Register now to get rid of these ads!

And a build continues

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by canadianal, Jul 14, 2012.

1. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Yeah I am going to give the stock pump a shot and see how it goes. hope it keeps up with the carb, It may not but well see.
    Ill get some pics up in a few days

2. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

here are some pics of the fueltank plus the trans cooler mounted

Attached Files:

3. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

oh and i I wanted to back up my other statements re our race club heres the new signboard for at the gate. 1960's rates maybe ??

Attached Files:

4. Old28

Old28

I like how you have mounted radiator, fuel tank & trans cooler to plates and cross members so you can unbolt and remove them for engine removal.

Trans cooler looks real nice layed in the front.

5. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

chassis is done built the new trans mount made it a slider so i can get the engine and trans mounted easier. also welded 1/4 nuts on the rt inner frame rail so i can make some mounts for the fuel lines and trans lines. started bending 3/8 line for the fuel and trans. easier said than done but will get it accomplished. they will look nice as long as i can get them to look match fairly well

Attached Files:

6. Old28

Old28

Good idea on the slider Al, should make install a little easyer. Make sure you have some pictures of the line to frame clamp setup when you get them in.;)

Keep up the good work. Hope you are getting around a little better.:)

7. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

After taking the assy in and out a couple times i figured out the slider should work good. Am going to pick up some 1/2 flat aluminum tomorrow and make up some clamps for the lines. have a small tubing bender handle and can get a good radius but cant make it real tight without kinking .
    Am getting better every day really making strides in the last week except still have 3 unhealed ribs sliding around.Starting to get some strength back but cant put it to use because of the ribs
    Think I am selling my last big bike may put it on line this weekend two move before the snow flies

8. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

made some little alum brackets for the steel lines the trans cooler lines turned out good , dont look at the fuel line I will be making another one of those as it was ruined before i got the new bender.
    Took the trans pan off and put a new filter and the deep alum pan on. pan was pretty clean with only a little stuff in the filter. got it painted up and ready to go back on the engine once i get the converter on . Will take a chance on it as is. I have seen a lot worse

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  9. Old28

Old28

Line brackets look real neat & clean, that should make local tech happy.

If that is a true "Mike's Transmission PG" should be a nice unit. Their shop is an hour from were I live. I have been running Mike's PG for 35+ years and have never had a failure. Real nice people to work with.

10. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Oh I hate old stuff sometimes. Was putting the flex plate ont he engine tonight locktight on everyhting snugged the down with the impact the took the torque wrench to them was torquing to 70 lbs and one just kept turning , Crap stripped it , looked at the bolts they dont go in quite all the way through the crank found one in my bolt pile a 1/4 inch longer had about 1/8 of good thread to catch lubed it up with locktite and tried to get some torque on it got about 30 lbs but dare to go no more.
    its got 6 bolts on the crank but think may have to get that one tapped damm. sometimes i think fine thread bolts seem to stip easier than the coarse

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  11. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

well helicoil and a bunch of red locktite to the rescue worked great , got the engine in this morning for the last time trans lines hooked up started work on the homemade midplate braces very simple they will work fine . got my 1 wire alternator and found that it and the alt mount are not friends about a 1/4 out. may just cut the alt back as opposed to building a new bracket as the existing is so nice and clean. my nice brass wingnuts for the sidepanels showed up will look pretty good
    All my friends on the wall that watch and supervise my work. they dont talk much which is good:D.

Attached Files:

12. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

more progress intake and exhaust on plus fuel lines all mounted got from fuel tank to near carb with only 2 inches of fuel line. Need to get the carb on now as i may need a different fuel log for it as the low profile one i have isnt going to cut it.

Attached Files:

13. It's looking really good, nice job. I like the tower you built for the radiator.
    I really like the improvements you've made and I'm sure the car will be easier to run, and quicker.

Skip Pipes

14. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Thanks Skip,I am trying to get things done in a nice mechanical looking manner. how are things with you , winter is coming fast here pretty soon the snow will fly. got a holley 4 barrel double pumper this weekend price was right 50.00 will give it a soak and rebuild. its old but is functional and all there. should work fine for what i need it for.

15. Old28

Old28

Ya Al, have not heard anything from you about the car for a week or so, any new stuff? Are you able to work in your shop during winter? I had a wood burning stove in my shop in WA, just took the chill off so I could work during the day. Give us a heads up. Tom

16. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

havent done too much recently, getting some things put away cleaned up before the snow comes for good. hunting season is also here so Went out with my primitive weapon on Sunday to see what i could see. No venison in the deepfreeze yet .
    I got a oil furnace in the shop for the nice days.
    got some more parts this week so may do some more this weekend.

