Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead ford water pump rebuilding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46fatford, Jan 11, 2009.

1. I have a set of core 49 Merc water pumps and was wondering if anybody has ever rebuilt them themselves? I know you have to use a press, but is there any other special tools required? After they are rebuilt what is the usual life expectancy of the pumps before they leak again? Does anyone make a new style rebuild for the merc pumps like speedway sells for the fords? Also could I use the truck pumps on my 49 merc and just change the height of my frame motor mounts? They look really similar, butthe ears are lower on the truck pumps. any ideas?
    Thanks
    Matt

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Any of the '49-53 shop manuals shows the procedure, and you really should have one for lots of purposes.
    All the late pumps will swap, and the truck ones go right on with your wide belt pulleys.
    The '49 Merc pump is kind of an orphan and is hard to get. It's the only year of its type with wide belts.
    I think there is a tiny lateral difference between Merc and truck pump mount holes as well as the obvious height difference...not entirely sure. A spacer can easily handle the problem. If the truck pumps are better for your application anyway, get them since they can be replaced easily when needed.

3. I just got the 49-51 Shop manual today. It shows the pump rebuilding procedures. The Merc pumps engine mounts are ghigher up on the pump bodies than the truck pumps. The truck pumps engine mounts are almost level with the top of the outlets, where as the Merc pump is almost 3" higher up. The holes are a little different too, but nothing that can't be modified. I found a guy locally who says he has NOS Merc pumps, but I haven't seen them. I just figured the new design bearing and seal assemblies in Speedways would be better than a non lubricated type pump with the original bushing and seal assemblies.

4. I use a bearing clamp to get be hind the pulley before I press it..

5. flathead4d

flathead4d

There is a guy in Florida that rebuilds them with a new improved design impeller and bearings. His name is Skip Haney and if you google his name you will get the info you need. He did mine and I am very pleased with the result. I think it cost me about $120 for the pair. Rebuilding them yourself is cheaper but most people who try it end up breaking the pulleys. Just my opinion.

6. banjorear

banjorear

Skip's price has gone up a bit. It is now $212. shipped to your door with your cores. From what I understand (I will be using his pumps) the design does indeed work and his work is of high quality.

7. Thanks guys. I'll definitely look into using Skip's pumps.

8. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

49 up style pumps use a bearing not the old bushing style. Way back I rebuilt one of the later ones using nothing but a bench vise. Don't remember how I got the pulley off ,but do remember the vise was never the same again ! LOL

9. 49dream

49dream
    from tucson az

Hi everyone i am also having a heck of a time finding a kit or a seal for the 49merc pumps.There is also a guy in calif that rebuilds these for $72.50 ea.also i made a jig to press out the entire assembly if anyone wants a pic just drop me a line or if you need this rebuilder name and address let me know i am leaning towards having him do my spares.Later

10. kits at Macs Auto parts,,,, 26 bucks
    <TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left width=49 bgColor=#ffffff>A8C-8591-KT</TD><TD align=left width=49 bgColor=#ffffff>KIT </TD><TD align=left width=47 bgColor=#ffffff>26.95</TD><TD align=left width=215 bgColor=#ffffff>WATER PUMP REBUILD KIT </TD><TD align=left width=215 bgColor=#ffffff>FOR EAB PUMPS V-8 239 FLATHEAD FORD & MERCURY LIMITED AVAILABILITY </TD><TD align=left width=215 bgColor=#ffffff>1</TD><TD align=middle width=63 bgColor=#ffffff>FORD</TD><TD align=middle width=63 bgColor=#ffffff>1950-1953</TD><TD align=left width=1 bgColor=#ffffff></TD><TD align=left width=1 bgColor=#ffffff></TD><TD align=middle width=111 bgColor=#ffffff>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

11. HELLMET

HELLMET

buy speedway ones .save yourself the trouble.

12. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

A little heat on the pulley hub and they pop right off without any drama.

Truck64 likes this.
  13. Speedway does not sell the Merc pumps. You have to rebuild your originals or buy rebuilts from Hot rod and custom supply. Mercury used a different water pump in early 49 that did not have a rear bearing, but instead had a bushing. These pumps have a oil cup built into them to lubricate the bushing. They actually show and list 2 different rebuild kits for these pumps in the 49-51 Lincoln /Mercury shop manual. 49 pumps have a 5/8" pulley, where as 50-51 used a 3/8" pulley. I have some 50 Pumps too, which coulld be converted to 5/8" pulleys.