Register now to get rid of these ads!

350 vortec 400+hp build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by v8nova64, Apr 28, 2012.

1. v8nova64

v8nova64
    from !!

I know it possible to build a 5.7L vortec from a 96-2000 chevy truck to make 400+ hp with the change of a cam, rocker arms, valve springs, distributor, carb and a manifold with NO machine work required. I have some questions please do not reply to this thread if you cannot answer what i am asking. thank you

I will be buying a 5.7L vortec engine complete and runnig with the 64cc heads.

I have read that i can use a high lift cam by using LS6 valve springs, and comp cams 787-16 retainers.

i will be using the proper intake and a holley 750.

I need recommendations on a cam and rocker arms that will work for this engine.

I would like to know if these rockers will work?

I noticed that speedway and summit both have their own camshafts that are much cheaper than comp cams or the like. If possible i would like to use a summit racing or speedway camshaft under $150.

I would need to know what the specs of the camshaft i will need? I will not be doing any machining to the block so the camshaft must just slide in after the valve springs and rocker arms have been done.

If someone could give me a reccomendation on which rocker arms to use that would be great. trying to stay around a $100 for these also.

The stock engine with the 64cc heads has 9.4:1 compression. Will i need to up this compression to reach my 400+ horsepower goal?

If so will these flat top pistons fit without any troubles?If they do indeed fit they would give 10.14:1 compression.

Again PLEASE DO NOT POST IF YOU DONT HAVE AN ANSWER TO MY QUESTIONS. thanks

2. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Don't worry, no one would even think of posting here if they didn't have an answer to your questions :) The folks on the HAMB are good at doing what they are told.

3. v8nova64

v8nova64
    from !!

i should get decent mpg out of it also.

4. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Hey wait a minute.......I never did like being told what to do! If you had a question about a flattie or hemi or y block I'm sur you would get lots of answers. I think if you post that question on Popular Chevy or super Truck you might get your answers to your belly button question!

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I like pistachios. No, really, I do.

6. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

So do I ... I 'm gonna got to the store and get some. mmmm. pistachios...

7. alumslot

alumslot

If I had the right answer I would post it but since I don't I wont post on here.

Jim

8. Where's the bunny with a pancake on his head ?

9. Vortec's use different rockers than regular SBC's. One uses "self-aligning", one doesn't. Can't remember which is which.

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'm going for more of a "Canadiana" theme today...
    [​IMG]

11. HamD

HamD

Don't be this way or you won't get a tip.

The issue is, some have gotten by with very close retainer to valve boss/guide clearance. Others have machined the heads to either gain clearance or peace of mind. Read this: http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/148_0208_vortec_heads_valve_lift/index.html as it goes over the details.

The rockers you picked out are non-guided. Iron heads which have an opening that acts as a guide plate for the pushrod (or ones with guide plates) need non-guided rockers. Heads with a bigger opening that doesn't guide the pushrod need guided rockers.

www.kmjent.com/cart/product.php?productid=371&cat=20164562&page=1 are one set that would work. They make 1.6 ratio too.

If you want 400hp and mileage, you're going to want to go roller cam, since you already have the block, the lifters (re-use them,) and all the hardware for it. This way you can get higher lift and shorter duration than a flat tappet would necessitate.

Figure out your rear gear, tire size, stall of the converter and *THEN* contact a cam mfgr. Because they don't want to talk to you if you don't have an answer to their questions.

BTW, you're being cheap.

12. rld14

rld14

Diamond has these almonds that have chocolate or something in them, pick some of them up while you're at it.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

And nuts are good for your prostate too...Pretty important, considering the median age of this group...

14. v8nova64

v8nova64
    from !!

Sorry guys I'm just in a bad mood I guess again I apoligize. I know all u great guys on the hamb are just trying to help out as best as u can.

If I may ask a few more questions just to recap.

Basically my parts list would be:

-complete running 1996+ 5.7L vortec block with 64cc heads (and remove all the computer stuff and efi along with the cam and rocker arms)
    -ls6 valve springs with the comp cams retainers
    -self aligning 1.6 roller rockers
    -hei distributor
    -edelbrock performer intake for vortec heads
    -a 750 holley carb
    - a camshaft that matches my drivetrain

Is there anything else I would need to add to my parts list?
    Like u said I can reuse all my roller parts.

Also is there a difference between the vortec camshafts and sbc camshafts. When I search for camshafts they don't list vortec. Are there specific vortec camshafts? Also does the compression need to be upped from 9.4:1 in order produce atleast 400hp with the parts on my list? If so are there special pistons for the vortec or can I buy flat top pistons with a 4" bore for a 350 sbc?

Thanks in advance. Again sorry for my behavior earlier.

15. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

So how did we do

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, since you asked a little nicer (and I got a chance to post my "elk with a chair on his head " pic, I have been sitting on that one for a long time) If you machine the stud bosses down and install screw-in studs with guide plates, you dont need guided rockers. And google "Dirt Reynolds Ghetto grind". Cant believe I am being so helpful, it goes against my nature, as well as my better judgement...

17. HamD

HamD

If you're on a budget, use your rocker money towards a nice roller cam; plan on staying 1.5 and include that in your discussion w/ cam mfgrs.

