Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Restored Supermodified

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roostasix, Oct 16, 2008.

1. This car is being fitted with an Edmunds body.

2. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Brian26.....its mine!!! A buddy of my dad's that used to run the Sportsmens at Merced in the 70s gave it to me about 8 years ago, and a set of alum drum safetys for the front still on the spindles and king pins. I want to build an old San Jose style super for my back yard for the grand babies to play on...LOL

3. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

PS, the only thing ive been able to find out about the name is a guy who used to own cars in the Indy area.

4. Edmunds.jpg
    Here is a good desk top for all you old super fans

JimBalder[1].jpg
    This is a pic at Berlin, with Jim Balder at the wheel
    of an Edmunds that he bought from Duane Spangler.
    Years later I owned the car for about 10 yrs.
    It's now somewhere in Fla, in the hands of an ole sprint racer.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  5. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

Wow, Just found this thread. I posted my car in another thread a while back. This super was built In 59, Raced in the midwest and was restored in 1982. The kicker is its titled to be driven on the street.
    These are older pix, I'll post some soon with safety racing wheels and Racemaster slicks.-Tom

If you enjoy supermodified nostalgia check out my brothers site!
    www.jakessite.com

Attached Files:

6. Back in '65 Edmunds had David Kimble draw a "convertible" 4-bar and space frame version of his super. The cage, coupe body, and coupe tail could be removed and replaced with a roll bar and sprint tail. That way it could race in either division. I don't know if any were ever built. My street-legal will be built similar to this.

I copied Kimble's renderings in Autocad.

Attached Files:

7. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

---------------

The PAUL KOLLSTEDT story is a GOOD ONE!!

Paul lived in Hamilton, Ohio (of coarse) which is on the north side of Cincy. I had a shop there for about 4 years. Nick named "Hamiltucky" or "Hamilbama" for it's Interesting array of people, Paul must have fit right in as you will read...
    The style Rear end above is considered his "middle years" ones. The really earlly ones are blank and sometimes have the name Stamped in them with simple letter stamps. Paul built A LOT of rear ends over the years, his later rear end have only a "K" in them and look newer.
    Now for the WILD part.. After years of building rearends, (80's) an Elderly Paul moved on to fixing lawnmowers and selling them in front of his house, on his lawn. By then, the nieghborhood had made a turn for the worse and the local "thugs" decided to start steeling "old man Kollstedt's" lawnmowers and sell them in the surrounding nieghborhoods..
    Well, one day two kids took off with a mower and Paul just happened to see them do it. Paul grabbed his pistol and gave chase. He fired at the kids (Iv'e heard they were in there early teens) and actually hit one in the leg dropping the teen to the ground. Then, in front of NUMEROUS witnesses all around, Paul calmly walked up to the kid that was lying in the street and Shot him in the head killing him.
    Paul, was arrested and the trail took a while as they always do. During that time, Pauls health went to shit, and by the time he was sentenced he was pretty much already dead.

I don't know if he died before he went to jail, or just after.. But that's the "Story" of the KOLLSTEDT rear-ends.

A few of us here in cincy collect them, they turn up occasionally. I think there is half a dozen around here..

8. This car has just been rebodied. Trying to find the history on it. New Paris, Iowa is on the side in vinyl.

[​IMG]

9. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Here's a replica of the Parnelli Jones' Super, built by Dennis Frings...

Attached Files:

10. Vintagesupermods

Vintagesupermods

11. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

12. Homemade flathead v8 powered supermodified from Kansas.

[​IMG]

13. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Some very cool pics and stories here. Thanks for taking the time to post them up. Not sure how I missed it the first go around...

14. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I would love to hear the sounds from this car again the "Red#1" ,it screamed above the rest.Pic is from around 1963.I have not seen many posts from Illinois and Indiana would love to see pics of Gene Hensons' "Flyin Eyeball Buick" #46 from Paris,Ill.He was quite a chassis builder in the 60's & 70's some featured in HOT ROD.

Attached Files:

15. el chuco

el chuco

Great thread, Roostasix! Your super is incredible. Do you by chance have a close-up picture of your front spring perch/weight jacker setup? Thanks!

16. I don't think roostasix has a weight-jacker setup on the front.

There were guys who used quick-change gears to help make weight shift.
    There was also one guy who used a hub/spindle to let the car 'roll' in the turns and get more weight on the right rear. (that went out quick!)

Most cars from our part of the world(NCRA 100" terrirtory) just used a spring perch.

17. el chuco

el chuco

It'd be cool to see some pics of those different setups you mentioned. I can't get enough of the ingenuity found in the old race cars. The front setup on roostasix's super looks like it might be kinda like this one on an old super I bought that was run in West Texas probably in the 60s. There's a tube welded to the upper spring clamp plate with a shoulder bolt running through the tube to serve as a pivot. When the weight jacker bolts are screwed in or out it jacks the spring up or down on that side.

Attached Files:

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Add a ratchet and socket and you have a driver controlled weight jacker.

Attached Files:

19. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

Hope you guys don't mind if I post some asphalt stuff.........;)

Attached Files:

20. Now that you mention it, this setup is the most common. Had my head up 'you know where'.

21. no problems with me.

22. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

FYI........I listed my vintage super in the HAMB classifieds, Complete running car offered with or without mag wheels-Thanks Tom

Great thread, Lets keep it going:rolleyes: