Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Ford Column Drop-and a few other parts- Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chris98006, Apr 16, 2012.

1. chris98006

chris98006
    from Seattle WA

Hey All, This last weekend I scored some parts at my father-in-laws farm. I have a few questions-

1-I found a 37 (I think) column drop, it's pretty rough, and I wanted to use it. Where can I get the "guts" for this?

2- I found a set of headlight bezels, I think they are 37-39 ford. They have a small crescent shape glass part on the bottom of them and they are ribbed at the top. Any idea of the year?

3-I found a "Firestone" gauge that reads from 5-15. Any ideas what this can be used for? On the back of it, there is a hard line to a switch or dial that was mounted below it.

I will try to get some pics posted tonight. I would like to use the column drop if possible, and probably sell the other stuff-

Cheers'

Chris

2. chris98006

chris98006
    from Seattle WA

3. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

You might have better luck on the Ford Barn. The headlight bezels as described don't sound like Ford. Right shape, perhaps, but Ford didn't have the crescent lenses.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Drps are pretty much do it yourself. Nacewicz old Ford bolts has some minor parts like the spring and ball, but all else has to be cleaned and fixed.

5. F&J

F&J

Likely aftermarket sealed beam conversion bezels that may fit the 37/38 and 39 Standard, but were made in the 40s. Companies like Electroline.

I had NOS 37 Electrolines that were ribbed/chromed, but no cresent lenses. My label said 1937 for what it fit, so i guess they are all different: 37/38 and 39 in Standard model.

Some were chrome, some black. Yours could be same company, but 38, or 39 Standards. I know I've seen black ones with the cresent lens.

6. chris98006

chris98006
    from Seattle WA

Thx all! Not sure if the column drop is salvagable. It may be easier to start with a core that's not completely pitted and frozen up!

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Well, start by dropping it into a bucket of diesel and let it soak for a while.

8. JStegenga

JStegenga

I have a set of these aftermarket bezels that I would like to put on my '37 Ford but am not able to figure out how to mount the sealed beam bulbs. Do you have the retainer assembly?

9. F&J

F&J

I sold the complete set-up 5 years ago. It did have special retainers in the kit

You might be able to use retainers from a 40 or newer car, that came with sealed beams from the factory. Try to see if Bob Drake catalog has repro retainers for a 40 with a good picture

10. JStegenga

JStegenga

I purchased a set of '40 Ford headlight buckets complete with the retainers. Unfortunately, they don't work with the aftermarket bezels. I might be able to remove the retainers and install them in my '37 buckets, but hate to cut-up the new buckets. I'll keep exploring alternatives.
    Thanks for your reply
    Jack