Register now to get rid of these ads!

Go for a ride? Mans best copilots! ..lost one tonite......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Topolino Kid, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Kerry67

Kerry67

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/pet/1082546699.html

Read this post and then tell me it does not make you want to go to the pound and get a dog. I know if I had room, I would go get another. But I already have 3 dogs and 2 cats but I am tempted to go get another everyday.

2. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Kerry67, You're a GOODMAN!

Nick.

3. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

I all so feel your pain my Bull dog Bennie has lyphnoma the vet gave him 1 to 3 months to live that was in December so we watch him every day going down hill, he's lost weight has a hard time breathing but he'll still plays with his ball and acts like a puppy so we don't know that the f---k to do but the vet says we'll know then its time to put him down, thats going to be hard to do..this guy loves to come in the garage sit in the car and watch me work on it, he's my bud and you can bet your sweet ass that he will be missed for a long time. Hang in there..we all have to go through this.

4. Kerry67

Kerry67

That is a fact that the dog lets you know when it is time. Both of mine that I had to put down totally let me know when they were ready.

5. delaware george

delaware george
    from camden, de

i lost the little guy to bad health seven months ago and my big guy a month ago....had to put him to sleep,old hips wouldn't work any more...

i still hurt....sorry to hear your loss
    george

Attached Files:

6. I have been through family losses before, but my last family member to pass away was my grandmother, and that was 30 years ago, so I guess I was too young to fully understand and it didn't hit me as hard as it would have later on in life. I will say, in my adult memories, losing my dog Bella was absolutely the worst thing that ever happened to me, it hit me so hard I couldn't believe it. I'll never forget her. But, a little while afterwards, I thought to myself that somewhere out there, there is a dog waiting in a shelter for me to "get over it" and come rescue them. It was very hard, but my wife and I forced ourselves to go to the SPCA. It was the best thing we could have done, and it helped us cope with the loss of Bella. So, here they are, in all their glory:

Stu, doing the navigating:
    [​IMG]

And Bessie, doing what she does best, holding down the sofa:
    [​IMG]

My condolences for your loss.

7. MLK

MLK

I am really sorry for your loss.

We had to put my son's Staffordshire Terrier down last week.

The dog has lived with us since he was born...best dog we ever had.

It has really hit me hard...a lot harder than I thought.

I really do feel your pain.

Mike

8. We feel for ya too We lost one recently our Beagle & my baby our Shelty RedFox Mix is about 15 in human yr We have to check on her all the time as she has lost her hearing & most of her site She still goes every where with me & her bed is right beside me

9. axeman39

axeman39
    from Saco Maine

When this one goes I'm going with her because it will kill me. best damn dog anyone could ask for.
    [​IMG]

10. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

I've had alot of dogs in my 60+ years, it always feels like loosing your best friend and it never is easy putting them down.
    Reading these posts has put a couple of tears in my eyes.
    We've got two dogs, a Cocker named Taffey, and a freeway (we found him on the freeway after he had been hit by a car) dog named Casey. Casey hates cars, and although I've tried, the only way to get him in a car is to pick him up and put him in. The Cocker is ready to go in the car day or night and loves driving.
    We are very fortunate to have our Vet live right across the street and with our Cocker which has Cushings Deasease and kidney issues........he has been at our house in the middle of the night, kept medicine at his house and just been there whenever we needed him. When it is their time it will be like loosing a part of my heart/soul.
    I know how you feel because I've been there...........just wishing you the best in this hard time.

Attached Files:

11. Our dog My wife's & mine and also my son's in Michigan has had a tumor on her right rear knee for over a year now. Two different Vet's a year ago said $1000 just figure out what to do then most likely remove the leg. So she's been walking (before the diagonosis) and after 3 miles a day & is still in great shape. But the tumor is now the size of my fist & is starting to impact her walking. She will be 11 years old on 5-5-2009 & has had a good life. I'll carry her until she is in pain. 80 Pound Akita.

To me quality of life is important. She has been across the nation 10 times and most likely been in 30 states.

Here's a picture. Not looking forward to the decision day.

Movin/on

Attached Files:

• Kiko.jpg
      Kiko.jpg
      File size:
      98.1 KB
      Views:
  12. That's never easy. I had to have my Cocker Lady but down at 19 years. That was 10 years ago and it still haunts me.
    Dogs gotta have a heaven

13. Sorry for your loss. I can only begin to think how you are feeling. I get choked up thinking about what I will do when my boy goes. Between colds, broken bones & being attacked by another dog. He is always by my side making me smile. When I clicked on the thread he was trying to get me to play, after I read what you wrote he laid down and closed his eyes. He knows and he would show you he is sorry for your loss if he could.

your pup is waiting for ya. i completely believe it.

my best friend..........

