Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barris...the legend lives on

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChevyGirlRox, Sep 19, 2005.

1. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

This weekend I had the opprotunity to hang out with a living legend, George Barris. He was the Grand Marshal of the Glenmoor Gathering of Significant Automobiles in Canton, Ohio. The feature of the show this year was Kustoms, so how could Barris not be there? He was quite possibly the nicest public figure I have ever met. He signed autographs day and night and was willing to talk to everyone, from the director of the show to the waite staff. I knew he was coming and hoped that I would meet him. I was pleasantly suprised Friday morning to get the call that he was coming to my office! (Note the picture of him and I, I'm not really awake yet) The Hirohata Merc made an apperance along with a few other famous Kustoms done by both Barris and Valley Customs among others. I'm sure many of you may remember a recent post about the Hirohata Merc and it's history by Rikster. It was so awesome to finally see the car in person after reading about it and seeing it in magazines all my life. He shared so many neat stories with me about celebrities and the cars he created for them and all of the good people he has met over the years. I especially enjoyed hearing him talk about James Dean and what really happened that day and since then with his Porsche. We were looking over my new copy of CKD and he asked to have it because he liked it so much! He told me about a GTO he's working on right now. I hope when I'm 80 I'll still be working on cars! Here are some pictures...lots more to come....

Attached Files:

2. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

More Kustom pics: the Dream Truck and the Polynesian

Attached Files:

3. 53burb

53burb

You can say no wrong about Mr. Barris! The man is soo kool. I see him all the time since I live like down the street from him.
    Way kool person! I see him at our local Bob's Big Boy out here in Toluca Lake and his shop is like straight down the street from there. I helped him in with his Jaguar at the Moon Eyes car show Xmas time and he offered me a free shit for that. I declined and told him it was just nice having him around still so I can rub elbows with him. Georgie his daughter, and his son Brett, are nice too. The man is a living legend and a way kool one to that has not let fame get him to big headed. KNUX!

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

All man Chevygirlrox, I would have loved to made it up to see him and hang out too but i had a very busy weekend and couldn't get away.
    Thanks so much for sharing and i don't blame him for hanging out with a good looking chick like you.
    Great pics and i'm glad to see you finally came out of the woodwork where you belong right here with us!
    I'm sure you got more of the other cars. Show us more please??:D
    And don't downsize them so small. Usiually about 6''x 8'' are good size.:D
    PJ

5. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

chevy girl your making the pics too small, when we try to click on them to see a better view, they are still the same size!!!:eek:

hows about sending me some of the green merc to my mail? im looking for inspiration for my new merc. [email protected] thanks

6. johnboyrox

johnboyrox
    from Ottawa, KS

Sweet...that must have been cool--hey, we have the same last name--are we related?

7. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Sorry about the pics thing...this was my first post with pics, I'll do better next time. I will be happy to send the larger resolutions to anyone that wants them. Just let me know.

As for the last name Rox, we must be related...maybe brother and sister!:)

8. Gracie

Gracie

How many times did he rub against your ass and tits "accidentally"? Did you just act like it didn't happen?

9. I like it when Gracie talks dirty.....:D

10. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

Gracie do you have a story to tell?:eek: :D :D

11. CruZer

CruZer

About eight years ago,we were walking around the Boston World of Wheels show and there was George sitting at a table all by himself. There was a big sign over him announcing who he was and NOBODY was anywhere near him. Boy, did we take advantage of that situation. We visited with him for about 15 minutes .What a nice guy.
    That same show, Big Daddy Roth was at the other end of the hall selling his stuff and he only had a few people around him.
    Two legends in the same place and neither of them got mobbed !!!

12. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Wow...GREAT pics...thanks a lot !

13. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Don't flatter yourselves ladies, he does it to me, too. :D

14. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

hey ChevyGirl... can't really tell from the pics, but is that the original Hirohata or the clone? I thought the original had a blue motor. Probably got changed a long time ago anyway...

15. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

As for the T&A questions...he was pretty forward about it, I think he took a shot of my cleavage at one point!;) Growing up in the car hobby I'm used to old men and their ways though, so it didn't affect me much.
    The merc that was there is the original, I met the owner that bought on his way to work one day, talk about a find! Both him and his wife are super nice people. In addition to the Kustoms there there were also a lot of really special classic jags and duesenbergs. They aren't exactly my bag but you can definitely appreciate their beauty. Afterall, without them we wouldn't have what we have today! Plus they had some cool ol skool bikes, I'll post some pics of those tomorrow. I definitely think it was one of the best weekends of my life.

16. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

That's really cool! I had met him five or ten years ago, wish I could meet him again.

BTW I love your signature! That's the funniest song ever!!

17. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Gotta ask, was that the real Polynesian or the clone built by that Ballard guy in Indiana??

The last story that I heard was that the guy in Dayton who has it in his Red Laquer Room shop was finally gonna restore it.

Was this it's first time out?

B:confused:B

18. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

To the best of my knowledge it was the original. It is true that the Red Lacquer Room of Cuyahoga Falls did just re do it. It showed up Sunday late for the show smelling like fresh paint. I heard that hung the trim that morning! Nonetheless, I'm glad it showed. I know they were having a last minute scramble to find parts, a friend of mine started getting calls about 3 weeks ago looking for parts. They passed out cards at the show, here is what they said:

"Custom body work by Valley Custom Shop, Burbank, Calif. The Polynesian was designed and created from a 1950 Olds Holiday by removing a 4" wide section from the center of the body. Top and bottom were rejoined by welding, no lead was used. Style features clean lines and trim simplicity. The hand-made front and rear ends feature functional Air Scoops surrounding recessed head and tail lights. Custom work took 7 months. Interior in yellow and ivory. Leatherette took 5 weeks. Named from the Southsea Islands, the Polynesian has 2 1/2 gallons of metallic lacquer called Orchid Flame. No other car will be made like it.
    Features: 110 V House Current, Fiberglass insulation, Power brakes, 45 Record Player, Modified 185 h.p. 88 engine, Safety belts and tires, Electric doors and trunk, Magnetic tape recorder."

19. The Rod and Custom Dream truck is my favorite of all time.

Thanks for the pic's.

20. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Thanks ChevyGirlRox. I saw the clone at the KKOA thing in Davenport Iowa in the late 80's. 89 I think and it was done very well.

I would love to see the original some time, I hope he has it to some of the shows in the midwest.

Thanks again for the Pic's.

B:cool:B

21. Must have been an east coast vs west coast thing:D ! I would have been around both of them till they called security!LOL:D

22. BostonCat

BostonCat

Holy thread ressurection, Batman, but...

I was at that same show, same scenario. I'm walking around, see George Barris, and he's sittin there twiddling his thumbs. It was just a random table in the middle of the show. No one within 10 yards of him. I got to talk to him for a little while, cool guy. I think he was impressed that an 18 yr old kid knew who he was. Got an autographed pic, for free. Was 1998.

Couple years later, after he designed the "fast and furious" shitboxes, he returned to the World of Wheels, sat behind some velvet ropes and charged $5 a head to sign a little picture of the vomit-green Mitsubishi asshole from the movie. Line was 50 people long.

Can't be too upset, he's a businessman after all.