Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Road Race Programs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] Some of the early Watkins Glen programs had an ARDUN sales brochure in them, don't be startled if you find one at a flea market, just pay the man and keep smiling.:D

3. fms427

fms427

This era also spawned some very interesting American Specials - to me, this was the "Golden Age" of road racing.

4. Sea Horse

Sea Horse
    from New York

A few years ago, I picked up a copy of the 1949 Bridgehampton road race program at a yard sale. It was a great find, and it made my day....

5. That's when you casually inquire whether they have any more racing memorabilia in the house.

6. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I love this vintage race car art. Thanks for bringing it up.

When you see something like a Jag XK120 you immediately understand how, back in the late forties, early fifties many Americans were inspired to own a sportscar or racer.... or build their own affordable backyard version, a hot rod.

Here's an XK120, which still excites and inspires, more than 60 years later, plus a few more posters I pulled off the web.

Attached Files:

7. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

As much as I love the crazy giant cars the Germans were building just before WWII, the mid-fifties are my favorite period for Road Racing. Still a chance for the average joe to compete with the factory entries, and there was no single 'right' way to go.

Actually, let me amend that- seems like either buying an Allard or building your own variation on the theme was the most popular option. The factory Allards were KILLER, and it seems like there were a ton of specials that used the same idea: european suspension and other components with a gi-normous American V8, all wrapped in aluminum with cycle-fenders.

there were other killer American racers of the era too.. the Cunninghams of course, and then homebuilts like the Manning Special. Great time for racing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. autobilly

autobilly

Looks like a strong theme of impressing the ladies at Bridgehampton in the late forties/early fifties.

9. barqsnut

barqsnut
    from Pearl, MS

Paramount Ranch Road Races Program

Attached Files:

10. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

I love how the earlier program illustrations have such a "Stroker" vibe to them!!!

11. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I miss the days of C and D sport racers that you could build at home from a wrecked Saab, MG or what ever.
    Nowdays the car has to be designed by an engineer and put it out of the home builder reach. That is how I ended up here along with a few other of my old road racing friends.

12. flamingokid

flamingokid

My next project is probably going to be a road racer.

13. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

another fun cover

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014