Attached Files:

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

if you have to, get the one leg amputated, they adjust very quickly to running on three legs, may spare her life and improve it for a long time, if it stops her pain and allows her to be able to live i'm sure she would rather be alive. I didn't have to put blackie down, he went so quick, I don't think he would have wanted to go on some stainless steel table in a vets office, he died peacefully at home,he got to spend time with the other dogs, and he died in his favorite place,in the bathtub. He was a strange one. but the most important thing was he died in his home where he was comfortable.

15. hellboundfive-O

hellboundfive-O
    from AZ

My wife and I have four Great Danes. They are our children too. They all rotate sleeping in our bed, in the middle, between Tammy and me. The horrible thing about Danes is that they only live 8-10 years...if you're lucky. But the amount of love, unconditional love, they give in that short amount of time, is worth all of the pain I feel when they are gone. Brother, you can tell by the number of posts there have been in just the last two days, that you have a huge family here and we all feel your pain. Know that you are not alone in your grief. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Hogan was the first to ride in my Pontiac the day we got it running.

[​IMG]

16. KK500

KK500

Mark,
    Just read your post Dude ...........sorry to read of your loss.........had a kelpie go lame with spinal arthritis a while back............great dog and eager copilot.

Keep on postin'.......I'll think twice next time,
    Jim

17. FiveDeuceFrank

FiveDeuceFrank
    from ATX

I am so sorry for your loss. I have 5 dogs and if any thing happened to any of them I don't know what I would do.

18. Sorry for your loss.
    We had to have our co pilot Buddie put to sleep due to him having a tumor, Christmas time, we really missed him. We tried to go along for a while and not have another dog. But now we have two Border Collies,6 months old, Kobi & Bonnie. Don't yea just love um.

Attached Files:

19. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

20. Sorry to hear about your loss My co pilot is a 15 yr old shelty & red fox mix about blind & deaf she always has to have her head out the window & have to keep a close eye on her as she gets dis oreinated easy & cant hear when you call But responds good to hand signals

21. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Sorry to here about the loss. Losing one of these little varmints is tough.
    We lost Scooter 3 weeks ago. she just got so stove up she could barely walk.... She stopped taking medication about a month ago...funny how they make those decisions. She pretty much stopped eating unless we hand fed her things like soda crackers, fruit, etc.

Just didn't have a choice. It's gonna hurt for quite a while. She went with us everywhere. Many, many hot rod miles with never a complaint.
    Rich
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. We had to have our Lab/Rotty put down on Valentines Day; so I know what everyone is talking about. Just as with any loss, it's real hard at first but does get better, thankfully. I do know that after losing all 3 of our pets in less than 2 years we're through for awhile. Not saying we'll never get another one, but... it'll be awhile.

23. prost34

prost34

My co pilot where ever i go,dixie-black german shepard pup,this is the only dog i know that is not scarred of anything,i started my car with open headers and all she does is look at me with her head sideways,i bring her to my shop everyday,i can be boarding off bondo on a side of a car and there she is next to me full of bondo dust sleeping,,,

Attached Files:

24. wheelbilly

wheelbilly

My wife and I have chosen dogs over children for a few reasons, I'm not looking forward to the day I lose my little one. She's sitting by my side right now, and we just got a little fellar for my wife. I feel your pain and share your sorrow.

25. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Sorry for your loss Kid. I've gone through it a few times myself. Our dogs are a big part of our families and sometine our best friends. Take care.

26. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

you never get over the loss, it's like losing a child. I buried my black lab down by the river near my favorite fishing spot, It's quiet and peaceful there and undisturbed by man. it's in a flood plain,so it should stay that way. I figured it would be a place he would like. Some people have them creamated but it seems to me if you could ask them they would want to return to the earth in the natural cycle of life. I'm sure we will see them again, If there are lions and lambs in heaven surely there are dogs, God even hears the cry of the sparrow.

27. NorthEastMetal

NorthEastMetal
    from CT

Topolino Kid-

Sorry for your loss, been there a couple times myself. Never thought I could find another co-pilot as good as the last, but it can happen and has happened for me, more than a couple times.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Steve

Attached Files:

28. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

yu know, if there wasn't any dogs in heaven, i probly wouldn't wanna go.....

29. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

my copilot

[​IMG]

goanna suck loseing him

30. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Sorry to hear about your loss I had to put my Bull dog Bernnie down this past Friday after him battleing cancer and I have been feeling like shit every since, my wife is out of town and this house is empty without my best friend laying around under my feet, don't think I can do this again so there's not going to be any more dogs, I can't handle this..........

Last edited: May 3, 2009