Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dupont or PPG for Matte Finish

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Punch, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Punch

Punch
    from miami

I did a couple of searches and it seems the PPG Flexed n Flat Clear is the way to go. However, my body shop is set on Dupont. He has never shot a matte finish before so this a learning experience for him. What do you guys recommend the Dupont or PPG? He had some trouble mixing the Dupont the other day for various reasons.

Thanks for the assistance.

2. Hey punch..I'm no expert but I believe Dupont carries flat finishes in their Hot Hues line. I hope this helps.......best of luck!

3. Dads-53

Dads-53

Either will work, just call their tech line to see how much flatner to use in their clear and mix the same each time. I worked for BASF and you can flatten the clear or color as much as you want. Good art. in Hot Rod this month on their F Bomb. Good luck.
    Dad

4. wvenfield

wvenfield

Dupont. Keep me in a job.

5. jersey fink

jersey fink
    from jersey

ive used the dupont with no problems,took more than they reckomend to get the finish i needed,,almost 75 percent..make sure ya got a clean shop..what you spray is what you get..

6. Shane T.

Shane T.

I used the HOTHUES from DUPONT (HOTROD BLACK to be exact) and it came out wonderful. No guessing at how much flattening agent or anything. Premixed on hte shelf ready to go. Just add reducer and shoot.Going on two years old and no flattening or white areas yet.

7. Punch

Punch
    from miami

8. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I've only sprayed DuPont a few times so I would have to reccomend PPG if you were my customer. I plan to use their flattened clear on an upcoming job. Just going to need to spray a few test panels and see what ratio looks best.

All painters have different brands and lines that they get used to. Most, like me, don't really like to change between brands so I would let him roll w/ what hes comfortable with.

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

has anyone used the paint made by a company called Kirker Automotive Paint? They are touting the virtues of their urethane type black primer and a I believe a 2 part suede top coat. I researched them on the internet, but the guy that paints my stuff knows nothing about them.