Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best way to ship a 25-26 Lb package in the U.S.?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Lately, I've been selling a few parts and shipping is killin me. I've been estimating the shipping costs [based on nothing!] when I sell parts and I've inevitably shot too low, picking up the difference myself. I had no idea shipping was this expensive, using USPS....any tips?

2. old beet

old beet

Might want to try the Post Office for small stuff....OLDBEET

3. carkiller

carkiller

USPS is best for my money. Use mamas bathroom scale for estimated weight, Hit www.usps.com hit shipping package, enter your info. Add a coupla bucks for error and tape. Cal

4. Paul2748

Paul2748

Used the post office a lot lately and no one has complained about delivery. To estimate shipping costs I use the bathroom scale and then go to the USPS web site. You can figure shipping costs as long as you know the zip code to where its going. Make sure the bathroom scale is fairly accurate. Get the delivery zip code when you sell.

5. Crestliner

Crestliner

I use ups web site and probably should add a little, but havn't yet

6. BigJim394

BigJim394

Try Fed Ex ground rates. You have to bring the package to a Fed Ex terminal customer counter to get the lowest rates, as any of those Mailboxes type of mall mail/shipping places will add 20-25% onto either UPS or Fed Ex rates (The UPS Stores add about 25 percent onto the UPS rate you would get if you brought the package to a real UPS counter at one of their termnals. Here's the website of their (Fed Ex) rate calculator. I sell a lot on ebay and Fed Ex ground rate is almost always a lot lower than the USPS rates and the UPS ground rate for heavier items, and they give free shipping insurance (up to a $100.00 value) as part of their basic shipping fee. And if the person you are shipping to has a work or commercial/business adress that the package could be shipped to, the rate is even lower.

http://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/home?cc=US&language=en

7. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

25-26 pounds in a package small enough to go through the Post Office shouldn't be TOO pricey...depending on HOW it's shipped in the U.S.

Parcel Post will be the cheapest...maybe $15 as a S.W.A.G.*

Priority Mail will be quite a bit more, but will get there a day or three faster in most cases.

In my experiences at least...I've found the Post Office to be very consistent in their pricing...going by the scale and not based on a whim like UPS seems to do!

Anymore...if it's too big or heavy for me to ship through the Post Office...you gotta come and GET it!

* S.W.A.G. = Scientific Wild Ass Guessing (or Guess)

I sent a box o' carburetors and parts that was pretty heavy (20-25lbs I'm sure) to California not long ago by Parcel Post and I think it ran me $14 (or close to that).

What are ya payin' now, Rock???

8. Thanks, everybody...

9. dondanno

dondanno

I am with Jim I have a fedex ground account I print airbills here and drop them off done and cheap...Danny

10. 1LOWCHIEF

1LOWCHIEF

I just paid 25.70 to ship a 19 pound package from California to Calgary, Canada, via UPS.. I never did check Postal Service for costs, are they much cheaper than USPS?

11. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I agree 100% on Fed Ex Ground. I ship everything that way, unless it is too big and I have to take it to UPS.

12. After calculating usps' fees, I actually came in 36 cents LESS than what I charged the guy! Yeehaaaaaaaaaaw!
    Now, we'll see what the mail clerk really charges me tomorrow.....

13. i've set up an account with UPS. you can do it all your shipping online. put in your account number,weight,measurements and print out the shipping label.all you have to do is drop it off at a UPS center or drop off box. you can also just hand it to a UPS driver if you see one. no waiting in line and you can track your shipment online. and by shipping online you get a lower rate

you can also use their website just to check shipping charges,you do not need an account for that

if you do a lot of shipping, you may want to invest in a scale. i bought a Royal model RC40 on ebay for about $80.it connects to your computor and downloads current rates for UPS , USPS , FED EX and Airborne. after you weigh your package , you can imediately compare rates and services between all four

http://www.usps.com/

14. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Rocky, I quit Brown.
    For small packages I use the U.S.Postal, and FedEx for larger packages.
    If you use Fedex next day, follow up with the reciever. if they do not receive next day, Fedex will refund all your cash.
    Jim

15. panheadpete

panheadpete

I've got to say fed- ex to, I bought a couple of 25 pound buick drums and it was the cheapest way to ship them

16. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll

Go there, it gives you a single screen view of UPS and Snail Mail prices.

I wouldnt let FedX in my building, a real clown outfit IMO.
    I ship $300-400 a week UPS and about half that Snail Mail which is the light weight items plus foreign. Those are my shipping charges, not value of the goods.

17. Weldemup

Weldemup
    from Central,NY

Don't forget Greyhound & Shortline for large and oversize items.
    I've shipped doors and other large body parts via bus and the rates are very reasonable.

18. Yeah, I've used the gray dog to ship about half the flathead engine stuff I sent to av8. Forgot where it was until I'd delivered most of it. I think 90 lbs is their limit.
    Thanks for the "shipping info" site. I made a shortcut to it and put it on my desktop for quick reference..

19. Pigiron

Pigiron

Say Please at the Post Office and they will give you a rate chart for their various services. Very helpful. Fedx is a dud in my book.

20. I use Fedex exclusively. Better rates than our Brown misfits. If it is Overseas, I use USPS.

21. I downloaded the informative rate chart off that site..very helpful. It even gives ya a price comparison between USPS and UPS .....

22. Fastsporty

Fastsporty

Fedex ground is my vote, I find that they are the cheapest for US, but like someone said you got to drop it off. For small stuff I like the post office priorty mail. and for overseas I use the post office. Hassle free unlike DHL or fedex. I shiped a set of drag pipes to england it was 30 bucks and the guy got it in 5 days. I don't know how brown stays in business. They don't even come close in rates.