Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB Exclusive: Vintage Drag Racing 8mm film! (Part 1)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Jalopy Journal, Jan 24, 2012.

1. The Jalopy Journal

The Jalopy Journal

2. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Great footage! There's a yellow push truck at 2:32-2:35 that has the outline of Arizona painted on the door. I know that's not midwest as you mentioned in the post, but it may be a clue as to where the track is/was.

The yellow '32 and the Buick tow car at 2:46-3:15 are to die for!! What a great combo!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  3. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Scotty’s Muffler Service car @ 2:36 ran out of San Bernardino, CA

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

SATAN COUPE at 2:02!!!!! This is the only footage I've ever seen of the car in motion. I'd say since he was a family man, this track is probably close to his Philadelphia home or an East Coast track at the furthest.

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

6. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

^^Ha,Ha I thought that car looked really familiar!

There is such an influx of cars from all over in these shots it's really hard to tell. It look's like it could be OKC in some of the shots with the fairgrounds.

7. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

theres a tall T thats says Garys Used Cars, and i think Rockton Ill on the back. must have been a big meet wherever it was.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

My god this might be one of my favorite JJ entries ever. The footage is incredible and I could sit with a pad and paper writing down tidbits of inspiration over and over and over.

9. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Those early films make you realize the emphasis those guys placed on streamlining and wind resistance.

10. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Play, Pause, Play, Pause, Play, Pause, Play, Pause, Play, Pause, Lol. My mouse finger will probably just be recovering when you post part 2. Cool footage. Thanks for posting it.

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The very first car is a favorite of mine...Art Arfons Allison powered Green Monster.

I don't know the name but the yellow sectioned push truck @4:44 is a special early west coast custom that has been featured on the HAMB in the past. Check out the grille @ 4:37 chopped and channeled F-1.
    [​IMG]

12. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

That's what I was thinking too. I'm pretty sure that some of the footage is from the '57-'58 Nationals in OKC.

http://hdeshazo.com/okla1957/okla_drags_pg_0001.htm

13. Very good clip, after a couple minutes the sound appeared in my mind.

14. thark

thark
    from Oklahoma

I don't know the date, but I'm pretty sure that the second cut, after the holes in the film at about 2 minutes, is OKC Fairgrounds. The track ran parallel to a berm topped by railroad tracks. When he pans behind him, you can see the dirt oval stadium. The main structure looks the same today.

15. Love the push trucks!

Can anyone ID the hubcaps on the brown '55 Chevy truck with the dragon and belly burners?

Terd may want a purple dragon on the "King of Trucks"!!!

The mid-engine Crosley is butt-ugly, but uniquely creative for the time!!!

Lotsa cool machines!

16. primed34

primed34

Way cool film. Believe I saw the Rolling Stone '32 roadster and the Speed Sport aka 'Ol Noisey roadster.

17. jguff

jguff

Based on the home base of many of the cars this must have been a meet that racers ran on the way to or from something bigger. Recognizable cars from California, Arizona and Ohio. I spotted the Green Monsters of course, both Art and Ed Arfons, the Chrisman/Cannon Hustler in its early front mounted blower version at 2:10, Scotty's, the Martin/Nelson Dragliner at 2:45, the Cook/Bedwell dragster at 7:20 and 8:34, and the Speed Sport Special roadster at 9:35 and 10:33. Most of the cars were national record holders earlier in the '56 to '57 years.

I think the propeller job was an early attempt to overcome wind resistance by pulling air. Otherwise why would that airplane engined dragster have slicks on the rear wheels?

Jerome

18. Hot_Rod_Johnny

Hot_Rod_Johnny
    from Sweden

OMG - just realized that I am to young...:(

Wish I could have seen this live back in the day, must have been a blast.

19. chriseakin

chriseakin

I think that light yellow truck (at about 4:43) was Chuck Porter's if I remember correctly. Chopped, channelled and sectioned, custom grill. I remember reading that his daughter got it back and has it restored to its glory days condition.

20. bowtiemyk

bowtiemyk

Was that prop job one of Art's pre-jet cars? Awesome footage.

21. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

That's an outstanding video. I guess it wasn't cool to wear shorts back then.... :confused:

22. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Great footage, got to love the mid 50's TBird pulling a tandem axle trailer at 5:30. That is the NHRA Nationals at Oklahoma City fairgrounds but there are a couple other tracks too in there. Not sure what ones they are.

23. 3day

3day
    from UK

Wow. Great to see this kind of footage.

24. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

I love that old footage! And God bless that flag girl!!! Yummy, but probably in her 70s by now. Normal Norman

25. autobilly

autobilly

HAMB Exclusive, Vintage Drag Racing 8mm film; they don't come any better!
    Great post, thanks.:)

26. Jive-Bomber Jay - Fantastic stuff! ... Eagerly awaiting Part 2! :)

27. pcterm2

pcterm2

great flick ,cant wait for the next part

28. seatex

seatex

damn, thatArdun T was the bomb!

29. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Nice footage, I wish all old 8mm drag racing films were that clear.

30. The very first time I watched this video (on my tiny iPhone screen), I suspected that most of it was shot at The 1958 NHRA Nationals in OKC ... and admit I was giddy at the thought that the black primered coupe at the 00:49 mark:

Vintage Drag Racing 8mm film (0m49s).JPG

... was my father's car :) ... but after viewing the 8 seconds of footage (00:49 - 00:57) on a larger screen, I'm almost positive that it isn't the "HEMI32" coupe :(

I cross-referenced all of the entry numbers that are clearly visible in the video ... with the list of "ENTRIES" in my '58 Event Program ... and here's what I found:

#9 - Tweety Bird (Jim Govro - Austin, Texas - '32 Ford w/ '57 Chev.):

Vintage Drag Racing 8mm film (2m50s).JPG

#92 - The Little Red Rod Hod (Eddie Dunn - Byers, Texas - '34 Ford w/ '47 Ford):

Vintage Drag Racing 8mm film (3m42s).JPG

#106 - Mopey (Albert J. Brown, Jr. - Branchville, N.J. - '56 Chev. w/ '56 Chev.):

Vintage Drag Racing 8mm film (8m44s).JPG

#113 - Scotty's Muffler Spl. (Bud Barnett - Bloomington, Calif. - '24 Ford w/ '48 Ford Ardun):

Vintage Drag Racing 8mm film (2m38s).JPG

#134 - Butch Kirby (Butch Kirby - Dallas, Texas - '56 T-Bird w/ '57 Ford):

Vintage Drag Racing 8mm film (5m35s).JPG

#276 - The Iron Brogan (Robert Davolas, Jr. - Albuquerque, N.M. - '24 Dodge w/ '56 Chev.):

Vintage Drag Racing 8mm film (5m52s).JPG

#407 - Sherman Golub (Sherman Golub - Wappenger's Falls, N.Y. - '57 Porsche w/ '57 Porsche):

Vintage Drag Racing 8mm film (5m30s).JPG

#444 - Buck, Bohls, & Miller (T.W. Buck - Austin, Texas - '28 Ford w/ '57 Olds):

Vintage Drag Racing 8mm film (5m28s).JPG

... and the footage of the Chrisman dragster at the 02:07 mark:

Vintage Drag Racing 8mm film (2m07s).JPG

... was shot the same place & day (note building & parked cars) that my father shot this pic:

Norman Woodruff's Chopped Merc Vert (aka 'The Moose').jpg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014