Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Wayne 12 port question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Putputboom, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Putputboom

Putputboom
    from Fresno

After having read the 12 port story and a bunch of other information I was wondering if someone could tell me exactly how many Wayne 12 ports were made for the GMC 302 and exactly what one would be worth today. Thanks.

2. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

not sure on exact numbers but I think it was somewhere between 500 and 1000 might have been even less. I could be completely wrong though too. last time I saw a 12 port head it sold with the engine for 10,000(engine itself was maybe worth 500). From what I know there were a few different company's that made versions of the 12 port head. I think Arias has a newer version of a 12 port head. If someone had a mill or a cnc and either alot of time or some spare cash Im pretty sure you could make one from scratch.
    Heres some pics of a fontana 12 port head that I saved in my pic archive.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I can't remember for sure, but wasn't Nick Arias involved with Wayne back in the '50's also?

4. Putputboom

Putputboom
    from Fresno

Hmm thank you very interesting. I am interested in the original production from Wayne but it sounds like that was very limited. hobbyjp am I correct in understanding that were you to have a cnc machine the plans for a 12 port are somehow available in order to create one?

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The Arias head is a continuation of the Howard 12 port head. Howard told me that he made 20-25 of those heads. One of which I got. I believe Don Ferguson has the patterns for the Wayne head. Some time age Charlie Baker was making reproductions of the Hourning 12 port GMC head, two of which I owned. Maybe Don has those patterns now also. My understanding is that real Wayne GMC heads are iron. Later castings are aluminum.

6. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

There may be plans somewhere, a few years ago there was talk about who had the actual wood patterns to cast a new head. I just saw another post about 12 port heads and there have been many posts over the years. The heads in the pictures above belonged to 38FLATTIE and was listed in the classifieds for 6 grand. I dont think patterns exist but you also cant think inside the box and assume that you need CNC plans to make something like the head above. it is essentially a rectangular piece of aluminum with no combustion chanmber and straight holes drilled through it. you could use a standard head to figure out where holes need to be drilled and were to put your valves. Another process that has been done with 292s is cutting up v8 cylinder heads and welding them together to get a 12 port head.

7. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Search for CNC Dude on here, he's supposedly building a 12 port head. I don't know any details, but saw it on his profile.

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

As far as I know the Skinner/Fontana head is still, more or less, in production. I also think you can get new Arias/Howard heads. All of the heads discussed have water jackets and could not be made as a one piece CNC part. If you are serious about a Wayne head I would suggest you contact Paramount Forge and see if they can help. If you want any 12 port head try Arias or Fontana

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  9. Putputboom

Putputboom
    from Fresno

Ok could someone here please tell me what run they think this is exactly?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It's hard to see. Are the intake ports in pairs or 6 equal spaced? Are they at 90 degrees to the deck surface or closer to 45? It is a GMC and not a Chevy, right? Is the head iron or aluminum? It kind of looks like a Wayne Chevy from here.

11. Putputboom

Putputboom
    from Fresno

GMC 302 as stamped on dist pad. It looked to be at 90 degrees to me. Dont know the head material I didnt get to see it long enough to know.

12. Putputboom

Putputboom
    from Fresno

The only other pic I have of it. Malory dist Wayne exhaust manifold and Mcgurk valve cover.
    [​IMG]

13. incogneto

incogneto
    from Australia

It looks like a GMC 12 port to me. The spark plugs enter the head from vertical, the head bolts are evident between the intake and valve cover, it takes a stock valve cover (in the case its what looks like a McGurk) and the intake ports are not at 45 degrees to the block..

Great looking engine.

Whats it in?

14. Putputboom

Putputboom
    from Fresno

Not sure it was in some pickup stuffed in the back of a barn and covered in junk

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If it's a GMC it looks like a Wayne head. If it's iron then Wayne Hourning made it, i think.

16. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Rich, would it be correct to say that all the aluminum ones produced after Horning, were the few produced by Hoy Stevens?

17. Normbc9

Normbc9

The 12 Port in the red car i still racing with Algon Injection. The other is a complete kit that I saw and it was for sale for $15,000. and the owner wasn't interested in taking less. BUT... they do make the 302 a real competitor even in this era. Sissell's in West Covina has made a screamer out of the stronger Chevy 292's also.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

18. Putputboom

Putputboom
    from Fresno

Thanks for the information its quite fascinating. I am surprised to hear how ever that the 292 Chevy is stronger and curious as to why that might be. The engine I have seen didnt appear to be at a 45 degree angle as pictured here so I am assuming it must be a later version.

