Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Kids...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 26, 2011.

1. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

Man ...what a great shot !

2. redeyewelder

redeyewelder
    from ten

AMEN!!!!!! you took the words right out of my mouth...respect is what its all about...the older guys should encourage and guide the younger guys..why the hel do you think they got on this site????..

not bash them and make them feel stupid!!!! they look up to yall ,,,emulation is the highest form of flattery...

old age doesnt equal instant respect from everyone, nor give you the right to disrespect anyone...it should be given as it is earned....in sayn that my momma taught me to respect my elders even when they disrespect...

an in some famous words(cant we all just get along)lol

3. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

HRM gave some tips on hot rod fashion.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
    dana barlow likes this.
  4. Larry T

Larry T

Just a thought on the respect old/young deal. It's real easy to get pretty cynical when you read "crusty old f***ers" and how do I screw the old guy out of his...... posts.

I'm pretty much a mirror image of who ever I'm talking too. If someone (young or old) is serious about what he's doing, I'll do what ever I can to help him. If he's trying to build his "cred" or rebeling against the older generation, he's gonna find out how big of an asshole you can be with 60's years of training.

Well, even though hot rodding is a young guy deal, I guess I'll go tinker with the 55 for a while.
    Larry T

Special Ed likes this.
  5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Funny pix!! But I remember those days as well, the Dobie Gillis look? College boys? Hair goo, cardigan sweaters, turtle necks, high water pants with skinny legs, super skinny belts (weren't those a hoot) and ties, white socks. You could nerd it up with a pocket protector, too. Thankfully, the hippies came along. Gary

dana barlow likes this.
  6. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

If you want to see what real hot rodding was like get a copy of the book " Cool Cars, Square Roll Bars", by Shuman.

7. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Holy Shit! One of the best written articles I've ever read in my life!

8. 36C8

36C8

I think it's the big black army boots that you see the greaser crowd wearing more often than not, instead of the loafers or wingtips, that gets me. When you look through the vintage shots, they're rarely wearing anything like the big boots, even on the Bonneville Flats!

9. I just found this entry... and I have the perfect picture to go with it... my late friend Don Steuernagel and 2 friends... about 2006. Don used to wear a Uncle Sam hat with rod run pins all over it.

Attached Files:

• Don1.jpg
      Don1.jpg
      File size:
      51.9 KB
      Views:
    dana barlow likes this.
  10. Ryan, I always enjoy reading your blog updates. You find way cool stuff, whether retro or current, and share it with the masses. But this blog, I loved in particular. Thanks for sharing this with us. I also enjoyed your 'day dreaming' of who the four kids are.

11. striper

striper

Looks like the running boards on A coupes have gotten a bit shorter over the years

35cab likes this.
  12. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

A great read that some of us "newbs" missed the first time around.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

They did. In spades. But they werent "HAMBers" there was no such place as the HAMB, or the internet. They were just the "older guys" and we listened to them when they chewed our asses out, because they'd been there, done that.

I have related this conversation between me and my mentor here before, took place around 1980. By that time, I had something of a local rep, and had built more than a few motors that had won more than thier share on the street, I'm relating it here as it happened...

Young, mouthy know-it-all me: "Bob, I'm building this 302 ford, I'm thinking of reversing the pistons on the pins, to see if it'll pick up any power. I've done it on a few Mopars, seems to help, what do you think?"

My Mentor: "So you are putting this pile of shit together? Cant see how it would hurt, if you are building it, it'll probably blow up anyway..."

True story.

dana barlow likes this.
  14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Dead on the money, 110%, couldn't have said it any better myself. Ask a serious, sensible, well thought out question, you will get a serious, sensible, well thought out response. Age doesnt enter into it one way or the other.

dana barlow likes this.
  15. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

16. trollst

trollst

Also an old guy here, I can relate, for me it wasn't rolled up jeans, it was Harley Davidsons and generally trouble, I get roasted over my handle here on the hamb, but its part of me. The good old days were a different time, gay meant happy, now it means something to be proud of....I'm the troll because it was a different time, and I earned the name, given to me out of respect, I was mean as they come, rode hard and lived fast. But, I learned stuff, things I don't do now, but amongst those who matter, I'm still the troll, a mark of respect still.
    I love the young crowd, I go out of my way to teach what I know and help the younger guys do car stuff, I will give up parts to those I can help, open my shop to those that need instruction and guidance, even to the very young, as long as they don't tell their moms what hangs on my shop walls.
    I don't wish to recreate that time, this is the best time of my life, the best time of hot rodding, welders and tools are better than ever, car parts are more readily available, its cheaper to build a car than ever before.
    It was good times though, brings back memories.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Classic, absolutely classic...

