Register now to get rid of these ads!

'49-52 Chevy owners on air ride...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 133, Jan 28, 2006.

1. 133

with the stock front suspension, i've got a quick question for you. what air bags are you using? i ask because i want to use Slam Specialties bags; but they come in 5", 6", and 7" diameters and i have no idea which one to use. thanks for the help.

2. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

the 5" will work just fine and support the weight of the car .
    , and they work better than the 6" because of clearance issues . we sell the 5" slam bags in our kits we sell . if a bag can rub it will pop

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  3. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

i got my front suspension all apart for drop springs right now ill go out and mesure it as soon as i find my damn tape mesure.

4. AaronP

AaronP
    from Hooker, OK

Use the 6" you will have to cut out the spring cup and fabricate a flat steel base. There is a lot of cutting and grinding on the a-arms to make them fit without any rubbing.

5. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

the spring is 4.74" dia. and the pocket is 5" as well as the a-arm. would have to be cut out to run a 6" but it can be done as stated above. just bag the ass end and run drop coils up front thats how my 50 is:D

6. borndead327

borndead327

u cant air bag a 49-54 chevy with the stock front end......as far as i know
    the springs are like 3in dia springs and most airbags are like 4-7 in dia. if you know a way to airbag w/o doint a whole new front end let me know

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

there are several threads on this in the past 3 days, almost as many as the s10 t5 faq. one thread even has detailed pictures front and rear. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72871
    these look like 6 or 7"ers

8. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

yes, you can.

[​IMG]

9. 50chevy

50chevy
    BANNED

Pic of Stock IFS w Bag

Attached Files:

10. screwtheman

screwtheman

Is there a pic of the backside? I'm wondering how the shock is mounted. Thanks!

11. borndead327

borndead327

show more!!!!
    now i dont have to do an mustang2

12. shoebox72

shoebox72

Just an FYI here. There's a good article in the current issue of Lowrider magazine on how to bag a stock 49-54 chevy front end. Future issues will cover bagging the rear & plumbing the system as well.

Billy

13. 50chevy

50chevy
    BANNED

No pick of the backside, I was laying on the ground at the primer nationals taking the pics.

That is the only pic of the front suspension that turned out ok.

Pretty sure there isnt any shocks on the front.

Few more pics of the car are here: (tan chevy w brown roof)
    http://50chevy.com/photos/primer_nationals

14. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

I jsut got this mag. It makes it look REALLY easy. If you can cut and weld, then its easy. It actually seems easier than the rear, if you consider the step notch.

15. 133

thanks for that heads up.

16. usmile4

usmile4

I too got the mag...it's a good article, can't wait for the rest. In the first of the article it talks about all of things they have done to this 49 chevy. I have the article on the installation of the AC unit. They also talk about hiding a sony sound system.

Does anyone have the issue that has the article about the sound system?

Bill

17. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

anyway you can post about the ac system?

18. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

19. usmile4

usmile4

it was in the August 2005 Lowrider.

Does anyone know what issue the sony sound system is in?

20. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

yeah, just didn't want to buy it if you could scan it....its kool tho

21. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

grocery store must not have it yet. anyone scan the bag article?

22. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

I have talked to this guy several times and he is not happy with the amount that his front end is lowered. Due to their vehicle laws, he cannot modify his front end (cut and weld). Without seeing the lowrider article, the only way is to cut away part of the upper support and reinforce on the inside.

23. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

Ya, thats what they do. They cut away part of the bottom of the upper support, and then they reinforce it to the frame.

24. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

thats the way its been done for a long time, works well, if you cant afford an upgraded suspension. i have one to do in the next couple weeks for a club member, maybe i will photograph it for a tech install.

25. kropduster

kropduster

Yeah grease monkey! i love to see that too!

i have a chassis engineering trans mnt kit, but it hangs down WAY past the factory crossmember, which is too low already. I noticed on the blue 54 happy hoppy posted, they built new crossmembers for the trans so they were inside the frame instead of under it, but they didnt use any rubber mnt at the trans. will pose any problems, vibration ect?

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=123970&d=1128084880

26. If youy aren't using motor mounts (rubber ones, that is), then you're OK. If you are using motor mounts, then you will crack your tailshaft housing because of the torque.

27. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

OK I looked at the mag and was wondering does the reinforced webbing actually have to be welded to the frame. I`m not an expert by any means, but it seems like that reinforcement would be enough itself.

28. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

I bet that you wounldnt HAVE to, but it would be foolish not too. Having it welded to the frame makes it a TON stronger. I suppose you could bolt it to the frame if you didnt want to weld.

29. kropduster

kropduster

are these guys running stock spindles? i see in the pic from 50 chevy the car has has of the front side it looks like the spindle has been modified or braced. after seeing this, i NEED my car that low. it is off the frame now, getting notched and what-not .i guess this would be the time to do it...........

30. 40desoto

40desoto

I now this is an old thread..sorry to wake it back up 13 years later..
    . I noticed Gambinos response recommending to use 5" instead of 6" bags on a stock front suspension to avoid rubbing in the frame.. Should of called him first!!! :mad:. I plan on installing airbags on my 1940 desoto with a stock front end. I noticed the coil opening on the frame appeared to be much wider than other cars and was hoping to get away with 6" bags without having to cut the frame for clearance. Another reason to use the 6" bags was because SS5's have a max height of they have 8.625 max height and SS6's have a max height of 11" and both flatten to 2.7"..

Has anyone installed 6" bags on a front Mopar stock suspension without cutting the frame?