Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mothballs in gas tank... DANGER!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by irishpol, Nov 23, 2007.

1. irishpol

irishpol
    from Texas

We all know about the old timers trick of putting mothballs in your gas tank and the edge it gives you when racing, but be carefull how you handle them! both my self and my wife Kathy (Krazy Kate)became extreamly ill after handleing them. Kathy remains ill, her white blood cell count has become very low and she has flu like symptoms. The doctors say that there is NO treatment for this and only there is a small chance of her condition improving. I saw several racers using mothballs at the day of the drags... I would not wish this condition on anybody!!

2. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

cripes

knew a couple of people that wanted to clean out the attic from critters and ended up in the hospital

steroids and

mostly blood transfusions , get the bad blood gasses out and new blood in that
    cleared them up

hope the docs at least try that pretty common thing mothball poisoning

along with being sick for 6 months
    just horrible

yet you can by the stuff at most any store

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

wow! dam!..i never knew this..havent ever messed with them, but thanks for the heads up!

4. skumbag

skumbag

whaty edge does it give you?:confused: i've never heard of this...

matt

5. 31whitey

31whitey

been ill myself recently.
    just bought an old ladys house.
    all closets had mothballs in them.
    WTF

6. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Holly Crap ... Found this ............. ;-(

Moth balls are made from naphthalene, a hydrocarbon derived from coal tar that easily sublimates, or exudes gas acting as a fumigant. However these gases must build to high concentrations to be effective.

Moth balls made with naphthalene are toxic and high levels of exposure can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, blood in the urine and jaundice, a yellow appearance to the skin. Naphthalene can also kill red blood cells. Though your body can replace them, in the interim the condition is referred to as hemolytic anemia. Hospitals have reported a high incidence of hemolytic anemia in newborns and small children who were dressed in clothing or wrapped in blankets that had been stored in naphthalene moth balls. In pregnant women, naphthalene can transfer from the mother's bloodstream into the bloodstream of her unborn baby. The toxin has also been detected in breast milk, though not in quantities that are thought to be of concern. Naphthalene has also been linked to nasal cancer.

Moth balls look like gumballs or candy and therefore can be a danger to both children and pets, in which they can be fatal if swallowed. If using naphthalene moth balls, it's safest to store clothing in an air tight container along with the moth balls. All clothing should be fully aired out or washed before wearing.

Moth crystals are made from paradichlorobenzene (PDB), which is considered more toxic than naphthalene. PDB also sublimates easily and clothes should again be kept in a sealed container along with the PDB. Again, all goods should be fully aired or washed before wearing or using. Prolonged exposure of PDB vapors on plastics may melt them, affecting some sweater boxes and other types of plastic. It is therefore not recommended to use on clothes with plastic buttons or decorations. The effects on humans of PDB are not well-known, but related compounds do have associated health risks and PDB is a suspected human carcinogen, causing cancer in animals. Therefore minimum exposure is recommended when using moth crystals.

7. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

good to know, thanks and sorry to you.

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

sounds like this shit should have an MSDS sheet to come with it when you buy it..or does it and people dont read up on it?

9. Cword

Cword

From http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasoline-faq/part3/

6.20 Can mothballs increase octane?

The legend of mothballs as an octane enhancer arose well before WWII when
    naphthalene was used as the active ingredient. Today, the majority of
    mothballs use para-dichlorobenzene in place of naphthalene, so choose
    carefully if you wish to experiment :). There have been some concerns about
    the toxicity of para-dichlorobenzene, and naphthalene mothballs have again
    become popular. In the 1920s, typical gasoline octane ratings were 40-60
    [11], and during the 1930s and 40s, the ratings increased by approximately 20
    units as alkyl leads and improved refining processes became widespread [12].

