Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bought 40 Ford cpe w/Desoto hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I couldn't resist buying this car. Thanks to help from this site, I now know it has a 1955 Desoto Firedome 291 ci engine with 185 HP. Started today easily and steady at 50 lbs oil pressure but I'm sure it will drop after warming up. It was done long ago and is a tight fit. I was asked to post pics regarding the fit so y'all can see the tolerances. Everything clears but not by much in some places. As for the future, I'm pretty confident I'll have to upgrade from the present 1 gal gas tank that's visible on the passenger side under the dash. It has 39 Ford trans and 4.11 40 rearend.

Another "opportunity!"

Enjoy, Al

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. dr_claw

dr_claw
    from Van City

Looks great!

I much prefer the standard grille as apposed to the deluxe.

Does it have the opera seats?

3. shoebox50

shoebox50

4. That's gonna make a real nice car. Keep us posted on your progress.

5. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

No singing area in this car. Just the stock front seat with package tray behind it.

6. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Can't fault you for buying that! Kind of crude but I love it!
    Did you get a real steal of a deal on it?
    Whatever...it's C@@Ler than a Foose-Mobile to me.

7. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I thought the deal was great.. just like everyone else on here feels when they first buy a new project! Time will tell but I'm quite happy. It was great dealing with an honest and helpful fellow. Another guy told me he knew of the car's earlier owners and would try to get some history on it but he's pretty sure a friend's Dad, now deceased, did the initial installation. I hope to learn his name so we can give credit where credit is due. One gallon gas tank w/411 gears should be good for maybe two trips around the block!

8. 42 chevy

42 chevy

I like it but it needs an SBC. Just kidding, that car is perfect! I love the older hotrod conversions like yours, it has history.

9. 42 chevy

42 chevy

I like it but it needs an SBC. Just kidding, that car is perfect! I love the older hotrod conversions like yours, it has history.

10. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Another toy for Al have fun buddy. I'm jealous on this one.

11. Liking it a lot..very envious.

12. Very cool! what are your plans?

13. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I think the car could be from Chester, PA area. The drip rails are gone on passenger side and not much better on driver side. What do you know of the car?

I looked at trans and car was definitely a warrior at one time as the top of the trans looks to have been welded back on. Must have done good job as car seems to shift ok but haven't really been through the gears.

14. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

It looks a lot like the 40 a guy I met back in the 70,s in Middleton Ky. was building did it come from Ky. he died and the cars gone now.

15. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

Sweet ride... and only gonna get sweeter, I'll bet!

16. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

thats a great buy!! my pop use to tell me he would just pull the front clip off when he used to work on his 40 tudor that had a hemi, little more room to work!

17. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Lots of possibilities---love the standards.

18. sololobo

sololobo

I dig it, and I also love both the Deluxe and the seldom seen Standard. Seperates it from the masses. Nice find bro, a bigger relocated gas tank is surely in order. Enjoy this historical dandy, thanx for sharing with us. ~Sololobo~

19. Labold

Labold

Looks great. Nice find!

20. RGG

RGG

I would love to have it! Great project, I hope you plan on keeping it in the same configuration.

RGG

21. farmer12

farmer12

Congrats on the car, great find! Gotta love them Hemi's, watching this one for sure.

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Nice find!!! I bet that thing will scoot!!!

23. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Hey wait a minute! the trans top had been welded on? It may have been one of those modified Cad/Lasalle or Buick side shift trans with a ford top adapted to it! They are much stronger than the stock 39 Ford. A Desoto would eat a Ford box by just pushing down the go pedal rolling. If so you have a much better find there, and chance of longer lasting driveline. It seems its a survivor and they are hard to find.

24. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Here are some pics of the trans. The welding is evident. Any guesses on what we have? Tell me what to look for and where and I'll give it a shot. Skidmarks confirms the car is from the Chester, Pa area but thinks the car was originally built by some unknown rodder from the 50s; most likely in PA.
    Thanks again for all help, Al

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  25. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Wow, nice find! Gutted interior and 1 gallon gas tank = drag car. Just maybe somewhere there's vintage photos of the car in action.

26. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

ok, sorry, its not the trans i thought. Its the stock ford, which will work but really not enough for the torq of the Desoto.

27. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Thanks for confirming it to be an old Ford trans. No telling what's in it but it works. I'll have to wait until the car is really somewhat more roadworthy before I can really check the trans and rearend out.
    What trans would you suggest? I'm still pondering the direction to take. The engine stays but want to have higher rear end ratio. Simplest change it to open drive and CE rear suspension kit. I have 57 Ford SW 9in rear that has been sitting and waiting for the right application. Also have a granada rear that seems to work well, too.

28. Steve 38

Steve 38

Wow, I LOVE it! Nice find. Do you know much about its history? How did you come to find it?