Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Barn find or Hoarding!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CRUZN60, Sep 8, 2011.

1. CRUZN60

CRUZN60

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

BARN FIND! Thanks for posting the links, it has been a hot topic on several websites all week long. I really want to know how they can run an auction with that many items in an orderly way. Thanks for saving all that stuff Lee!

3. cakes

cakes

thats a hoarder, sorry, its just a bit excessive. People could use all of those things, Like me and you. All of it will never be touched by one guy. Just my opinion.

4. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I know a guy with a pole building that looks almost like that. He has newer '50 and '60 cars stored away on the ground floor. He built a mezzine above one row of cars, when that got full of car parts he built another mezzine on the other side. When that got full of car parts he spanned a floor across and now has that filled with car parts. He just keep on buying. His kids are going to have one heck of an auction when he departs our world.

5. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

wow...... just wow.

6. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

A pretty well known auction house is handling this "COLLECTION"

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if I had the space and money I'd have a place just like that. spend all my time hunting for cool stuff. sounds like fun to me.

8. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

So would I, but then we'd have to listen to others bitch and whine about us being "hoarders". The stuff is out there ... we just have to get off our dead asses and go find it.

9. funk 49

funk 49

incredible collection

10. titus

titus

Very cool collection, i was able to go there a couple of years ago, its was a neat time.

And if someones got the money to buy something all the more power to them, think about it, they probably saved alot of stuff from being scrapped etc etc, hoarders=savers.

jeff

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

While I realize it was his money to do with as he pleased, and we all have our little stashes we won't part with, that one just makes no sense at all. There is no way he could ever get to 1/100 of those cars to do anything with them, and all it did was keep them away from hot rodders or restorers who WOULD have put them on the road and enjoyed them.

I find it very sad on a couple of levels, but maybe now that he is gone lots of cars and parts will make hundreds of people happy instead of just one man. At least he stored them nice and dry, so the new owners will have a pretty good start.

Don

12. hemi

hemi

That's insane...

13. krooser

krooser

And now you will have a chance to own them...thanks to the guy who saved them from the crusher when they were worthless...

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Personally I think it is great that a guy can amass a collection of stuff like this, it made him happy, and every item had a story, he enjoyed showing the collection to others I've been told. A car or motorcycle doesn't have to be on the road to be enjoyed, its art and history just sitting there.

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I don't see how anyone can condemn that as anything but a very enjoyable passtime. here's a clue for the clueless.. cars do not have to be driven to be enjoyed... just like I can't drive my vintage toy collection. I guess I should give them to kids so they can play with them.

I think the people who don't get it don't realize the search and discovery of cool old junk is a very big part of it. thats why I loved ebay before they fucked it all up... I could go to a swap meet or antique show and spend the rent money on cool stuff, then sell some morejunk and still pay rent. I enjoyed the search. I sure the fuck didn't do it for the money. could have made more as a clerk at 7-11.

16. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

And only a hop skip and jump away from me,guss I`ll go broke at this one......

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

By the way Lee was a junk man by trade, he was paid to clean out peoples garages and estates, thankfully he saw the historical value in this stuff and preserved it.

18. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

maybe ill have some money to play with by then! what an awesome collection, overload of cool stuff.. what the heck is the twin grilled 37 ford looking thing?? or is that what it exactley is?:eek:

19. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I am totally speechless to what I saw ! I wouldn't call it hoarding because everything had it's own place so you can see what he had . Hoarders just though stuff in piles and have no idea on what they have . They just keep everything from rags to junk . This collection tells you what the man saw in many different things through out his lifetime ! It amazes me how well he had everything in place so you can walk around and see what he collected ! I can't even imagine how many cars , trucks , motorcycles he has in that collection alone . Not to even think about the other things he collected . He didn't collect just one thing either . He collected everything he saw that was worth looking at and saving that he had through his "entire life" in there . It's a life time of memories that that man saw and did and he wanted to save everything he did in his lifetime to enjoy and remember when he got older in his life ! Everything in there has a meaning that only he knew what it meant to him .
    That has to be the largest collection of history I have ever seen in one place ! As for the value of everything , that will go into many , many millions of dollars and some of those items are very rare too !
    Thanks for posting this for all of us to see the many things we will never see again ! I guess when it does come up to auction , it's going to take a very long time to take inventory of everything in his collection . I will be very curious to see what the total final value of his lifetime of savings is worth !

Retro Jim

20. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

November 3-5,2011 Glenview,IL

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Retro Jim! There is a thread on this auction on the AACA website, there will be catalogs for the auction at Hershey. How this much stuff can be auctioned in three days just has to be seen to be believed. They can't catalog everything, must just plan to start at the door and sell stuff until the building is empty.

22. Dyce

Dyce

About 3 minuits into the first video it looks like a slant windsheild on a stock 30-31 model a coupe?!!

I would love to meat the guy and talk to him about some of the history behind the stuff if he is still around. Is this an estate sale?

You buy stuff and nobody bitches until you sell it for more and make a profit. You buy stuff and keep it and get to a collection like this and people bitch and call it hoarding. He was a caretaker the way I look at it, and he paid the price I'm sure for the responsablity. It looks like he takes or took great care of everthing. Good for him!!

23. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Awesome. Looks a bit chaotic at first, but then actually fairly well organized if you look at it. Sounds like he literally saved the junk people wanted to toss out. Too bad it can't just be preserved like that.

24. sololobo

sololobo

STUNNED!! The dual grill 37inish car was crazy. This sale will last a long time, enjoyed seeing this. The dirt floor was a shame as a lot of stuff has been damaged by dust etc. But thats the way it goes, should be the find of the decade. Thanks for the excellent footage. ~sololobo~

25. He loved it so much he saved it all for the people that show up at the auction.

Some really awesome pieces!! I wish I could come to see it all. Amazing!

26. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Holy sweet jeebus christmas !!!!
    My wife is saying "no you can't"
    I've just given my 18yo son a slapping for saying " he'd sell it all" (where did I go wrong).
    That's what I want my shed to look like.

Scotty.

27. brad chevy

brad chevy

The calling this guy a hoarder is just from flat jealousy that you don"t have the stuff. I say the guy enjoyed what he did in life. Would have been nice to have met him and even nicer to have been with him on the long journey collecting all those things. A hoarder is someone that piles up meaningless shit but this is a well organized collection of stuff. The guys calling him a hoarder are in the same group that give advice like (Just wait till the old guy dies then you can buy it cheap from the kids ).

28. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

Lee Roy Hartung, may he R.I.P., was a collector Not a hoarder...........

29. ARTSWRK

ARTSWRK

Wow!! very cool!

30. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Wow! I would have loved to talk to this guy. Could you imagine the stories he had to tell. It looks like a well organized collection to me,and I'm sure it brought him great joy. I bet he knew where every piece was.