Register now to get rid of these ads!

Unsticking a seized engine, tips?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopper daddy, Nov 11, 2005.

1. chopper daddy

chopper daddy

My 49 Chrysler flat 6 recently locked up. I am still in the process of checking it over, and I plan on pulling the oil pan for a look next.

Here's my question, I read threads here before that mentioned using everything fro Diesel to Coke. My neighbor said he had heard that tomato juice works.

What do you think? I pulled the head off 2 weeks ago, and squirted some thin machine oil on the pistons, and all but 1 drained. Then I poured 10w40 and the same thing happened, but took longer. It's probably that one or maybe 2 that are sticking. Think I can free them up with one of these concoctions before I have to pull pistons out?

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

"recently locked up", like it was running and stopped?

I would disassemble first, the cause will show intself

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

things to consider, when did it seize, running or rusting? either way, experience (my uncle is an old chrysler tech) says a hone job and knurled pistons will get it back going, but if you want to run it long term, machining will be necessary, ie oversized pistons.

once the pan is off, rods are un-done, pound each piston up and out with a wooden block and a dead blow. use some heat, like a propane torch, not a flame wrench, shouldn't do too much damage.

4. chopper daddy

chopper daddy

It wasn't running yet, but I had backfires and was close. Then one day, nothin.

I read that tech post, and I think I'll try the Diesel. I thought I'd see if anyone had heard of the Tomato Juice idea though. It was new to me.

N8inks said to use "V8", and that'll make my 6 a better engine! :)

5. chopper daddy

chopper daddy

It could also be stuck valves, so I think I'll try soaking everything first, then dig into the pistons if I have to.

6. Snafu

Snafu

I use to pick up old engines from junk yards. I made a mixture or automatic transmission fluid and kerosene. Depending on how stuck the engine is, usually a 50/50 works well.

7. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

I wouldn't recommend using tomato juice - it's very acidic. Might etch the crank bearings and cam surfaces.

Using diesel has a good reputation in these parts, as well as a product called "Knock'r'loose".

Might have broken a ring, too - that would require careful disassembly.

8. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

A long time ago I found a '64 409 Impala with the engine stuck. I made a mixture of Penetrating oil and Lubriplate and dumped it down each hole 3 times over a week's time. At the end of the week I put a cheater bar with a socket on the crank and rocked it back and forth-it worked, and , when I sold the car it still ran good-(why did I ever sell it?:(

Craig

9. "Tomato Juice" ? Ya maybe if it locked up after hitting a Skunk !!! I have never heard that before...Doesn't meen it's not true,:D just hits me as funny !

10. chopper daddy

chopper daddy

Yeah, I thought it sounded funny. That's why I threw it out here to see if it was valid.

Plus, the clean-up would be a mess!

11. Ya but it does give a whole new meaning to " I Could of had A V8 "

12. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

I heard this and used it once and it amazed the hell out of me. Filled the cylinders with coca cola. 25 years seized. 2 days free. Still running.

13. Dirty2

Dirty2

That is what Hot Heades told me to do to my HEMI !!!

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Were you trying to start it with starting fluid?,if you dont get the motor running soon it will freeze up due to the starting fluid taking all the lubrication from the cylinders. I had this happen to me as I was trying to start it in the fall and could not and when I went the next spring the motor was stuck so it got soaked and I got it unstuck. I bought a 65 galaxie parts car that sat for over 30 years to use the stick parts and the low mile 289 but during bumping the motor over to check the valve operation the bottom end siezed due to lack of oil even though it was full as oil never got up in the motor as the motor did not spin very fast. Jeff

15. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

a couple of my uncles old original greasy friends from back in the day had a stuck engine. they poured diesel in the cylinders let it sit for awhile then tryed it and i guess the hotter burning diesel fired it up. as far as i know the engine still runs to this day.

JR

16. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

I used it once and 2 friends did it and its worked all of the times......

17. speaker

speaker

I use Coke as the deruster on old tools.

Let them soak in it for a few days and the rust is gone.

18. junk-junkie

junk-junkie
    from Arvada CO

I've plugged off intake and exhaust and plumbed low pressure air into the spark plug hole to aid penetrating oil in a really stuck motor... PITA when you have a motor with too many cylinders. :)

19. Here's what I'd do. I'd squirt some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cyls, take the Tomato juice and make me a bloody mary. Let it sit all day (engine, not bloody mary) and into the night. Then I'd take the Coke and mix it with some rum. Then I'd use a breaker bar on the crank end and rock it to the music of your choice. Since you are into raiding the kitchen try some strong coffee and a cheater pipe on the breaker bar if the engine doesn't free up. Be sure to eat with all that drinking so you have the strength to bust it loose. Hope this helps, man.

20. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Chili knows.

21. Marvel Mystery Oil + 24 Hours + Big Ass Cheater Bar = Miracle.