Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical AV8 Redux

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by av8, Dec 22, 2008.

1. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

A terrific resource. I built my roadster with it as a guide. Not to be used like a "paint by numbers" but an indispensible resource to help a rodder show his own creativity.
    PanheadGuy

2. Rolo

Rolo
    Alliance Vendor

I've passed along all the praise to Vern. (Mike's able to turn on the computer and see it himself ;)) He thanks you all for all your kind words.

As for me personally, this book's damn important to me. It's pretty rare to be able to pinpoint a single thing/moment that's changed in such a significant way that you'll never be the same again...this book did just that for me. This book made me feel...right. The BT roadster was the closest I'd ever felt to love at first sight, and seeing everything I needed to do in front of me made my own jalopy seem almost accessible.

I was blessed to have grown up close to Vern, and had family friends that knew Vern and introduced me to him. After years of sweeping the floors (and picking up every bit of early Ford wisdom I could snatch from Vern) at the shop on weekends and whenever I could find a spare moment, I was lucky enough to be able to drop my real job and begin working for Vern. I haven't looked back since.

I smile everytime I ship out a copy of the book. (Yes, we still sell it. Use your HAMB discount and save a few bucks!)

http://www.verntardel.com/collections/books/products/how-to-build-a-traditional-ford-hot-rod)

It's fun thinking what the book might help create when combined with plus the imagination, creativity, and desire of its reader. Hopefully it will inspire another generation of hot rodders, just as it inspired me.

Again, Vern thank you all for your kind words. We're all lucky to be a part of this wonderful hobby.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. av8

av8

What a great way to start the week! I'm honored by the kind comments, folks, and especially satisfying is hearing that the book is still truly helpful. I was pleased that Ryan wanted to run the story on the JJ which has honored the spirit of cars such as mine from the start.

Thanks much for this early Christmas present.:)

Mike

4. flathead A

flathead A
    from michigan

When I first started thinking about building a car, I always had the mindset of a musclecar type hot rod,(sbc ,rock crusher,9"rearend)(not that there's any thing wrong with them)then I found the bible,(how to build a traditional hot rod).I've read it 20 + times and its always with in reach.And yes I even got to talked to Vern .As stated earlier if it wasn't for the hamb(thanks everyone) and that book I wouldn't know where I would be.I'm about 4 years into my build,some day when it's done(soon I hope) I want to see the roadster in person.and maybe shake there hand and say thanks.

Menno

5. My copy of the Bishop/Tardel book is about 10 years old now and I've poured through it countless times. It's been a real inspiration around here now that we have our own roadster project in the works. Each time I go through it I only wish it had twice the pages! Just that much more valuabe info and inspiration! Soaking it all up like a sponge...........
    And thanks to them for putting it togeather!

6. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

I've got a copy. We just call it the book. What does the book say? Go look in the book.

I have only seen one picture of the hood. It's on the cover. Whats up with the louvers, they look chrome or riveted on. Maybe it's just the way the light hits them?

7. It's been a big help to me in my build too.

8. 50Fraud

50Fraud

It's good to see Mike on the HAMB again. Great book, great writer, great guy.

9. av8

av8

The hood is aluminum, and the louvers were polished then masked off before the hood was painted. Before the louvers were punched we polished the area on the outside with a DA and WD40 to remove the inevitable scratches that bloom on sheet aluminum in the shop environment. Prior to painting, the louvers were machine-polished again, then given a final hand touchup after painting.

I fell in love with polished louvers in aluminum when I first saw them on a black Kurtis Kraft midget on the Rosebowl boardtrack in 1948. They added to the plate-polish-paint dazzle that was an important element of nighttime racing under the lights.:cool:

Mike

10. autobilly

autobilly

Absolutely beautiful car! Thanks for the story behind the book Av8, it in it's self is a great read. I'm glad that you have the car back again, for the time being at least. Although I may never build an old Ford, the continual high recommendations on the HAMB and this TJJ entry have finally seen my order for a copy put in with Amazon today. (So many books, so little time!)

11. pacman

pacman

I just saw that blue roadster this weekend. It's at Sacramento SoCal Speed Shop.
    I have never read or even seen the previously stated book. Though when I saw the roadster it was difficult to decifer whether this was a new build or a restored old roadster with history.
    The car as a whole appeared too simple, too "traditional" and without flash to be anything built in the last couple years. I thought, no one could have such control over a build these days and walk the traditional line so straight, could they? The weathered SCTA added another a tally mark to this being a ligit old roadster.
    Two things made this roadster appear to be a newer build, the steering wheel and the pipes. Those are two eye catching pieces on a roadster. Oh and the 47th annual GNRS tag threw me.

I left the speed shop perplexed on the origin of this roadster...

What'a ya know, that blue roadster is in a feature on The Jalopy Journal. And I come to find that the roadster was built with names behind it, only to make a name for itself. It has history - not a "been there, done that" kind but a history as vivid as a car of its age could have.

The more I know...

Thanks for sharing.

-PaX

PS - the description of the blue roadster is my own simple opinion, I just felt the need to spell out my own process... who knows why. The way I pick apart cars is a way to understand the car and the builder, its also what forms my own personal style. I was in no way ever undercutting this roadster. I can only move forward in aspiration of a build, a builder and his personal control.

