Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures 1955: Build A Car in 4 Hours

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

pretty cool, noticed that they painted it right over the fiberglass with no primer. must have looked a little rough in person. Kinda cool that the old ford had a chrome oil filter and headers.

I think 20 percent completion rate on these kits may be optimistic, I wouldnt be surprised if the number was lower.

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Yum, Skippy peanut butter.

4. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Damn...they even took a 45 minute lunch!!! That show was kinda like "Mythbusters" from back in the day!! Wish I could get those guys to come to my garage for 4 hours and I wonder what ever happened to the car?

5. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

The video is awesome!! WOW!! I love how they just throw the old body to the side, just like that....boom done!! HAHAHA!! Hilarious!!

So innocent!!:)

6. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

What kinda paint dries in five minutes? Enamels never stop drying.
    It's a good looking car, I bet it too was scrapped just a few years down the road.

7. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I'm fascinated by kit cars. Right now at Strange Days we're putting the finishing touches on a Factory five cobra. Its a cool car and hauls and handles like nothing I've ever been in. The driver of the truck delivereing it said "Finally we're delivering one of these to someone who isn't a fucking dentist "
    Most kit cars were downright homely and ill fitting, but there were exceptions. (some have been covered here)
    Its an interesting chapter in rodding histoy, and the folks that put forth these kits must have had huge huevos. Thanks for the post Ryan.

8. fms427

fms427

WOW - I feel really incompetent !!:eek: I'm currently building a Wildfire from a body I got from Geoff and an original chassis I got from HRHD. I've ALREADY spent more than 4 days...... My car will be nailhead powered, and be done in the style of the "Johnny Dark" race car. We'll post progress occasionally as we go !

Attached Files:

9. sololobo

sololobo

Killer video, yeah others scoped out the things I noticed such as the headers and the cool chrome oil filter. And that nice 41 body slammed down like it was just junk! A program that has a distinct tone of those days, how about that big ass camera that does "time-lapse vids!! Cool!! ~Sololobo~

10. drfreeze

drfreeze

did you see any wiring? I think they should have used a bigger engine hoist !

11. HHAHhaaa, they included a 45 minute lunch!!

I just picked up a 47 ford tudor sedan maybe I will make it into a "Honey" of a sports car!! ;)

12. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Yeah that thing was huge. And with it being a glass car it needed extra wiring, I suppose you only need a hot wire to the ignition and starter to drive it though.

13. that was a cool video,,amazing feat without any big shop or fancy equipment how fast it came together out in the parking lot. :) HRP

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  14. 36C8

36C8

Maybe I can hire them for an afternoon and get mine all finished...

15. A Little Odd

A Little Odd

Puts those whiners on Overhaulin to shame.

Cigs dangling outta mouths. Don't see that anymore. I still don't get how them boys keep from getting their white shirts dirty :eek:

16. Cool Video!

At the beginning of the video they show a 47 Tudor, but the car they tore apart was a 41 Fordor. Weird.

And they gave Fort Worth a shout out!

17. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

Notice the HAND SIGNAL when he pulled out????

Greatness....

18. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

How long did it take to build say a 55 chevy on the assembly lines ?

19. twofosho

twofosho

Anybody remember (in the late 50's I think) when You Asked For It or one of those TV shows gave a brand new totally disassembled Plymouth to two high school kids if they could reassemble it within a certain length of time (a week if I remember right)?

20. burbanite

burbanite

If you like time lapse videos of car builds this one might interest you. Unfortunately it is off topic but as Ryan is a race fan I'll try to sneak it in :).

This was us at Road Atlanta this year, just like the one above, the small breaks are for lunch and dinner, no sound though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzKfCIY_zfg

Here's why we are up to our necks...

This one buffers too much but click on the ALMS crash link to the right of it and it will play normally. Sound on this one.

http://www.speedtv.com/video/popup/?bcpid=1797019236&bclid=595226652&bctid=42081268001

21. One of my favorite shows as a kid always cool stuff like this...:cool:
    lets see total time less then 4 hrs.. and a 45 minute break in the middle.. must be a Union job...just kidding union guys:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Still a great video..

22. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

WOW! wotta wierd flashbak for me. we used to watch Art baker on "you asked for it". To see it on again in stark blackn' white TV and also a "Woodill Wildfire" build wotta trip!. One of the kids Dad, in hi skool had one with a KaiserFraser motor [I think], or some smaller brand of car.

23. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

cudnt be a union job, too long for lunch and no 10 min. breaks.

[from my recall]

24. S1B

S1B

Was probally a Kaiser Darrin.

25. MBL

MBL

A little different than the one we put together at your house huh Geoff. :)
    Tim
    MBL

26. G. Hacker

G. Hacker

Hi Gang...

Glad you enjoyed the video. I just sent Ryan another link to a British car built in the late 1950's. It's from the same era and makes the impossible look like a piece of cake.

Tim Masters (MBL above..) and I put together one - that had been apart for many years. I think just the suspension was 4-8 hours....not exactly what the video promises...

Quite the video....glad everyone enjoyed it...

Geoff

27. I wonder how many hours went into prepping the sedan for the tear down? No bolts in the hood hinges and everything else seemed to be 'way more than ready to come apart. Neat just the same.

28. woodbox

woodbox

I didnt see any floors or even a firewall going in before the body on, and why fit the windscreen and then proceed to mask it up to paint!? put it on after the miracle fast dry paint, the guy was still painting the trunk while they were fitting the lights. The miracles of television eh?
    Great vid Ryan, Thanks.

29. Al Von

Al Von

Thats the same thing I was thinking! Everybody in cuffed jeans, white T-shirts and cigars. Oh, the good 'ol days.

If I could get those guys over, I'd be driving my shoebox tonight! And get my house reroofed...

30. He did refer to it as a "worthless old body".

This posting should now lead to many Kit Car barn finds.