19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Charlie Baker had about 5 or 6 cast after he bought the patterns from Hoy Stevens. I bought one from him as did Don Kinkaid (publisher of the 12 Port News until his death) Don ran his at the drags extensively in his Model A coupe. Eventually he sold it to me. I had mine in Bob Dalton's streamliner at the time. It blew out a spark plug at Bonneville and we installed Don's head. Blew the head gasket. As far as I know these were the only two of Charlies heads that ever ran. The castings were very poor and more work than they were worth. California Bill Fisher (he told me he hated being called that) owned the patterns before Hoy and I know he made several aluminum heads. I'm not sure that Hoy ever made any.

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I was under the impression that Wayne GMC heads had the port faces at 90 degrees to the deck surface. Maybe not. I know the Chevys were at 45 or so. Interesting.

21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Hoy did state to the 12 Port News that he had a few (I think 6) cast at a foundry in Newark, Ohio. They had a figure 8 type valve seat cast in, and the castings required some finish welding prior to machining. I also think the cartridge-fire was eliminated in them. I got this info @ inliners.org while googling Hoy's name one day. Gene Novotny, who ran a Wayne equipped Jimmy in a sprinter for many years, also thought that Hoy had completed several heads. I love this stuff, fascinating.

22. Putputboom

Putputboom
    from Fresno

Not really related but heres the head and intake and Mcgurk intake that I purchased that were supposedly run at some point on the pictured engine. Unfortunately thats as close as I am going to come to that engine inless a bunch of my stuff sells.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  23. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

30 years ago, when I was running my GMC, Del Hall was researching for a book on 12 port heads. I see his name and number in the Inliners roster. If you don't have it pm me. There is also a name and number for Joe Fontana.

24. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

These are pics of a cast iron Wayne F Horning 12 port 302 GMC head. There aren't many of these around. Apparently less than 15 of these were cast are are worth a kings randsom. This one is running a Hilborn injection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy and volvobrynk like this.
  25. Putputboom

Putputboom
    from Fresno

Very impressive and balanced looking motor. I would really be interested in learning anything I could on Mcgurk as well if anyone has anywhere I could look for that I would really appreciate.

26. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

When I picked up the Salt Circus, Don II told me that he had the Howard patterns and the Wayne patterns. I am not sure if he currentally has any fresh castings of either, but I will ask. And I am sure if you have to ask the cost you can't afford.

27. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

All these 12 port posts are getting the history pretty well sorted. The head pictured in the car, blocked carb plates, Wayne exhaust manifolds, McGurk valve cover, is a Wayne cast iron head. Afew of these were made before my father and Wayne Horning split. My father then did the head in alum. According to my mother who kept the books there were fewer than 400 combined GMC and Chevy heads done by Wayne Manufactuering during the complete history of the company.

DW

28. Putputboom

Putputboom
    from Fresno

Typo as a rule of thumb you are probably absolutely correct. Dan very neat. I agree there has been some excellent posts on some of the history and thanks for your input on it. Those are very low production numbers and the more I find out the more I am interested in trying to obtain this purely for the fascinating history which accompanys the manufacture alone. Well for the time being it is forbidden fruit but maybe one day I can get it then I would be interested in finding some of the history as to the vehicle its self as I am sure with the immense knowledge on this site people will know the vehicle and be able to trace it somewhere.

29. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Here are a couple installed in Sprinters. First is what I believe to be the Gene Novotny #3, and the butt kicking #37 of Hoy Stevens. The #37, by this time, would almost certainly have had one of Hoy's own castings on it. That is Claire Lawicki in it in 1966. Both cars exist today. The unrestored #3 is in Speedy Bill Smith's museum, and the #37 has been fully restored and is somewhere in NW Ohio.

Attached Files:

30. The first time I heard about a Wayne head was when I was working with El and Harvey Teague at Swinerton and Walberg in LA. They just got their old dragster back and were going to restore it. I think the dragster is in the Peterson Museum now.

I got to sit in the streamliner one day. They are real nice people.