Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 y-block info needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coupe33, Aug 25, 2005.

1. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A mechanic I work with bought a 57 Ford 1/2 ton for the cab roof and I have the chassis and box at my place. This is a running motor with a three speed on the column runs good and doesn't smoke. am looking to find out which motor it is. The only listings I have found are 272 or 292 for the two barrel? I am trying to set a value to buy it off him and don't have a clue what it is worth. I have a good rep and don't want to cheat him. I don't really need this but I think it was going to be scrapped. I just mentioned that I would be interested in the rear and he dropped it all off when I wasn't home.
    Any ideas?
    Is it worth using?
    The only listings I have found are 272 or 292 for the two barrel?
    Whats it worth?

2. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

I think it probably is a 292 if it came from a pick up of that vintage. You can tell what it is from the casting numbers on the heads. If you tell me what they are, I can probably tell you what engine it is. If I can't, I know my dad (model40) can. List some numbers here and we'll see what we can do.

If it is a 292, in good running order, it's worth what you are willing to pay. Meaning, it's not a highly sought after motor, although I am using one in my A coupe build. It would probably be fair to offer him $200-300 for the running engine. What you establish for a value on the rest is up to you. I paid $50 for mine out of a wrecked COE. It looks freshly rebuilt, we'll soon see as the day to try to fire it is coming...

3. du$ty

du$ty

i agree with gow....its a 292 id bet...and i am also using one in my coupe...i love them..my first old car had one in it...ive been hooked ever since.its cool because now they are making alot of cool stuff for them again.

4. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Good stuff is easy to find for them, you're right. Offy makes killer manifolds and valve covers. All the Y block stuff is compatible, so you can dress it up like a T-Bird engine very easily. They run great, have a good track record, at least in my experience.

And nothing sounds like a Y block with Smithy's or Brockman's...

And if you can scare up a pair of rams horn manifolds, ooh baby.

5. Fidget

Fidget

6. Y blocks are great. the only problem with them was oiling in the rockers however that is a pretty easy fix. most of the old time racers ran a couple of lines to the vavlve covers and tappit a couple of line in it.

I had a y block in my 55 and it ran like a drean. they are solid motors.

as far a svalue I just sold a 272 motor and ford-o-matic trans to a guy out of a running driving truck for 250.00. I could have got more but I am trying to help out a "youngster". I would say that if you got a running motor that sounds solid and is strong 200-300 is good.

If you need parts they are eveywhere and are still pretty cheap. 4 bbl manifold are out there ( the b code fits newer base carbs the A code is for the "teapot nightmare"). stay away from t-bird sights and stuff...that shit is expensive for a funny looking bird stamped into it.

I have a set of finned valve covers and a b code mnaifold if you want are looking to dress it up.

7. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the heads are 6090. Does this narrow it down? This is all stock including the exhaust with the cross over pipe.

8. 6090 only means it's a Ford head. Check out this page to identify your heads.
    http://www.ford-y-block.com/cylinderheadchart.htm

9. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks to all I just found the serial number and the web site identifies this as a dearborn 57 block 292. I have a 32 pickup with a 327 Chevy (stock) would it be worthwhile to swap and how many mods would be needed? Winter is coming.

10. Fidget

Fidget

6090 is Ford's number for cylinder heads. If you're looking at the heads, there should be a 3 or 4 letter designation on it that tells you what engine head it is.
    Example: ECZ-G is for a 57 Ford. However, it was used on all the engines in 57 so you will need to get the block number. I'll agree with Shiftymutt, and say it's most likely a 292.

11. Paul2748

Paul2748

You really have to get the numbers off the block to determine size (and in the case of 292's and 312's the block numbers are the same). Heads don't really do it because they may have been changed somewhere along the way. Look for the number above the oil filter. Should be three letters, a number and then another letter if an original motor. The later blocks - 59 and up- have different sequence of letters and numbers.

12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

If it's a '57 Y block with a 2 barrell, it could either be a 272 or 292. Mine was a 272. It could be either. The only heads that are worth anything are the ECZ-G castings, which were off of 312, and had larger valves. The ECZ-G castings would be the way to go on a 292, which is commonly believed to be the strongest of all the Y Blocks.

All Y Blocks are generally worthless motors in the grand scheme of things. A perfectly good, complete running engine usually goes for between $100 and $300. The '57 will have the more desireable style of adjustable rockers though, which will bring a few bucks on eBay because guys with '54-'56 Y blocks will want them. They do look good, and they sound great (when they run)

Check out my 272.

Attached Files:

13. kustom72

kustom72

That y-block link listed above shoud get you where you need, they do make speed parts for the Y but I found it pretty spendy stuff, thank God theres adapter kits to mate them up to C4 and 6s, cause that old 3 speed tranny aint worth the pot steel its cast out of. But the 292 I think is a cool old engine, good luck with it, but dont pay over a couple hundred bucks.

14. chopndrop

chopndrop

Just as a price reference, I recently paid $150 for engine/trans/rearend from a 56 Ford truck.

15. Spook

Spook

Go for it. Nothing wrong with those Y-blocks. Valve train oiling problem was pretty much taken care of by cam redesign with groove instead of hole for oil to go through. Also better oil than 50 years ago with less sludge build up to clog passage ways. Rear main seal was a problem, however they have better seals today. And as someone else said "Nothing sounds like a Y-block"

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

They are a little long. Note the firewall, but they are a cool looking motor. The valve covers are chromed Mercurys...not seen everyday. The truck ram horn exhaust manifolds are pricey but most of the hot rod parts are really pretty cheap by comparison. (this is not mine)

[​IMG]

80 bucks for this intake.

[​IMG]

A bath, a shave and a haircut...

[​IMG]

This is mine. 292 3 spd w/OD. A fun car to drive. I'm impressed with the little Y block....4.11 gears make it fun!

17. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

well, that'll happen to any motor if you run em with no oil, or antifreeze, even a mopar motor.