Register now to get rid of these ads!

School me on Doug Nash/Richmond 5 speed trannies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Graham M, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

Hey guys, just looking at a finished older hot rod that has a Doug Nash/Richmond 5 speed manual transmission.
    I thought I'd ask here since I've never once heard of that before. Does anybody have any info? any problems at all with them? or whats typically their max in terms of handling HP/TQ.

Thanks a ton for reading this and offering any help you can. Seems like a great car, but that tranny is quite the wild card so to speak.

It has a Hurst shifter as well, so not too sure how it affects it. The car is so far away I cant take a closer look until I get there, so just hoping to get your guys' opinion before I fly down.

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

If it is a Doug Nash 5spd they got a little sloppy with the quality towards the end...Richmond is ok as far as I know, look up richmonds site and get the torque ratings..

3. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

Last I knew......Rated for 450 TQ

Elwood

4. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

^ Thank you, very good to know. Any issues at all to worry about? or are they pretty good trannies?

Apparently its after they were bought out. There is no specs for the street 5 speed on their website.
    Only the 5 speed super street which can handle 600ft/pounds of tq.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

it's been awhile since I've messed with one, but the deal on those was that they were set up as a "European" type trans. Now, by that I don't mean weak and goofy, I mean instead of how we here typically set up a five speed, this is different. Most 5 speeds today use four gears cluster, spaced as a typical four speed would be, then a seperate pair for the over drive function. The Nash used a five gear cluster starting with a super deep first gear (high threes, I believe maybe low fours) with all being reasonably closely space up to 5, which was one to one instead of over drive. This let the user keep a high gear ratio (say 2.79) and still have the benifits of having road gears. Mercedes and BMW have set their cars up like this for years. The thought was that the over drive was the weak link in the trans, get rid of it. Even my TKO 600 suggests that you down shift to fourth to accelerate, and back to 5th for cruise.

6. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I have had a Richmond 5 speed in my race car for several years. No problems.
    I use a Long shifter. I know people that had Hurst shifters on them and they changed to Long's almost immediately.

7. Goatdave

Goatdave

Yep what Need Louvres said. I have the Richmond 5 speed in my 55 behind a 502 bbc (450hp). 2 something rear end gear. Lots of fun, torque all day and no troubles. Little rough on long highway drives without the overdrive but fun as hell stop light to stop light. Seems strong. I have a hurst shifter that works well.

Richmond is not a cheap tranny either.

8. Fogger

Fogger

I have a Richmond 5 speed in a '32 Brookville with a 425 hp small block and a 2.75 9" rear axle. It's a great combination. 3.26 first gear and 1 to 1 5th. As I recall the Richmond is the same overall length as a Muncie.

9. SOLO

SOLO

Using one of these trans in my 31 Model A with Pontiac power!

10. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

they ain't worth A Cr u d
    i'll be right over to take the POS off of your hands
    shifter and all
    na... they GTG...
    before we went completely over to Lenco's we used em
    behind some 650HP SBC's

:cool:

11. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

It was based on the old Doug Nash 5 speed. I bought a Richmond 6 speed that came with a "Long Shifter". With the 3:27 first gear and a .76 over drive, I felt it was the best of both worlds. However, it wasn't the easiest thing to "power shift" and I had to down shift when coming to a stop. If I didn't, it was almost impossible to get into first gear from a stop. I knew 2 people that used them in high horsepower, drag racing type applications. Both had spare trannies because they would blow 3rd gear. I heard the "cure" was having "Liberty" rebuild them but at $2600 new, I figured I would forgo "power shifting". BTW, my car was a '65 Chevy Biscayne running a .60 over 454, Merlin Heads, Comp Cams and dual quads.
    DSC00043.jpg DSC00042.jpg
    DSC00039.jpg

12. Any more info or resources? I have a line on one for the Bonneville car and am trying to edumacate myself.

13. mopacltd

mopacltd

I need some parts for my Doug Nash. Haven't torn it down yet, but I believe the 3/4 shift fork has broken. Anyone help with locating parts once I get it torn down.

14. els

els

I did put a Doug Nash 5 speed in my 62 corvette. I did put different gears in it and changed the ratio. but it is cool, Light weight, easy to remove and install. If you get the 4+1 transmission it is better for the street. The magnesium Doug Nash is a real 5 speed with 1to1 in 5th gear, the aluminum Doug Nash is an overdrive transmission, hence 4+1. It works great on the street. I found parts from Richmond gear. IMG_5377.jpg

Rick Davis likes this.