Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Model-40 Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Rikster

Rikster

A few more photos of that great looking DuVall windshield Roadster...

[​IMG]

Same car but in white... not sure if the white or dark version was first...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interior...

[​IMG]

Another 33-34 Roadster... R&C cover car...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And ofcoars Alex Xydias knew how to make one look good as a custom...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coupe... in a bit of custom trim... With Hollywood flipper hubcaps Whitewalls and Appleton Spots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Rick Dore's... I think it is a bit to modern with to much Billet... But he sure proved the 33-34 can look very good as custom. (36 Ford rear fenders sure help a lot...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Rikster, do you know anything else about the car at all? Who owned it? Who built it?

Personally, I think it's the only good looking car of the group you posted.

4. Rikster

Rikster

I dont know much about that car at all...
    AHRF has two photos of this car (both interior shots) on their site, but have it listed as unidentified.

I have read somewhere that the white version was owned by Al Marx... But no builder etc was listed.

Yes you are right this one is pure! I like the coupe with flippers as well.

One more photo of the white/Black Roadster... The dash ARHF photo

[​IMG]

This is the AHRF photo description:

This modified Ford dash has just about everything a person could want. The 120 mph speedo behind the banjo wheel shows 22808 miles on it. The registration is in its little protector in the steering column just below what looks like one of Earl "Mad Man" Muntz's radios. Farther down is a flashlight for late night breakdowns. A heater helpes keep your feet warm when the headers don't on cold So-Cal nights. Turned dash inserts and white Naugahide complete the interior.

5. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

I really like the first example of a '34 Custom and the last version produced by Rick Dore. I can't help myself, Rick's treatment is just so sensual it's obscene. Sorry, just my two pennies worth...

6. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

the black(dark) version has a 42 california plate on it(41 with 42 strip on top to save metal during the war)
    the white(light) one has a 47 plate with a corner tab..so its 48 or later

7. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

That is one really beautiful roadster. Do anyone know what the headlights are from?

8. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

9. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Very beautiful - I'd really like a '35 roadster with a similar treatment. The car Jack Nicholson should have driven in Chinatown, IMHO.

-Dave

10. alchemy

alchemy

The white version of the subject roadster is featured in a circa 1950 Ford Times magazine. I forget which issue exactly, and it may take me weeks to find it. Anybody have those mags handy? I think the same issue has the Niekamp roadster featured.

11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Although the idea of a custom '34 is not my cup of tea, I thought Dore's was remarkably successful when I first saw it a few years ago. For my taste, the one that Ryan posted needs to be considerably lower to make the skirts work.

12. Rikster

Rikster

[​IMG]

13. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Hahaha! Thanks, Rik!

14. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The roadster has 2 radios - may have been an early FM installation. White version shows a heavy mast antenna.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  15. I agree with Ryan... I like the top two only. I think its a fine line that needs to be walked on the custom side. The top car pulls that off, the others....close.

Also think the duvall looks nicer on the 34 then 32. Duvall's add that custom look I like, think they are better recieved on a custom then hot rod. I've got an original saved for a 34 or 36 someday, fingers still crossed.

Killer thread, thanks Ryan.

16. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

I'm in love. NOTHING like that old timey custom stance. I like everything about it. Whoever your pal is that got one of these should build it like the dark one.....or the white one

17. scruff

scruff

I thought it was common knowledge that gorgeous 34 roadster was attributed to Wes Collins.

18. Rikster

Rikster

Correct, he was the original owner... builder?

19. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

There's just something that clicks with me when I see any custom with skirts. It immediately sends me back in time to the 40's. I love that first roadster. Simple and elegant. We should be building more customs this way.

20. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Agreed! :)

21. Great cars! This is the style I'm looking at for my '29 build.

22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I`ve always loved this build style for years. Theres a maroon 34 roadster(?) with a white top and a Duval windshield and widewhites from Colorado is the closest I`ve seen to that one. Then theres a 33 Sedan Delivery with widewhites and full skirts from Florida. Street Scene October 03- page 34. Gene Winfield built a roadster simalar to Alex`s after seeing his. You have to remove the rear fenders to change the tire.