dana barlow likes this.
  18. I have to grow up?

dana barlow likes this.
  19. The pic' is it ! Coulda' written near anything, without a peep from me. Awesome bump !

20. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Loved this thread the 1st time around,thanks Ryan. The HAMB is ageless...think thats one of the main things I like here. I've had this clipping in my desk at work for over 30 years "You are as young as your faith,as old as your doubts,as young as your self-confidence. As old as your fears; as young as your hope; as old as your despair. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul." Attributed to 19th century scholar Samuel Ullman. Have fun...Haul ass!!

21. I used to be young and dumb, now I'm just.........well, old and dumb.:(

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  22. Coast Classics

Coast Classics
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Estepona

very cool story!!!

23. jnaki

jnaki

I don’t ever want to grow up fellas…

"You are as young as your faith,as old as your doubts,as young as your self-confidence. As old as your fears; as young as your hope; as old as your despair. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul."
    Attributed to 19th century scholar Samuel Ullman.

Youth
    by Samuel Ullman

“Youth is not a time of life; it is a state of mind; it is not a matter of rosy cheeks, red lips and supple knees; it is a matter of the will, a quality of the imagination, a vigor of the emotions; it is the freshness of the deep springs of life.

Youth means a temperamental predominance of courage over timidity of the appetite, for adventure over the love of ease. This often exists in a man of sixty more than a boy of twenty. Nobody grows old merely by a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals.

Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul. Worry, fear, self-distrust bows the heart and turns the spirit back to dust.

Whether sixty or sixteen, there is in every human being’s heart the lure of wonder, the unfailing child-like appetite of what’s next, and the joy of the game of living. In the center of your heart and my heart there is a wireless station; so long as it receives messages of beauty, hope, cheer, courage and power from men and from the Infinite, so long are you young.

When the aerials are down, and your spirit is covered with snows of cynicism and the ice of pessimism, then you are grown old, even at twenty, but as long as your aerials are up, to catch the waves of optimism, there is hope you may die young at eighty.”

Hello,

This was a great story and hot rod culture photo. (flat tops, pomade slicked sides, baseball styled car jackets, etc. those were the fun times…) With that lead in, what are we waiting for? Youth is a state of mind for all of us. When we were teenagers, we all said we would be over the hill at age thirty…Remember: “Don’t trust anyone over 30” motto? As twenty somethings, it was the time of our lives, exploring, being physically sound and healthy, etc. Approaching 30, that old saying (don't trust...) got thrown out of the window. We were still very active and the aches did not last too long, even with a new kid running around the house.

At 40 and 50, those were society’s milestones…black balloons and napkins at age 40, etc. But, at age 50, it was our son’s HS graduation and first year in college but, physically, we were very active. The highlight was taking our son to his college dorm room at UCSB. After our son was situated in his new room, as we were walking around to the ground floor, we were asked by some girl, (probably an RA: Resident Assistant) if we needed to find our own dorm room. What? She even asked what number it was and floor number. Wow, being diligent about staying young pays off in spades…

We may be young at heart, but as the years roll by, the aches take just a bit longer to heal and get better. The idea of building hot rods and cruisers has always stayed in our minds. But again, as the years roll by, it gets harder to even think about getting in those under car places or reaching in those hard to get spots for fix its or replacements.

Remembering those memories and countless times under the car on jack stands, on a cold winter night, upside down, filling smelly, Posatraction oil is enough to last many lifetimes. But, as the old saying goes, "Enjoy the ride"... memories last forever!

Jnaki

Finally, the state of mind of “Youth” has stayed with us all of these years and we have not been caught being “old fogeys” as yet. Our granddaughter started the “young” rebellion all over again after she was a toddler and highly active. Today, we have to keep up with the new stuff to go along with her teenage ideas and culture. Who the hell is that popular teenage icon from the You Tube channels? That name just flew over our heads!