17. Old28

Old28

Al, good to hear from you. Winter is already moving in for you guys I am sure. Talked to my four grandkids in MI that are playing football and all they kept saying was how cold & windy it was already. I know you have to get everything ready as it is to late after it hits.

I had a good size shop when I lived in WA state (2000-2008) and the winters only get down to 28-30, that's like spring for you I am sure. My wood stove could get the inside up to mid 40's so with a jacket & some gloves you were able to do a little work during the day and get out of the house.

We are enjoying your build & pictures.

18. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Made some progress, got the emgine wiring done and a few things buttoned up going to start to tackle the interior wiring. my valve cover turned out pretty good . Got a 6 fuse panel for under the cowl will tacke that next

Attached Files:

19. Old28

Old28

AL, looks real nice, I really like that motor set out a few inches so you can get to bolts a lot easier. Makes for a little more leg room also. I used the same 6 fuse unit and it worked out well. Is winter got a hold on you guys yet?

20. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

The snowhas been skirting around here right now just cool and cloudy but it will come. Ordered a set of tires from towel city 29 inch white wall piecrust slicks. price wasnt as bad as i thought they would be.
    I want the car to still be in the HAGR theme or as close as i can.

21. Old28

Old28

Al, as a HAMBster style car you are almost full on SDRA ride. Only the distributor and the slicks are outside the rules for our class. You don't have another car up your way so it don't really matter.:D

With that said, I love the white wall slicks from Towel City and think they will look great on your car. I may get a set later to run on my car for ANRA Sunday Eliminations (bracket, paired on reaction time). You are going to need that tire with the big boy 300"+ Chevy.;)

Talked to my oldest grandson (High School Junior) in Fenton, MI and they played there second State Playoff game Friday. Temp at 7pm kickoff was 29 deg with a 20mph wind that made it feel like 20 deg. They are young and love it.:rolleyes:

22. Old28

Old28

Al -- Any work on the car? I'm sure the snow is getting a little deep and that shop a little cooler, but we got to keep track on the build.:D;)

23. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Nothing going on right now, busy with work,ordered a mini starter for it the other day. Deer hunting season is over and i got the shop cleaned up from that.
    Your right its cold and dark here right now, longest night is tomorrow already.
    may do some work over the break. Ice fishing season is coming though ;)
    Everyone have a safe and happy holiday

24. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Worked on the car today we had a quick heat wave today up to 32 f
    Had to cut off my shifter mount off and have to move it up and right against the upper rail . I dont have much room inside the car and since my bike accident I seem to have a lot less shoulder mobility to squeeze in and out of the cage. am going to move my switch panel also to give me more room yet.
    I have to figure out a neutral park starter curcit for the shifter yet.

25. Old28

Old28

Glad you had a chance to work on the car. 32 degree heat wave, you are having a tough winter so far.

The shape and placement of your cage looks to be a little tight and with your injury I'm sure it is hard getting in & out of. Maybe when you get ever thing moved it will help. Keep at it, I know you will figure it out.;)

26. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Am fighting with my shops furnace too, it has started to smoke up the shop and i cant find the cause., had it apart once and could not find anything. scrounged up another old fuel oil furnace this week will have to check it out and get it working
    My starter finally showed up today:D

27. Old28

Old28

I'd say get the furness working first and then work on the car. Not going to get much done in a 32 & below shop.;)

When I was living in WA State I had my wood burning stove going on most every day through the winter, the pole barn shop I had was not insulated and running the stove got temp up where you could get some work done.

28. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Got a little work done this weekend, finally got heat in the shop:) Scrounged another furnace and it works good price was right,free.
    tore the old one apart never did find the problem.
    got rad hoses and plug wires on the engine wires look a little snakey, have some loom ideas in mind.
    also screened the front trans cooler fan, have seen a few of those get wrecked from a pebble being thrown up and falling in the blades ruining them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  29. Old28

Old28

Looks real fine Al, are you going to be able to test & run this spring? :D

Really looking forward to seeing what that big motor puts out, I know Skip is too.:confused:

Got to be hard working in shop with the weather you have been having. Glad to see you got a little more done.;)

30. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Hellor high water I want to be in it at our 1st race. I havent taken any time off in the last year and once it eventually warms up here i am taking some time and am going to make a serious push on the car.
    Question out there to the guys running auto trans what shifters are you running??, I am looking at maybe upgrading to a new shifter but need one that would be a one hand operation and rear cable as i want to mount it on the ride side and run the cable behind the seat around to the tranny.