Naphthalene has a blending motor octane number of 90 [52], so the addition of
    a significant amount of mothballs could increase the octane, and they were
    soluble in gasoline. The amount usually required to appreciably increase the
    octane also had some adverse effects. The most obvious was due to the high
    melting point ( 80C ), when the fuel evaporated the naphthalene would
    precipitate out, blocking jets and filters. With modern gasolines,
    naphthalene is more likely to reduce the octane rating, and the amount
    required for low octane fuels will also create operational and emissions
    problems.
    </pre>

The scary part is here http://www.purdue.edu/dp/envirosoft/housewaste/house/mothball.htm

Newer mothballs are PARADICHLOROBENZENE - Vapor irritates skin, eyes and respiratory tract; large doses can cause injury to liver; suspected carcinogen

10. loggy

loggy

Wow,you certainly learn something new every day huh,the other half's got a box of vintage coats sealed up with mothballs in it,will be careful when handling that lot now......all the best irishpol,hope things improve for you guys:)

11. irishpol

irishpol
    from Texas

Thanks for your replys and kind thoughts. At a time of confusion and despair the HAMB comes through! now we have some idear of what's going on and some hope....

12. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

Wow I never new mothballs were so dangerous, I always thought they were just meant to stink bad not kill people. I think there needs to be a better warning on the packaging as i have never heard of any of this and I use mothballs all the time in a building I store cars in.

13. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Goof information to have. Thanks!

14. Dirty2

Dirty2

Sorry to hear this and Prayers are up for yall. Now who was useing mothballs at the drags ??

15. Brewton

Brewton

Damn, this news is scary! I'll just pay the $ for high octane race fuel....it won't make you sick - or will it?

16. Dirty2

Dirty2

It smells better also !!

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Mothballs in gas is a bunch of bull... just google it and you'll see...

18. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

I've never smelled a moth's balls.
    A bee's balls do smell like honey, however.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Bassfire

Bassfire
    from Mart, Tx.

I have used moth balls to run a skunk out of a building. Seems it makes them sick. I will be leery of using it again though.

20. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

I was one ! dam sorry to here this , pol and kate . love to you both !
    I hope it wears off quick .

21. Dirty2

Dirty2

You was the one :eek: . You are now dqed . You have to do reverse do nuts aka moth nuts ! Any updates on Kathy ?

22. gas pumper

gas pumper

Damn, I keep a mothball in each drawer of my machinist tool boxes, the vapor stops rust from forming.
    From the box::eek:
    Made by ENOZ. Active ingredient: Naphthalene 99.95% Made in the USA. Hazards to Humans and Domestic Animals. WARNING: May be fatal if inhaled. Do not breath Vapors....

Wow, never read this. This is some bad stuff.

23. Absolutely,gasoline fumes can make you sick.

And just about any fuel additive that might improve performance is dangerous.The bigger the improvement,the bigger the health risk.

More than one "name" racer has died a painful death related to exposure to fuel.

24. HELLMET

HELLMET

sorry to hear this pol hope kathy gets better. billy

25. 40chev

40chev

I just woke my wife up and told her that she has to read this since her mom's house smells like a mothball box...She has them things all over...I hate going there and rarely do because the smell is sickening....She has them in the furniture, closets ect.....Her mom constantly has sinus problems, sick alot...Hmmmm makes me wonder....

I hope you and your wife get better, a prayer will be sent......

26. irishpol

irishpol
    from Texas

Now I find out that I can't even throw the damm things away without commiting a crime... they're that bad!! To leagally dispose off them I have to employ a licensed hazardous waste contractor... as if I was not pissed off enough already.
    Thankyou all for your kind thoughts & prayers. I hope that my original post has saved fellow hambers from a similar fate.

27. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Jesus!
    I always joke about "everything is bad for us" but it seems like every time I say it, something really IS really bad for us.

Race fuel...yeah. Suffice to say if handled improperly, it can suck all the paint off your house and give you a permanant Day Glo orange Afro. Don't wash parts with it, clean up with it, let it sit open...etc,etc. it goes from the Jug to the Tank, end of story. if you get it on you, wash it off, don't wait for it to dry up. if you don't...well, they're YOUR kidneys, and if you are anything like me, you punish them enough already.

28. irishpol

irishpol
    from Texas

Kathy is begining to feel a bit better now, but we will not know for sure until the next round of tests later this week. Thank you for all your calls & emails.

29. Mike Rouse

Mike Rouse

I hope things continue to improve.
    Mike..

30. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

You cant digest them, enhale them or even throw them away but you can buy them at any grocery store in america! Go Figure.

I used to but them in my bass boat when I stored it for the winter to keep mice out. It usually took a couple trips to get rid of the smell.

I hope you and your wife are better soon. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.