Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest User Albums...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Steve

Steve

Ryan I noticed the user galleries I like them. Is there a way to get a lisitng of everyone who has a gallery?

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's kind of what we are working on... a way for the great galleries to be findable...

4. Steve

Steve

maybe a gallery search function with keywords in the name of the gallery?

5. nexxussian

nexxussian

The galleries are a nice feature, wish i had some pics that are worthy. Guess I'll have to come up with another camera (old one's in about 75' of water:().

6. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I've not noticed that before. I went back and forth a couple of times, how do you get that feature to activate? i.e. I can't find it without linking through this particular post.... ?

7. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Ahh, never mind, I was one level too far in.

8. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

as far as the "promotion" dilemma goes, i think you're well on the right track with a "latest album pic" section, maybe to follow should be the addition of "random album pic" section adjacent to said "latest..." area. another (unrelated) forum i belong to uses a star rating system for their photos, that might serve as a jumping off point to build a random photo generating engine.

thanks, Ryan i've enjoyed many of the new updates. they've done a lot to bring me back into the fold.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  9. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Another Idea might be a project gallery for Alliance members only to show others hoow our projects are comming along.

jim h

10. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

11. mcload

mcload

I had the honor of seeing The Waco Kid recently (June 8th) at the Classy Chassis show in Reliant Stadium, Houston. At the time, I had no idea what I was looking at, but I knew it had to have an important pedigree or story to be included in this show.

I wish I had taken more photos of it, but there were over a hundred cars, and I just didn't want to end up (again) with a thousand photos to have to edit.

Here are the five I took of The Waco Kid (choose "slideshow" in the upper RIGHT on PhotoBucket page, or click the image twice for largest size).
    http://s322.photobucket.com/albums/nn411/pmcload/The%20Waco Kid/?albumview=link

Oh..and El Jefe....you're welcome to copy and have these pics if you like, but then again, you own the actual car, so what do you need pics for? ;-)

12. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Dreadman, you album is real cool. I could stare at the detail shot all day.

14. mcload

mcload

15. autobilly

autobilly

The new features are great. It's hard to keep up with all the new stuff that's happening. The only problem for me is finding the time to check it all out regularly.
    The albums, feature video and social groups, as well as the main boards are making the HAMB a lifestyle in itself! Like the Hotel California, you can enter but never leave.

16. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

User gallery? I have got to pay more attention.

17. gonmad

gonmad

AWESOME Ryan!! Thanks!!
    Like said already, possibly a page dedicated to all user gallery's with all the ones posted that day in the main page of that link.

18. I also love the new "Albums" feature ... some might say a bit too much :) ... cuz I filled my Albums with their "quota" of images (100) on the very first day of the "new & improved" H.A.M.B.!

I don’t anticipate that I'll "need" to add too many more images … but it would sure be nice to at least have the option ... currently, I'm having to delete pics before adding any new ones. :(

While the images in my albums are no where near as nice as Dreadman's, I have (much to my surprise) received quite a few positive comments about my albums ... and have had several requests to add even more pics to them.

I do realize that even in today’s world of multiple Terabyte storage devices, the HAMB's file-system space is not an infinite resource ... and therefore, Ryan has to draw the line somewhere ... I'm just hoping he considers "redrawing" that line :D

Ryan ... any chance the max limit on images could be bumped up to 150 (or maybe even 200)?

19. valkokir

valkokir
    from DeKalb, IL

I think it's great, I wish I could get the pictures in a specific order. I tried naming them differently and messing with the order I uploaded them in but it seems to find it's own order regardless. oh well.

20. Agreed ... the capabilty for a user to "organize" their own albums would be an added plus.

As a work-around, I've found that if you add one image at a time, it will keep them in "order" ... if you had 10 images you wanted to put in an album in the chronoligical order that they were taken, you would simply add them (1 at a time) to the album in reverse order (i.e.: #10, #9, #8 ... #1).

21. mcload

mcload

Sorry for being a dumb shit, but where exactly does someone go to start an album? I see the album "pod" near the bottom of the HAMB header page, but no links to where to begin an album. I've checked all the little menu boxes....nada.