But the ideas of old hot rods and cruisers still linger in our minds, even if we are approaching “really old age.” Who would have thought? (from the web: "Funny, I thought growing old would take longer.") Hot rods and custom cars will still be a part of most of us old timers. It was a big part of our teenage years including the flat top hair cuts, pomade, duck tails, and those ever popular Levi brand jeans. But, it was the hot rods themselves that started the movement and carried on throughout high school. Fun times indeed, it is a state of mind.

24. Eight years have past since I posted on the thread and I find myself wondering what became of the young guys since they were forever immortalized in the photo.

Are any of them still living?

Were they involved in sports at the local high school, maybe one was a stand out in track, basketball or football? did they go on to start a car club or become civic leaders in their community?

Judging from the photo, could some of them joined a branch of service and never return home?
    Did any of them keep in touch and did they always enjoy a hot rod or custom in their later years.

It would be a treat to know more about photo's like this. HRP

dana barlow and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  25. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Left to right:
    Kurt, Steve, Milner, Toad!

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  26. X-cpe

X-cpe

How old am I? Old enough to be me.

I taught high school shop for 27 years. They would come in thinking they were the most original and baddest ass thing to come down the pike. How they expressed it may have changed. The reality is the only thing that changed were their names.

Someone above mentioned the closing of auto shop and shop classes in general. Part of it started in the 80's with computers in the cars. A trip to the speed shop bought them a chip to make horsepower and they could fill the back seat and trunk with a stereo with out us. The other factor was cost. One teacher per 45-60 students a day and thousands and thousands of dollars of equipment vs. one academic teacher per 150 students per day and a set of text books.

Ron Funkhouser and jnaki like this.
  27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Experience and wisdom of age
    Mixed with hope and exuberance of youth
    Seasoned with mutual respect
    A satisfying and fulfilling recipe
    For potluck fare to be enjoyed by all

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  28. Thanks for bringing back up this cool old thread. My old Hot Rod will never grow old! It's like a time machine. It still burns rubber, and makes me fill like a teenager every time I drive it. I liked it when the young people, and rockabilly bands started up a few years ago. Also the young kids started enjoying old school Hot Rods again. Shows like the Road Agents, were a lot of fun to attend. The music was cool, and the Rods were a lot more to my liking, then the street rods had been. I know some have got carried away with all the rr stuff. But Hot Rods are ageless! I may have to grow old. But I don't have to grow up! The way I know that I am getting old Is. When the officer only gives me a warning, and then calls me Mister Funkhouser!:eek: Then he the tells me to have a good day.:rolleyes: lol Ron... 065.jpg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  29. These days I can't remember shit. What I do remember is working on a 53 Chevy in my parents driveway, in the Winter, in Connecticut. My best friend Dennis helping me change that torque tube transmission. Neither of us had a clue, but we did it. I am still in CT., Dennis lives in the Detroit area and we talk every Christmas and reminisce.
    I remember all the hot rod building and engine swaps. I remember the girls, the good teachers, the bad kids and the good kids. I still drive and build hot rods. Yes I need to look at my notes sometimes to see where some things go. But I do think it was the best of times. Yes, now I pee more than I care to mention, and have more doctors appointments than orgasms. All in all it has been a good life, and I am ready when the time comes. So I do remember all the good things from my past. The new things not so much. I guess it is like an old Craftsman drill that I still have and works perfectly, next to the new one that broke after a year. I'll keep living in the past, at least when it comes to Hot Rods!

Ron Funkhouser and dana barlow like this.
  30. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

When I see a kid now days that's into cars,I get a smile both inside an out. Having been around myself from 1942,perspective being more then some. I do if they look like they would take advice on how things really were ,vs how some stuff now is misunderstood,try to fill in as needed.. Still love that they are showing respect of what was done. Keeping in mind they are also doing it there way.
    We had by todays standards,almost no EZ way photos. But a few that tell a story,have made it all this way in time. Early 60s my custom got the bathroom tissue decore,by my grilfreind who did not get to go on a date,I had a flat an no spair. Henry J top up.jpg

Attached Files:

bowie, Ron Funkhouser and robber like this.