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Mike and Vern saved the newcomer to this passion a few thousand hours of scrounging the old publications and picking the brains of the old timers when trying to duplicate a CORRECT early Hot rod. Seeing as how that would be impossible it is indeed a blessing that they took the time to document the process AND build an example for all of us to have as a reference.
    As Lucky 77 said I've preached the "bible" to anyone who is even remotely interested in this type of build. I believe reading it at least twice cover to cover (and I mean every word) is essential before you bolt the first two pieces together if your serious about duplicating what's on the cover. Then having it close at hand during the build as a refresher is a must just so you don't have to backtrack and duplicate any effort. I've dog eared my first copy (and covered it with greasy fingerprints) so getting and extra copy for the house was a must. There is a couple of copies gift wrapped for Santa to deliver to some newcomers on the 25th. Got to "pass it on" like many oldtimers did for me over the last 50 years.

Frank

13. i just ordered it. thanks for the heads up. i've always been a custom guy but i think i'm going to the dark side.

14. W Scott

W Scott

Thanks to Ryan for sharing the story on the Journal. Very profound in my opinion. Damn, I just love traditional hot rodding.

Scott

15. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I've read the book cover to cover several times - I always find myself going back to have a peek to make sure something wasn't covered there even for unrelated projects. It truly is a resource.

16. When I got mine a couple yaywhoos named Vern and Mike had written their names inside the front cover, and then left an extra build photo or two after they got done reading it..........damn mailmen always reading my stuff! ;)

17. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

I wonder how they got chrome louvers on a painted hood? Maybe that's a dumb question, but, no one ever accused me of being smart.

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Or a very good reader. :)

19. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Best book ever !!!!!
    The only one i read......over and over again.!!
    Michael

20. HELLMET

HELLMET

that book is great. it sit's upon the stack on back of the throne its #1 . i was just reading it tonite. billy

21. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

Every time I see the book it reminds me that the cover car is a near spitting image of the Bob deBisschop 29 A-V8 roadster (deuce rails). Bob started it when he returned from WWII. In 1950 He featured it as the "How to Build a Hot Rod" exhibit at the first Oakland Roadster Show. He entertained the crowd by taking the car apart and re-assembling it each day of the show. Chuck Longley gave the car an impeccable restoration not long back. After a stint at the drags, Bob teamed up with A.J. Watson on a long Indy-car winning streak. He is credited with pioneering turbo charging for the Offy engine. Later GM commissioned him to engineer the first turbocharger for a production automobile, the ill-fated Olds F-85 Jetfire. Bob is still kicking and lives in Vista California. He, like Tom Cobbs and too many others, is a significant early hot rodder who we just don't hear enough about. I see him from time to time--he can spin a yarn with the best of them on the early days of our hobby. The pic is of the roadster at the 2004 L.A. Roadster Show. That's deBisschop in the blue shirt.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  22. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I saw the review in American Rodder and called Mike and was able to buy an autographed copy right after it was published.

Mike's skill in communicating is often times over looked as readers absorb the information in his book.

What we need is more "traditional" journalists like Mike.

23. sololobo

sololobo

Zing went the strings of my heart!! That roadster is the holygrail!! Great read, Thank You!!~Sololobo~

24. ALCAN AV8

ALCAN AV8

Big thanks to Mike and Vern. I can't imagine where I would be with my project without "the book". Those old American Rodder articles were pretty helpfull as well.
    I would sure like to see a feature on the car and book in TRJ. I think they are worthy.

25. We aren't finished yet. There are still more AV8 roadsters waiting to hit the streets that have been inspired by "The Book"...

Attached Files:

26. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Mine as well and it's one of my most treasured gifts. I think of Mike each and every time I glance at it.

Sure wish we'd see more of Mr Bishop's writing around these parts more often.....hint, hint ;)

27. Steve Hedke

Steve Hedke

My copies are both well worn and right at hand. I met Mike at Pomona after I bought my first copy. Has it been that long? 8 years later I had my own '29AV8 roadster entered at the Pomona show. Man, did that time fly by!

I used Mike's book as an inspiration rather than a template: it has built in flexibility, such as using a '32 chassis instead of Model A. But the '29 grille came off for a '32, and Pontiac tail lights were eventually added, so that it really does look like Bluey's cousin.

I keep working on it too. Never 'finished', always in development. But still using mostly prewar parts and driving it all the while. Even made my own dual carb intake out of a stock '36.

He's right about who 'gets it'. Not everyone in the hod rod world pays much attention. At the Primer Nats it was hardly noticed. But a few old guys stared long and hard and gave us the ultimate compliment. "I like your car."

Thanks Mike for the vision.

29AV8

28. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It is not just an A-V8 shop manual...it teaches general early Ford tech and, very importantly, a lot about the aesthetics of the specific endeavor and of early Ford equipment in general. It is an introduction to a world for those too young to have learned it as children.

29. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

YES - Exactly!! :)
    Besides a ton I have picked up from the HAMB, other books I've read, friends, etc., this book is a great resource and learning tool for the younger generation, like myself.

30. waeman

waeman
    from maryland

can someone tell me a part number or some other scoop about the rear shocks on Vern's roadster?