Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Surfer Style Wagons

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shawn F., Nov 26, 2008.

1. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

That's HILARIOUS!!!!:D:cool::rolleyes:

2. daleyracing

daleyracing

I actually have 2 of these, this one is a 4 speed the other is a automatic. Both are 2 doors. and I am building a 31 with a 392 Hemi, did I say "Got Hemi" :D

Attached Files:

3. JEPPA

JEPPA

I saw this at Autofest last year. It had some neat details.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  4. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

This from Legendary Surfers website. Surfer Mike Doyle talks about his mode of transpotation

"In 1959," Doyle wrote, switching the subject to transportation, "my senior year in high school, my buddy Mike Majek and I started a business shaping balsa wood surfboards in my garage. Our major investment was a power planer. Foam surfboards had just started to come on the market, but their advantages hadn't been fully recognized yet. In fact, some surfers called foam boards 'speedo sponges' or 'flexi-fliers.' So Majek and I stuck with shaping balsa boards. Beginning with a balsa blank, we would plane and sand each board into the shape we wanted, then coat it with fiberglass and resin. We shaped about 150 boards that year and sold them all, which put a little spending money in our pockets and gave us some independence.
    "One weekend, after Majek and I had each saved up a few hundred dollars, we flew up to San Francisco, then took a cab down to Burlingame, just south of the airport. There was a huge storage yard there filled with used ambulances and hearses: big beautiful Cadillacs with powerful V-8 engines and heavyweight suspensions. The mortuaries would buy new cars every year or so, no matter what condition the old ones were in; the cars had been well serviced, and hardly any of them had more than 15,000 miles, since they only went from the mortuary to the graveyard and back. There was almost no market for these cars -- who wanted to own a used death-mobile? -- but they made perfect surf wagons. So for $400 I bought a beautiful 1958 Cadillac with braided curtains and a burgundy velvet interior -- a beautiful piece of metal and chrome. I remember the interior smelled like dried flower petals.
    "Majek bought himself a Cadillac ambulance, and together we cruised down the Coast Highway, through Santa Cruz and Big Sur, in our plush wagons with their big engines purring. We were only eighteen and had our own Cadillacs.
    "As soon as we got home, I had my hearse painted canary yellow, and Mike had his ambulance painted fire-engine red. We liked to cruise side by side down Manchester Boulevard, in Inglewood, Majek in his ambulance and me in my hearse, while all the other cruisers in their lowered La Bamba '54 Oldsmobiles gave us angry stares. What thrilled us most of all, I think, was that we were thumbing our noses at the stifling Fifties mentality and getting away with it. We didn't have to act like square football jocks, and we didn't have to dress like tough cholos anymore. We had our own style now. The creative freedom and exhilaration we'd found in surfing was affecting our whole lives.
    "I loved taking my hearse to the beach. I carried my surfboards and wetsuits on the chrome coffin rack, so when I pushed a button, the whole rack would come sliding out. In midday I could climb in the back of the hearse to get out of the sun, and I slept in it when we went overnight to Rincon or Swami's. The only bad thing about that car was going to pick up a girl for a date. One look at my bed on wheels, and no girl's father would ever let his daughter see me again. So I learned after a while to park around the corner."

5. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

There was a lot in Kansas City that specialized in used hearses. I got a '50 Cad for $150 and later, a five year old '59 for $550. They were cheap because there was just no market for a used hearse.

6. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

I think I got a _ _ _ _y lookin at all these:eek: Damn, I really have to get workin on my wood!:rolleyes: There are some nice rides on this thread:cool:

7. dale48mrc

dale48mrc

I'm lovin' this thread!Must be becauseI have from when I was a kid.Had an Uncle with a cool wagon,just remember I always wanted to ride in the back!Wagons rule!

8. vntodd

vntodd

Here's a pic of Tom and his buddy Phil towing Barris' X-PAK 100 with his '50 Cad hearse...snuck a copy of this photo back when I used to work for Tom in Phoenix.
    Sorry Tom.

Attached Files:

9. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Here's the original photo.

[​IMG]

10. Squatch

Squatch

I couldn't bring myself to do the surfer thing in Ohio, SO... I ahve a steamer trunk, some vintage luggage, a bamboo fishing pole, a vintage cooler, and was thinking about some vintage wooden water skis...

Mike

11. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

12. razorback

razorback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Sweden

Awsome thread!!
    Here are a -48 woodie from an album cover. The car was owned by Randy Nauert (Challengers' bassist) with a Corvette -62 383 with 3 two-barrels!

Attached Files:

13. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

61 falcon Wagon

Attached Files:

14. rustnpz

rustnpz

P1010005.jpg

P1010035.jpg Here's one you won't see everyday

15. Here`s my Surf wagon, were off to Cayton Bay Scarboro on the East Coast of England........Bri :)

Attached Files:

16. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

Those are killer looking cars... very cool.

17. Nice wagons guys! Keep em comming. 7 pages for wagons is pretty decent so far I think.

18. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

19. nowukno

nowukno
    from SoCal

YES,Its been photoshopped!!
    [​IMG][/

20. Uruguayan Surf Wagon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leonardo Correa Luna's "Surf Wagon" at the beach in Punta del Este (near Maldonado, Uruguay) ... Leo explained that one reason he loves his Isetta is that with the surfboard installed, there's no room for his girlfriend which, in turn, allows him to surf as long as he wants to!

Gdcast likes this.
  21. rebarsfords

rebarsfords

I guess I gotta post a picture of mine.....

Attached Files:

22. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

This one gets my Vote!

23. studewoody

studewoody

i live in pennsylvania and i love the surf wagon look. i'm building a stude lark wagon right now.hopefully it will be done by spring

24. Post some pics of that stude wagon once you get it done or start working on it. Those are cool looking wagons. I've always loved Studebakers!

25. Johnnyboys65

Johnnyboys65
    from Antioch,Ca

Heres a pic of mine in Santa Cruz car show hotrods at the beach

Attached Files:

26. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

This is my wagon that I wanted to turn into a surf kustom.

Attached Files:

27. I love wagons...
    I have one on my "Build List".
    Someday.

28. Now THAT has character. I love it, Man.

29. ehdubya

ehdubya

The Trashmen when it was socially acceptable so sing about them...

Well if you ever go down to where the big cars go
    Well you can ask anybody cause they all know

That there's one wild woodie that's really mean

She's a roller cam huffer blown fuelie machine

She's big, big, she's bad, bad, my woodie

She's a full out scavenger with racin' slicks

And when I'm lightin' the skins I really get my kicks
    Uh well she's chopped and a'channeled and she's stroked and bored

A big rubber daddy with a four on the floor

She's big, big, she's bad, bad, my woodie

A roller cam huffer blown fuelie machine

That really wails comin' out of the gate