22. Patrick ... here's the FAQ on Albums:

How do I use albums?
    As a member, you can create Albums of images that are linked to your public profile. Albums can be created by visiting the User Control Panel, and clicking on the 'Pictures & Albums' link, and then clicking on 'Add Album'.
    Each album can have a title ('Joe's Holiday to Nepal'), a description ('A bunch of photos from my recent adventure') and can be of three different types: Public, Private or Profile.
    • Public albums can be viewed by anyone
    • Private albums can only be viewed by site staff (moderators, administrators) and your Friends and Contacts (info)
    • Profile albums are viewable only by you. However, you can use the images to customize your public profile (info)
    How do I upload pictures?
    Once you've created an album you can upload images to it. Simply view the album and click on 'Upload Pictures'.
    You'll have the option to give each picture a caption, and to set one image as the Album cover, which will be displayed on the public profile. To delete an album or edit the title, description or album type, click on 'Edit Album'. To delete an image, or to edit a caption or change the album cover, click on 'Edit Pictures'.
    All members who have access to your album images can comment on them, in a similar way to Visitor Messages (more info). You can delete any image comments from your albums, and report inappropriate messages to moderators.
    When you have uploaded a picture, you can place it in your posts by using the BB code text that is displayed below the image when you view it at full size.

23. I'm diggin' it!

I stayed up 'till two the other night looking for old pics and loading them...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1014

Like ryan said, it was a walk down memory lane!

I even put some links to the stories behind the cars in the text... just click on the pic of the cars and you will find the links.

Some have them, some don't...

But man... wouldn't it be cool if you had a feature where people could click on a pic of a car on someone's page, then click on all the "how to" stuff they did??

Rolf's car comes to mind...

I put the links to the story on my yellow '55 for instance... but you can't just click on the link, you have to copy and paste.

Any way to fix that, ryan?

Sam.

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Ryan,
    Are the new albums for "anything?" If so, I see no reason why I shouldn't transfer nearly all my Fokti stuff to my album area, eh? I don't have that many images in my Fokti files, and almost all of them are automotive related. You can see them if you want by hitting the link in my signature.

I haven't checked yet, but do the images loaded in our albums here have a size requirement or limit?

Was your intention to create a HAMB Fokti? Or should the albums here be limited to a subject specific.. work in progress, finished projects, road trips, tech tips, etc.

Also, is there a way to link a photo in a HAMB album to a post? That way I wouldn't have to resize the image(s) on my computer, load them in Fokti and then link them to the HAMB post. That is a pain. And, if so, it would be really great if the linked photo would be automatically be re-sized for me, so I wouldn't have to worry about that aspect.

Lastly, here is a link to a model car site I am on. While I'm no computer wiz and I'm sure this one is as hozed as you can imagine, one feature I like on this site is that all the photos and albums are accessible from a button in the first page header. There is no need to look each person up. Once you hit the photos button, the photos are accessible many ways.. from a recently posted search, by member names and by subject area. Just go to the Photos button in the top bar.. http://www.largescalemodeler.com/welcome.html

Just wondering, Gary

25. mcload

mcload

26. Gary,
    I believe the albums are for people to share their hot rods and hot rodding stuff... not ALL of it... people don't want to sift through 100 pictures to find one good one... just the stuff of interest.
    Sam.

27. mikes51

mikes51

I like the way your picture gets resized automatically when you put it in your album. You hear so often how resizing a pic is just too much trouble or confusing to learn. This might encourage more people to put their favorite few pics up.

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Your albums are just that... YOURS... Just like your profile page. Do whatever the hell you want with them. :)

29. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

I wonder if there could be a rating system put on them like the star ratings on good posts. That way the top rated albums could be put in a quick pick somewhere.

Maybe instead of a star rating it could be rated 1 to 10 with ten being best rate.

30. bct

bct

about the visitor messaging ...why does a message have to be approved ? or can you just ignore the prompts? thanks....

nevermind ...i guess its to approve the message for display

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008