1986 to 2003 SBC bottom ends are the same except for the 86 block being non-roller valley. So the 5.7 iron head truck engine is a SBC. Same cam interchange applies.

The Vortec chambers are excellent and you can probably run a little higher compression on 87 octane. This depends on your cam and this is where engine builders near you are worth talking to even if you're not ready yet to buy and build.

Horsepower means jack. The amount of area under a torque curve matters. And you have heads already chosen which are optimal in a moderate RPM range. In short, you're not going to have a 7000rpm shift point from stock Vortec cast heads. Gearing matters heavily too. So you want to cam it to make excellent power where it matters. My DD spends a lot of time at 1800rpm with a SBC because of rear gear, the converter and shift points. So if I cammed it to make power starting at 3000rpm, it would be stupid and I'd hurt mileage.

Send me all the EFI crap for free. Thanks.

18. brandon

brandon

Ill have to find cam number...just did a 98ish vortec motor. Changed springs and cut guides...540ish lift hyd roller and airgap intake. Went 11.20's in 72 stock body nova a couple weeks ago

19. Biscayner

Biscayner
    from MN

Here is what I have in my firebird. A 1997 Vortec 350 out of a 1 ton truck all stock except for the following items.

Air gap performer rpm intake
    600 1405 eddy carb modified
    1 5/8" headers and what you are looking for,

I used a LT4 hot cam, LT4 valve springs with the stock lifters and I took the
    stock rockers and slotted them. Why you ask? I do not like to use the heavy roller tip
    rockers on the street or roller rockers either. Too much extra weight on the tip floats the valves sooner. Was told this by an old time racer and you know what? it works. Besides stock rockers are cheap and work good. You just need to use a 1/8" die grinder with a good burr to do this.

This combo pulls to 6500 with out effort, boils the tires and get 17 mpg.

20. v8nova64

v8nova64
    from !!

Cool some cam specs would be awesome! Is that a quarter mile time? What tranny and rear gears? What size carb? What kind of valve springs? Did u used the stock rocker arms? Did you keep the stock pistons or upgrade for higher compression? Sorry for all the questions

21. v8nova64

v8nova64
    from !!

Awesome what do u think u have for hp? Is is stock compression?

22. Race@Rockets

Race@Rockets

Good combo listed above....11.20's is movin for a full weight street car I would like to hear more about the rest of his combo...mine is wayyyy nastier than that and it doesn't run that deep into the elevens. :)

23. brandon

brandon

I totally goofed on that post....the car is my nephews...and forgot its now a fastburn headed 98 vortec 350. The old vortec headed motor with 488/292 hyd cam went 11.80's....sorry for the confusion....though i doubt there would be much more than 20/30 hpdifference between fastburns and steel vortecs

24. brandon

brandon

Effiency is the key to vortec stuff....dont need crazy big stuff to go fast. I know that a 330/350 "crate" motor ihra stocker. 465 Lift and 262 @ 50....went 10.80's in a 79super malibu

25. Biscayner

Biscayner
    from MN

Yes it is stock compression and I est. it is 420 to 440 hp. I am thinking of trying some Bow tie Vortec heads I just bought as they flow 260ish out of the box and the heads I have flowed 231. Should be good for some extra hp. The eddy 600 1405 is the best combo I have tried on this engine. Had to modify it a little to get rid of the dreaded flat spot when putting the pedal all the way down fast, but now it just flies.

26. v8nova64

v8nova64
    from !!

awesome thats exactly the kind of power i want. do you have a 1/4 mile ET and weight of the car you ran it in so i can estimate hp? Also what kind of tranny and rear gears? Is there any chance you would be getting that combo dynoed before you put on the new heads you wanna try? I guess running a large 750 holley may not be the best choice. Do the LT4 valve springs just drop in place of the stock vortec springs or do they require any other parts? thanks alot!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  27. k9racer

k9racer

I am not running a vortec engine but I have a set of the vortec heads on a 355 engine in a circle track car . I can tell the difference in power . The next think I will add I also have the same engine as you in storage. mine has cast number that ends with 880.. I bought mine at what I thought was a very fair price of 400 dollars with trans. from a running but wrecked unit with less than 80K miles. This means I am looking forward to seeing how your build up does as I have been thinking along the same lines as you.. Good Luck on the build... Keep us posted.. Thank You Bobby.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  28. v8nova64

v8nova64
    from !!

does anyone know if the edelbrock performer air gap will work with a stock quadrajet? What kind of cfm do they pull? Do you think thestock vortec with lt4 hot cam and lt4 springs combo that "Biscayner" has pulls 420-440 hp?

29. indyjps

indyjps

I like Q Jets but you should consider a Holley for the hp goal youre going for. check out http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/ they are always building these engines and selling parts, you will find vortec specific info there.

checking summit racing, there isnt a spread bore performer RPM, with or without air gap. Performer is the only edelbrock offered with vortec and spread bore.

square bore carb edelbrock performer rpm air gap http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-7516/

square bore carb edelbrock performer rpm NO air gap http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-7116/

spread bore (Q Jet) edelbrock performer
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-2116/