Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 CHEVY SIX-SUPERCHARGER- Ever seen one, bought one......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by markanthony, Jul 22, 2004.

1. markanthony

markanthony

Hey there,

I have and itch to keep playing with the motor in my daily driver. Has anyone seen a supercharger for the Chevy Six? Either, industrial or otherwise?

Mark-Anthony

2. S1B

S1B

The only one Ive seen was in California Bills speed manual for Chevy,GMC 6cyls.Maybe a couple of other pics in old 50s car mags.

3. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

here is one from a muculloch super charegre you would use a vs57 model

Attached Files:

4. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Here's mine.

A Wade blower, puts put about 5 lbs of boost.

The set-up was made by my late friend Max Knight from Brisbane Australia.

Several years a company from Texas - Hunter Performance - made set-ups for 236/261 and 292. As far as I know only the 292's are still being made by Dick Larrowe, who advertises on the Inliners web site.

Attached Files:

5. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

bracket has the CH 101 designation on it which indicates that it is for the V8, however it fits the inline 6 perfectly which suggests that it was originally designed for the inline 6.

6. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Other side

I'll fit it to my 29 model A coupe after its on the road.

Attached Files:

7. here's some bad pics of a very cool PU.......an 871 ona 6????? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. nother

Attached Files:

9. Rocket88

Rocket88

I've got an old Stovebolt catalogue from 96.
    They were selling complete blower kits back then.

10. bigron

bigron

there was one in rod and custom awhile back on a shebox chevy. looked cool. the blower was right in the drivers sight sitting on the left. i like six bangers. running a 194/ powerglide in my wagon for now. have a 250/ tubo 350 to go in it.

11. markanthony

markanthony

Thank you so much guys.... just with the names and the direction.. I'm off and on the hunt.. My wifes, friends dad, works on industrial trucks and has for the last 40 years...said he had some industrial GMC blowers sitting around the shop but hasn't been able to put a finger on them yet... the pictures are great, that gives me an idea of placement and such... You gents are the best,,,thanks again.
    Mark-Anthony

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I photographed a homemade setup using a latemodel Eaton type hung on a later Chevy six at York a couple of years ago--could probably find that. Someone--cannot remember who--actually marketed a kit using one of the small GMC clone type blowers in the last decade or two. And in the early fifties, there was a Besasie turbo setup!
    I've got an old mag article on a later turbo installation on a late six--it was incredibly simple with the adjacent intake and exhaust, and simply used a disposable Vega filter as a pressure bonnet!

13. markanthony

markanthony

You wouldn't be able to copy and fax me that article would you?

If you can and have the time, would you send me a PM and I'll give you my fax #
    mark-anthony

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'll see if I can track it dow. I think it might even be two articles, one a hot rod and the other a GM experiment. These engines are very conveniently arranged for a turbo. I'm just about to leave on a trip and all is chaos, so if I don't get back to you shortly PM or email me a reminder.

15. Little Terry

Little Terry

Let's get this thread going again.

I've just bought a wade blower casing to offer up to my 235 once I've got it put back together.

Any more pics out there?

What has been used - dual rochesters, side draft webers, zeneth etc?

How have you hooked up the throttle linkage?

What manifold arrangements are being used?

Mark.

16. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

This is my manifold - as seen above.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Carbies
    [​IMG]
    As you can see in the smaller photos - you don't need to make as an elaborate manifold, just work with the outlet that is on the blower - mine has been machined off.

Attached Files:

17. unclechop

unclechop

Hey stovebolt-nice setup.
    It almost looks like it will fit my Grey!
    Got any Norman pics?

18. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Here's some more

Attached Files:

19. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Nope - you'll have tot go to the FC-FE club web-site for them :)

20. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

Anyone driven a car with one of these charged 6's hows the power? sound?

21. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

54C - I still haven't got my coupe on the road.

my mate told me he used to blow y-block powered Customlines into the weeds, and he ran a 216

22. Little Terry

Little Terry

There's some good inspiration there!

I was thinking of fitting the blower with the 90 degree elbow at the top and a pair for sidedraft carbs bolted on to that, so that they poke out of the hood side. Maybe webers - would they work ok? Perhaps there is something more 'period'?

This would mean that I could place the blower on top of my dual offy manifold with a conversion plate.

What do i need to watch out for when setting up this item? I've heard horro stories about detonation caused by blowers fitted to unsuitable motors.

23. Bandimere (is it John?) down in Denver has one. It was featured in R&C in 90 or so, one of a handfull built in the 50s I believe.

24. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Anyone know where you can get the (ball) bearings for a McCulloch supercharger?
    The duck is on the nameplate on top,but he needs some balls (bearings!)

25. There was a 34 Chev sedan running the street of Pasadena Ca. in the late 50's early 60's that switched between a 6-71 and 5 carbs and looked as good as it ran. someone must have some photo's I know it was in a few mags of the day. the blower sat sideways at about 45 degrees.
    then I took a photo at the "end of the world" a few years ago

Attached Files:

26. Little Terry

Little Terry

This is the casing i picked up. On the lookout for parts to complete it.....rotors, front and rear covers, pulleys etc.

[​IMG]

Mark.

27. Stovebolt,
    Is the drive mechanism stock to a Wade supercharger, or did you devise it yourself?
    I've got a V6-71 case I've had lying around forever, the drive is the sticking point for me.
    I'm just curious if yours is made of easy to come by stuff. :)
    JK

28. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Jk, it was devised by my late friend. Most Blower companies would be able to help you to make a drive for your blower.

29. Traditional36

Traditional36

I know it may not be traditional, and i may get flamed, but what about a turbo set up. Would that not be easier? Did anyone really do it back in the 50's or 60's

30. ^^^^^^^

The Mallicoat Bros. did. :)
    Google them.
    JK

Stovebolt,
    Thanks for the heads up.
    JK