Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Restored Supermodified

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roostasix, Oct 16, 2008.

1. roostasix

roostasix

Ours is very similar, just a little more streamlined.

Kyle

2. roostasix

roostasix

That's a nice one Brian. Do you have any info on that car?

Kyle

3. Seems to me like that one's up in the Indiana area. My right finger tends get quirky when I see a super that's cool. It is not patient when they are from over 500 miles away.

Still, there is a small movement that has been going on here and there over the years.

There are more I'll post soon.

4. From up north, Wisconsin maybe?

[​IMG]

5. Yep....Minnesota and Wisconsin. They have a website:

http://www.northernvintageracers.com/

The black #31 is John "Butch" Bethke who was the builder/wrench for the late John Stevenson who was a top dog up this way in the late 60's and through the 70's in the supers and then the sprint cars.

Here's one of their early cars.

Attached Files:

6. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

Attached Files:

• 278.jpg
      278.jpg
      File size:
      3.5 KB
      Views:
  7. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

There's a previous post that links a roundy-round race but I remember these cars being much faster than that. I worked at a Sinclair gas station in Independence Kansas in the 60-70s and we had a super, two other dirt track cars and a dragster. The owner was real strickler on the drivers about safety and wouldn't you know it, he was killed during a race when he flipped off the back side of the turn and got his helmet hung in the roll gage somehow and broke his neck. Back then there weren't any walls on the turns, if you went off you could drive back on, no problem. If you flipped you could in up in the parking lot. As far as speed, imagine a 700+hp motor in a frame with a little tin around you. They were very fast reaching 100mph on a 1/4 track wasn't unusual. This brings back some memories. My first date was to a dirt track race. I locked the keys in the car...really impressed my date...Ha!:rolleyes:;)

8. Solidaxel

Solidaxel

The New "Payola" resides in Tucson Az but not in the same garage with the other noise maker "Twister"

9. Jiggs Founds brings you eye candy and greeting from Amarillo! El completo!

I got these pics in full size files and could not find one blemish!

[​IMG]

10. Anybody know anything about this car?

[​IMG]

11. Does anyone know about what year? I see lots of parts that crossed over to sprinters. Thanks, Mike

12. Update on the 38 Special

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. From Utica, SD. 1974 Nance

[​IMG]

14. roostasix

roostasix

15. bump for the evening crew with a little eye candy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. We thought Lloyd was going to be there to kick the whole deal off just like he always did everything else.
    This was the original idea before his passing in Late March. He gave us his blessing and we went with the idea.

Lloyd Ruby did not represent a quitter's attitude, nor should we when it involves so many good things that he wished to see live on after he was gone. We shall do just that.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  17. This car was restored about 10 years ago I think, wonder what happened to it?

[​IMG]

18. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

19. roostasix

roostasix

If I'm not mistaken, this is the 24 that Martens restored.

25 cars for Wichita Falls so far.

Kyle

20. Been a long stretch since this whole thing started last fall. But ACTUALLY, it all started at the Lloyd Ruby Overpass dedication in 2006.

That story is for another day. The Murphee Brothers are bringing their sprinter in, I think it's a Beck, no one knows for sure. Yes, show or go is all good. This car is slated for dirt use that weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. This is going to be on display, to promote the Manifolds on Main event in Dallas

[​IMG]

22. Max Estes is coming up, no telling how much recruiting he's been doing.

[​IMG]

23. This car exists, the pictures come from Dwane Wolf. Harold Leep and the Jelly Wilhelm super. They ste fast time at the Western World at Manzanita in the mid 70's , maybe 1974?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]