Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical **Tech: Build your own 32 frame rails**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flthd31, Oct 5, 2008.

1. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

BTTT This thread is awsome!

2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Outstanding! I have heard it being done, but never seen the process. I wouldnt have the patience, I would have bough the rails and used your outstanding talent on the body that you were doubting the condition of. Again, hats of to ya.

3. dragster dude

dragster dude

dumpster diving the ultimate hybrid build

4. Does anyone know if a router speed controller like the one pictured would be adequate to reduce the speed of a cheap, non-variable speed grinder to effectively achieve what you do with that killer Milwaukee?

Thanks,
    Steve

Attached Files:

5. 117harv

117harv

6. bcharlton

bcharlton
    from Buffalo NY

You are at a different leval. I'm not worthy.

BC

7. Hop2it

Hop2it

It would be great to actually see this thread but since the revamp of hamb I get to see the last 4 or 5 replys to the thread.does this mean all the threads I have bookmarked are gone?
    Doug

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

Um,......... Just hit the "1" next to the "Prev" At the top or bottom of the page,..... Takes you all the way back to the OP

daddio211 likes this.
  9. deni123

deni123
    from Tirana

what thicknes have the plate metal and the dimension of squere metal

10. flthd31

flthd31

It's mentioned back on post #64, here it is again,

8 pieces – 66 inches by 6 inches
    8 pieces – 66 inches by 3 inches

It's .125 cold roll steel

11. WOW. just WOW.... and I can't believe how clean your workspace is.

12. dad-bud

dad-bud

Hey flthd31 - unbelievable lateral thinking to come up with a great pair of rails. I'm in awe of how the solutions seem obvious when someone else (you) points them out - just brilliant. (Of course, you had nothing to lose but a bit of time and some welding wire and consumables, but you started anyway).
    I haven't seen a link to any other build thread for your coupe - do you have an update for us?
    Thanks for sharing with us, and a worthy winner of Tech Week back then.
    Cheers.

13. flthd31

flthd31

Thank you.
    I have documented the entire build with photos with the intent of starting a build thread...but it's not likely to happen.
    There seems to have been a changing of the guard so to speak here on the HAMB. Good build threads seem to generate little interest and fade into oblivion quickly. With HAMB moving more toward social media, I fear it will only get worse as the old builders loose interest.
    That said, here are a few pics of the coupe now. It's a bit beyond this stage and should be painted and together in a few months...hopefully.

Attached Files:

bct, jocktherock and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I absolutely love build threads. Almost entirely the only reason I joined the HAMB. I think you should do one as there is much for someone like me to learn, and I can only imagine how many of us would greatly appreciate it. Whatever the case, thank you very much for posting the frame details. I've looked this thread over probably 20 times over the past few years. The coupe looks just as BA as the frame, by the way. Nice work.

15. daddylama

daddylama

i'm with him ^
    i dig build threads, too...

awesome job with the frame rails! about 5 years ago, i picked up the metal to build a set following what you did. haven't gotten further than putting the metal on a shelf in my shop... but planning on building them maybe this year.

16. daddio211

daddio211

Say what? This place is dying? No it's not! There are a NUMBER of quality build threads going on right now by some HIGHLY talented builders!

Post your build thread NOW flthd31! We demand it!

17. I also would love to see a build thread of this coupe, Its badass!

daddio211 likes this.
  18. CaliDreamin'

CaliDreamin'

The HAMB is so bad ass. Only place to find insane builds like this for old hot rods with ridiculous talent.

19. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

That car looks great. Finally saw your black on in person at quaker steak and it looks amazing also

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. Simon Intrudor

Simon Intrudor

WOW! This is an amazing read! thankyou soo much! have given me a lot of ideas for me to use when i start my rails tomorrow!

21. One of the best HAMB threads ever.

Build threads may not get a lot of following but those that follow are the hard corps HAMBer's. We do it for each other and we don't post selfies.

daddio211 likes this.
  22. Well WTF ! ? ! I just kicked my got dayum Legos all down the hallway !! You made your own 32' frame !! ?? Where in the hell do I get to drink this Kool-aid ??? This is fukd up....you guys always hidin' the fountain on me. You are a BAMF'r man. What in the hell do you do ?? Stainless steel fabrication you say.....would that be some sort of reactor cooling fabrications or something? I'm sure you aren't a hospital bed maker, or a restaurant supply guy.....so help us out. This is frekn' amazing. AND YEAH, you need to post your final pictures NOW please.......this has to be the best thread yet, and minimal followups from frame miracle. This place is unbelievable. All you guys make me want to just stick with the Lincoln Logs as my primary build in life. Beer me please.

23. I see your frustrations with threads getting knocked down. It's kinda' hard to track over 12,000 pages of stuff though. Even the epic threads get bumped......someone has to ask about a whitewall tire, or a Whizzer donkalator shaft, and all the obvious odds and pieces that our projects arrive with questions coming like diarrhea downhill. Maybe another re-organization with build specific tabs....but man, that would be some more computer work for someone. Be cool to keep all you awesome dudes at some sort of proverbial top with a ranking of sorts. For sure all of the epics can help all of us....and I sure as hell can't remember them all. Me not so smart with that. I LOVE YOUR STUFF THOUGH. Thanks for making me think I can. On a Sunday even.......

24. verde742

verde742

wish I could have seen 99% of the pictures.....

25. Joe McGlynn

Joe McGlynn

Any chance the pics could get re-posted? I'd love to see the steps in this...

26. One of the top 10 threads in the past 15 years.

Back then, a thread that was titled "How to..." actually was how to!

27. flthd31

flthd31

Got this straightened out...I think!
    I don't get on here much anymore so here's a couple of shots of the finished car. It's been done now for a couple of years and runs and drives great. Lots of people think I'm joking when I tell them the frame is homemade...oh well, who cares! I've moved on to old Harley's.
    Couldn't resist a shot of the grand-boys!! Have fun, I'm out...

grey coupe.jpg grey coupe3a.JPG grey coupe5a.JPG IMG_4326 - Copya.JPG IMG_20160430_173300023a.jpg

barrnone50, nunattax, bct and 7 others like this.
  28. manyolcars

manyolcars

awesome! great color

29. 54reno

54reno

Beautiful job. Love the kids too.

30. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Thanks for getting the pictures back up. Great job with a fine finished product.
    Pete