply GO AWAY. You're gonna potentially start something that'll ruin it for the rest of us

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
    Dave50 likes this.
  19. jc555247

jc555247

20. jc555247

jc555247

21. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Oh. Just currious if that was why they didn't find your car. Because, there are several six level parking structures now. Two on Darby and one on Zelza. And I know one structure was rebuilt after the '94 Chatsworth quake, so I was also currious to know what year your story takes place?

Later.

22. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Mid 70's, Sepulveda and Mission. Mitch with a black '62 Plymouth Savoy, 383 with a 4 speed on slicks. Paul with a silver '70 Torino, 429 and a 4 speed on slicks run heads up. The hands drop and the slicks bark. They are fairly close but the Plymouth wins. When both car come back, someone spies a black and white creeping out from behind the gas station.:eek: LAPD pulls up next to the Torino and tells Paul, "You shoulda left harder!". Everyone breathes a sigh of relief. Cool cops........:p

23. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

A little town in upstate NY one night about 4 am, a local cop pulls me over and wants to know if I want to run him. Says he thinks his cruiser will keep up with or beat my 460 intercepter Torino. I told him sure if he shut his speed gun off and then I'd only race him from 0 to 60 cause I didn't trust him. HE laughed and drove away telling me I wasn't any fun.

24. 3Mike6

3Mike6

Ya know, this has to be a true story, who else would admit to being in the car with thier sister? ;)

25. ChrisinPhilly

ChrisinPhilly

Bottlebob, thanks for the insight into the Cali street racing scene, loved it, keep it coming!

26. Hey Michelle. You'll have to double check with Bob on that particular event. But, we raced together back then, and these stories go back into the 70's. (just in case he doesn't get back to you on this one)

27. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

Sounds like Rev.Grimm the king of Ratrodders.

28. Hey bro. Would you PLEASE delete this? I think Goldchainer$$$ left this thread. Lets not urge him back. Thank you

29. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know. I think I like the other one better, it doesn't make me feel as er, inadequate..........:eek:
    Doc!!

30. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Righty O' Groucho. Thanks for the reply.:)