Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tulsa Buried Car Update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by t-town-track-t, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

Ok, so I finally had enough and wrote a letter to the editor. AND THEY PUBLISHED IT Thats right, I'll sign autographs later. Anyway, the Urban Tulsa Weekly ran my letter and I thought some of you may be interested in reading what I had to say and found out:

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Very well written. keep us up to date if you get any answers from the powers that be.

3. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

You think your bummed out, I was there when they buried the car and have been waiting 50 frigin years to see it dug up.Now the greedy bastards with the city is going to make it very costly and diffcult to watch so I might not get to see it done.:(

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

did anyone ever contact you after this was published... I agree by the way!!

5. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Sad part- they will write off the few dollars and complaints while looking at the huge payday for the people willing to pay. It's a rip-off, but that's politics and government at work.

6. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I would suspect the people who buried the Belevdere 50 years ago could never have expected the excavation of it would create such a dog's breakfast of bureaucracy.

7. Gas Huffer

Gas Huffer

It seems no one misses a chance to turn a buck. I would have thought that it would be written off as a tourism campaign. Guess I was wrong. Keep up the good fight.

8. Wait till they put the car on ebay or BJ. Oh, the Horror!

9. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Great Letter! I wonder if they'll be cordoning off the excavation and all to prevent it from being seen. And then, aren't they supposed to "prepare" the car for viewing? WTF? I want to see what it looks like when the crack the case its been inside of for 50 years.

10. Didn't we just read a thread that said "Floyd" will be there? Are they paying him?

11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Bentley, as someone who grew up in Tulsa and will always appreciate that fact, I have to say "You are the man!" I was planning to travel from Arkansas to Tulsa to witness this thing I heard about growing up, but now I think I'll stay home. A 500 mile round trip with $3 gas, hotel, food, etc is expensive enough without adding in an admission ticket for no other reason than greed.

I gladly pay $20 to go to the Starbird show at Expo Square (although I still call it the IPE Building), but that's 'cause there's 1,000 nice cars to look at. I ain't gonna pay $25 to see one rusted Plymouth!

12. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Try to get us an e-mail addy and the HAMBers will put the hammer down on someone. That might help.....let's see 29,000 e-mails might fill their mailbox!

13. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

I saw the article saying that Boyd was going to be there the day after I sent the letter. I so would have loved to brought that point up as well.

14. Bobaloo

Bobaloo
    from Tulsa, OK

My wife works for a downtown Tulsa company that has ties to the Buried Belvedere event. I work for a company that is in the equipment rental business. We tried to be the one to haul the Belvedere from the site to the Convention Center on our lowboy semi trailer free of charge. They refused instead saying that they would let us do it if we made a $5000 dollar donation to the Buried Belvedere event. They said the 5 grand was for the free advertising that we would get from the event. They've turned this into a total money making fiasco. The last thing I heard was that they are having problems figuring out how the hell they're going to open the vault. I guess it was sealed with something that they weren't thinking about. I really had hoped that it wouldn't turn into what it has. I planned on taking June 15th off to be there but I really am having second thoughts.

15. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I went to the buried car website and it states that the car was buried to show the future what "American industrial ingenuity" was like in 1957. If we buried a Focus (or whatever) with the same intent today our children would laugh at us. If that car was alive it would cry when it saw what became of it's beloved Detroit. I'm only 26, so I don't remember the good old days, but I could imagine.

16. By "prepare" do you mean after they drain all the water outta that coffin and sweep up whats left? Hahaha.....

I agree with whats being said I honestly do, but I will be in attendance simply bc this is the only time in my lifetime that something like this will take place.

17. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I went to buriedcar.com

There will be limited viewing of the unearthing of the car for "sponsors, dignitaries, and alumna" of the '57 event.

Tickets for the unveiling, after the car has been dug up and transported to the Convention Center, are $5 upper level, $10 lower lever, $25 floor.

There will also be the Tulsarama Open Car Show outdoors, entry fee is $20

There will be a Tulsarama Invitational Car Show indoors, a "museum quality exhibit" with admission of $5 (kids free).

There will be a Sock Hop that also has a "nominal admission fee."

18. What a goat-rope!
    Without going on a political rant... it seems that almost every government (state, local, federal) is always looking for any way to 'increase its funding'. Seems to me that it shouldn't cost a hell of a lot to do this.

How much does it cost the city to buy extra insurance or police time when there's a parade? C'mon, the extra money that's going to show up with all the out-of-towners... no reason to gouge anyone. Charge vendors (hot dogs, tee shirts, etc.) a modest fee to set up, and it should cover the costs.

And it seems that there would be all kinds of businesses who'd sign up to help out gratis - and write it off as PR - if they weren't bent over and shtupped for five grand for the privilege.

Hell, the only way I'd agree to pay an entrance fee is if Boyd got stuck sitting in a dunk tank. Oughta' be free.

-bill

19. "Yeah, Duane and the guys are gonna slice off the roof, shave the fins fill the backseat, bolt on some one-off bilgett wheels and blackwalls-we're calling it 'The Gravester'....."
    Boyd

20. SHRUM

SHRUM

I have allready taken off work also. I am pretty bummed out about not seeing it unearthed. Really could care less about the car show or sock hop. I want to see them open it!

You guys are kidding about BOYD being there right?

Its going to be a circus.

21. Maybe you'll be getting a professional Football or Baseball team soon! This is just their way of lubing you up for the screwing you'll be taking then.

22. r8odecay

r8odecay

I'm just gonna crash it and make sure the girlfriend has bail money and my running shoes are tied up tight. I suggest we ALL do this...

23. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Id also write em again and ask em how much its costing to get ol cotterpin to come? floyd dont do that shit for free and im thinking the old fuck aint got nuttin to do with the burial or the design of the car to begin with so there is more wasted money. I cant see him adding anything to the event .. I dont dislike the man but if he cant come for free then he should stay home.
    Dave

24. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

To quote Mark Twain, "the rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated". Don't count Detroit down and out. They are building some great cars. We're just drunk from the Japanese kool-aid. :)
    Back to the topic now......

25. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

I noticed that there is a "message board" on the buriedcar.com website. So I tried to post the letter. it popped up a screen that says "your message will be posted once it has been reviewed and approved" Looks like they are censoring all of the discontent!

26. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Come on ! Thats a dollar a year???
    You ought to buy me and you a seat up front!!....:confused:

Just a few gallons of flathead fuel in my book.:) :) :)

27. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Just wait for the video. I'm sure someone will tape it and it will be on youtube before dinner time that evening.

Good on you though for writing the letter, I couldn't agree more. If it were a little closer I would be there myself. I'm with
    r8odecay<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1970556", true); </SCRIPT> get your running shoes tied and go!

28. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

Government sucks.

bring back the republic.

-W

29. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

American hotrod seems to be falling out of heavy rotation, if he's smart, he's there with an offer to make the car over to boost ratings.

30. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Has anyone given any thought to the possibility that the car will be so destroyed by the elements that the Buried Belvedere Committee will have a duplicate car on hand ready to replace the detriorated real car? Will the unearthing be shielded from view or broadcast on live television by the local TV station?

Wait a minute!! Isn't that a commercial on right now for the new Geraldo Special: Okies Belvedere Scandal Revealed!?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.