Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bob McCoy's '40 Sedan

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Funny,My buddy around the corner has a clone and were convinced there werent more than a hand full of pics of the original car.

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

A handful of shots? Hell, I'd like to see more than just the one I posted!

4. I believe that I have a color shot of this car....I'll look and see if I can find it so I can forward it to you.

5. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I love that car......one of the BEST '40 Fords ever.
    Somewhere I have a pic of it from another angle.....I'll try and find it.

6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Bob is still around San Diego and is a terrific artist.

http://www.bobmccoyart.com/index.html

I'm not 100% sure, but IIRC, the shot at the top of his web page was on the cover of one of the small size Car Craft magazines? I believe it was also pictured on a Hot Rod annual cover.

I believe I once red that the 40 is still around; black and updated into a street rod.

What's odd is that his website states it was "one of the most photographed Hot Rods ever"... but as you mentioned, we seldom see pics of it.

7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Pretty sure I have a cover shot on a Hot Rod annual. If it's not already up by the time I'm home I'll shoot it.

8. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

I read somthing a year or so that it was bought and repainted.That car always stuck in my mind also.Also Jerry Morland's worlds fastest street rod 1985

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think the hot rod annual shot is the same shot hot rod used in the magazine earlier in the year...

Most photographed hot rod ever? Ha.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

A related memory...Colombia, circa 1961...
    AMT models had just released a '40 Ford kit with extravagant flame decals clearly inspired by that car. I had just scored a kit on a Christmas trip to the USA with my parents, and the box was sticking out of my bag because I was constantly rummaging through the parts and planning my build...
    On arrival in Colombia, we were not subject to customs as diplomats, but a customs officer spotted that picture and BEGGED for a look in the box!
    He was a bit disappointed to see a heap of loose black plastic bits, but absolutely loved the decal sheet...I wonder if it inspired a style down there?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. This is kind of ironic, From Bob's web site "Bob has owned about 30 hot rods of his own, including the famous ‘40 Ford Tudor that he purchased back in 1953, which became one of the most photographed hot rods in the United States. It is still featured in hot rod magazines to this day."
    this is Bob's own artwork of the car.
    [​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

What was the story on the most unique part- the front bumper? It was in a story that it's hanging in someones garage.

13. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Ryan, I started a thread about the Bob McCoy car 3-4 years ago in which Mike B. (AV8) posted a bunch of pictures. I don't know if that can still be salvaged?

14. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Hmmmmmm, as my forty was basically built because of my infatuation with Bob's forty, I just knew that his car was on the cover of another magazine. All I had to do was find it. Sooooo, I rummaged around my magazine collection which goes back into the dark ages of car mags and found that it, indeed, was featured on the cover of the October 1956 issue of Car Craft. However, it could well be the same photo that is shown on the 1958 Hot Rod annual. However, there has been some trickery with the shadows, etc. I'll leave that to others who know more about photo manipulation than I do.

But, back to Bob's car - one of the most influential hot rods ever. And that's a fact!!!

Thanks Ryan. Glad you're on the mend...

15. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

No photos from me ...

But Bob McCoy is a nice guy to talk to.
    About 15 years ago he was in Columbus Ohio at the NSRA Nationals selling some of his art prints. Around 2:30 in the afternoon on Sunday ... a friend bought a print he had framed for display ... and he cut my friend a heck of a deal on it because he did not want to ship in back home. Signed it and everything. I did not have a 40 at the time ... but Bob was real nice ... My friend died of cancer ... since then and he gave me the print ... and it hangs proudly in my den . He only printed a thousand of these ... and I have a signed one :D

[​IMG]

16. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

If anyone will post a photo of the Car Craft mag, I will scan it and get it to you ASAP. I'm just a cretin when trying to do this...

Sorry.

17. Pops

Pops
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa

I would sure like to see a shot of this car from the back. Anyone?

J.

18. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Some pics from the 2007 Indy World of Wheels Autorama (1962 Motorama re-creation show...)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  19. That has always been one of my all time favorite 40 Fords ever. Everything just came together and made for a perfect look in my eyes.

20. Turbo442

Turbo442

I have met Bob a few times and he is an incredibly nice and humble man. I like his artwork. One of his sprint car race paintings is framed and signed hanging on the wall in our hallway.
    You guys that see him at the shows stop and talk to him, you will be glad you did. And buy something too.

21. Cshabang

Cshabang

its that Cdan that first made me want one..haha still do.

22. 50Fraud

50Fraud

It's the same photo, although the cast shadow is trimmed off on the annual. There is one more B/W photo inside the Car Craft issue, in an article about flame painting, but it doesn't show any details that aren't visible in the cover shot.

23. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those are my two favorite 40's too. Lee Pratt's gold coupe also rates very high with me. Seems to me I've seen the photo in the thread of the McCoy car and then a 3/4 view from the left rear too. Those are the only two pictures I've seen.

24. razorback

razorback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Sweden

My favorite too!!

Attached Files:

25. All the guys asking what a "traditional" hot rod is, should be made to stare at that cover shot for an hour. it don't get more tradidional.

26. L.A.-Bar

L.A.-Bar
    from Lforida

The flame job was by Ray Cook of San Diego and rumored to have been laid over original paint. Front nerf is hanging in a garage, also in San Diego. As unique as the car is, McCoy is the real deal and even today is suprised at all the attention the car still generates......a true hot rod classic.

27. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I took this picture at the '05 NSRA SE Nats. Didn't get the owner's name. I would imagine it's a copy, sure looks good!

Attached Files:

28. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Somebody has to have that pic of McCoy hanging out the cars window with a big smile on his face.
    Thats the one I always remember.

29. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

Dig out the September 2000 Rod and Custom- nice article about Bob on page 121 (thats my 40 on the cover- ya, Bob influenced me a lot). He has a 40 standard coupe now, and the nerf bar off the tudor is on it- he tells me he's had all kinds of offers to buy it over the years, but hung onto it. His old tudor is in San Diego (painted black, with billett wheels, as I recall) Bob says its a real boring car now.
    Look for a biography on Bob's life next year- I spoke with him about month ago, and he expects it to be completed soon (He's had quite a life- rodeo cowboy, mafia bodyguard, Indy 500 driver, professional actor/stuntman). He will have them for sale probably on his website.
    He still has the T track roadster (in Hop Up a while back, and his '40 coupe)- just a great guy!! Always has a display of his artwork at L.A. Roadster show and Goodguys P-ton

30. twochops

twochops

Ryan--Wish you wouldn't start these great threads
    when I'm in Florida and my old photos and magazines
    are in Michigan.---------TwoChops
    READ- speedstylemagazine.com-Bob McCoy Hot Rod Hero
    (His life story)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008