Register now to get rid of these ads!

question to my painters "Painting flake"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frankie Bulldog, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Frankie Bulldog

Frankie Bulldog
    from Miami, Fl

sup guys n gurls, alright here's my question see if y'all can answer or give opinions, ive always used a modified devillbliss gun, but its starting to fail, and i hear that the "flake buster" wastes flake and lays the flake dry on wet paint, in reality for that i might as well just put the flake in my hand and trow it on the damn car, so here's my point, i wanna buy a new gun just for flake, so any opinions?? i buy all my shit from lil'daddy roth even my pinstripe enamel, is there new flake bomber worth it? or is there anything else out there better, give me a hollar y'all!

Attached Files:

2. rustang

rustang

I'm no expert....but by the look of those "flake guns" you would have flake everywhere in the shop and in your butt-crack for years upon years to come......

Reminds me of coming home with "stripper-glitter" on my face and my wife giving me the hairy eyeball..... :)
    Tom

3. Frankie Bulldog

Frankie Bulldog
    from Miami, Fl

lmfao!

4. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

You might not be looking at strippers if her eyeball wasnt hairy. That just sounds gross:eek:

5. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

On the Roth Gun, I thought I had seen somebodys(on here) review about just taking a HF HVLP gun, and drilling the tip out to a bigger size. Im tooo lazy to look for it, but let us know what you find.

I guess the other question would be how big of flake you laying down??

6. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

MMmmmmm stripper glitter........

7. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

years ago , marbles were used in the (binks 7) paint guns

:cool:

8. Frankie Bulldog

Frankie Bulldog
    from Miami, Fl

Yea, I modified one of DB guns for it but I wanna lay down monster size flake I called da boys out there in Lil daddy roth's and dey said dey had another gun called the loose cannon that shoots out a 3.0, I'm thinking bout getting it n trying it out, hoping to see if anyone has already yet

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. BJR

BJR

Back in the day I used a Binks #7 with marbles in the cup to keep the flake and clear mixed by shaking the cup between strokes. Don't know if you can get a big enough tip to spray monster flake with a Binks #7 though. Maybe drilling out a smaller tip would work, but maybe the needle would not let the big flake through. It would be an interesting experiment.

10. What the fuck kind of language is that ?

Sent analog via smoke signals and jungle drums

11. Lpdesignz

Lpdesignz
    from Sin city

I spray hok flakes through my regular sata with no issues... The big ass flake I don't bother with myself I like the look of the micro and regular..

12. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

LOL, kinda what I was thinking! We speak english on here, or as close as we can get, we dont try to look like idiots most of the time anyway....

As far as the flake goes I just shot some old flake that I had from the 60's and used an old cheep siphon feed gun with a couple marbles in it, shook the crap out of it every little bit and it worked great, it was some big flake too. I wouldnt spend a bunch on a special gun for shooting flake, hell you have to burry it so damn deep whats it matter, you can spray it with a bed liner gun and be ok. Jim

13. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

U-POl makes a gun with a tip that is like 3.0 for spraying their high build primer and it works great. I plan on using it to shoot flake but haven't had the opportunity yet. I use a DeVilbiss Millineum with a 2.2 tip to spray flake with great results but monster flake would be out of the question.

14. I'm sure the spell checker function said screw it, you're on your own. Seems like it would take longer to type. I don't know anything about metal flake though but I like it, sometimes.

15. Frankie Bulldog

Frankie Bulldog
    from Miami, Fl

you know i find it very ignorant for you guys to make fun of me because i wrote in ebonics which in all honesty was only one word used maybe more than once through out my whole statement, sorry i'm not a literature scholar or a pro in forum writing like you guys, i thought this was a place to ask for opinions and help, not a place to get made fun of on the way i wrote my responses, grow up

16. cayager

cayager

wow this is gonna get good

17. HalfEvil333

HalfEvil333

I have the ol schoolflake flake buster, when used correctly you end up with a very good job, it has serious advantages over the traditional in clear method. If you buy the gun get the dvd as well, You can also YouTube search "flake buster" and will get some good videos too. With the flake buster you can actually apply flake that is up to 1/8" !!!! I have used .025 flake on many projects and it always turns out great. you actually end up with less waste and less mess if done correctly too. The air pressure used is almost non existent so the flake control is really good.

Here's an example of some junk I did with it a while back, this is .025" Kustom shop flake

[​IMG]

18. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

*grabs popcorn* Someone get me a beer!

19. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

It's called "divorce dust"...

20. grf-x

grf-x

Will a Guinness do?

21. grf-x

grf-x

Totally diggin' the flake size and color on this.

22. grf-x

grf-x

Unless you have one hell of an arm, perfect aim and perfect timing... (five knuckle shuffling doesn't count) Throwing flake at a car will get you know where near a flake buster :) I have used the flake buster and the mini flake buster and I am happy with what it can do for me. Bare in mind, I don't have a pro paint shop.

There are work arounds for gathering the unused flake for reuse. But again... I don't have a huge paint booth the keep up.

Practice with a flake buster and you might find yourself happy with it.

But I think YOU are going to be happier with a wet application using a gun with a large opening.

Best of luck.

And no one gets off lucky here. Everything is open game for fun poking, slamming and ridicule. Most of us are old school or young with old school heart hot rodders. Ask your questions and brace yourself. Good luck with the flake.

23. Frankie Bulldog

Frankie Bulldog
    from Miami, Fl

looks good, i herd the flake buster waste flake at times, like it pours out, is that true?

24. Frankie Bulldog

Frankie Bulldog
    from Miami, Fl

thanks

25. austinhunt

austinhunt

Hey, you have to remember that you're talking to a bunch of crusty hot rodders that are stuck in thier ways.... and the young guys that are trying to keep that way of life going. You ask for an opinion here and you'll get it!

Hairy eyeballs aside... my vote is wet (we all like that) and through an old siphon gun. An HVLP with a hogged out tip will not atomize the paint well. A higher pressure gun will be the ticket.

Mind you, I'm not a painter.

26. wallyringo

wallyringo

so ive never tried this how is it done? you have two guns one to shot your paint than switch to the flake buster? and repeat a few times? it does sound pretty messy but when it comes to body work or painting when is it not?

27. gerry miller

gerry miller

LMAO Too!
    New Name for flake paint jobs STRIPPER GLITTER:D:D:D

When I painted Metal flake years ago I used my Binks Model 7

28. HalfEvil333

HalfEvil333

as you can see in the picture I posted of the orange flake, There isn't a lot on the floor of the booth, granted, I'm spraying in a top of the line fancy schmancy paint booth. The air pressure I use with the flake buster is around 10-15psi. Next to nothing. Spray a panel with the slowest clearcoat possible, dust the flake on with the flake buster, you aren't using pressure to force the flake onto the panel, it will just sort of snow fall onto the panel. Here is a huge advantage to the flake buster, once you have sprayed the flake, let the clear flash, you can actually at this point go around and pick out the flake that stands up with tweezers, you can also use your hands to smooth the flake and lay it down. You use way way way way less clearcoat doing flake this way. It works best for small jobs. flaking a whole car, the in clear method is still probably best for even coverage. Getting even coverage with the flake buster is actually easier than you would think. If the panel is wetted out the flake will only stick to the wet clear, once the flake is covered, the clear won't take more and the flake will just bounce off.

29. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Ive shot some heavy flake with a (not sure of brand) primer only gun with a agitator cup. Came out pretty good for a scooter frame but not sure about flat panels.

30. See you can do it. This whole sentence sounded way better than all the others except the "grow up" part. This seemed to be the part that you needed to do, not us. The sentenses that you wrote sounded and read like a 2nd grader. This last sentence was 100% better and I don't think anyone would have corrected you on the little issues like using i instead of I. This is just a minor thing that most all of us will ignore. Thanks for cleaning up your spelling so that you now sound intelligent.