Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Hydraulics vs. airbags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nefarious Art, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Nefarious Art

Nefarious Art
    from Auburn, Ca

Whatup? Any opinions? pros? cons?

2. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

the both have there pro's and con's, in my opinion, hydro's with all the accumulators and chargers they are better in my opinion, but air ride is simpler to install. if you get it right they both ride good ,but if you get it wrong then they both suck.............oh ya, many batteries and oil = fire, another consideration.

3. lowmater_tn

lowmater_tn

AIR RIDE - rides on a cloud of air
    less room lost to components
    almost no maintenance once installed correctly
    limited hopping unless dbl ported and big valves/line
    if running scuba/bottle only, heavy switch finger = $$$$ refills

HYDROZ - coils provide jittry, ride less give
    batteries/pumps take lots of room
    daily charging batteries gets old sometimes
    maintenance of inner seals sometimes a pain in the ass
    prone to electrical sparkage/fires with heavy hitting
    always good for hopping
    very quiet and good for sneak attack switch hitting/dragging

both have pros and cons, hydroz have been around alot longer, but bags have progressed by "leaps and bounds" LITERALLY!!!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

4. Nefarious Art

Nefarious Art
    from Auburn, Ca

thanks all. just getting some ideas. still not sure whether i want anything adjustable or if i should just lower it. I'm not interested in hopping just want to have the option of slamming it at will.

5. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

I love hydraulics. I think they are cool...and definately the more "traditional" set up. With that said, airride has many more benefits. One of the major benefits is the maintenance and the amount of space required.

if you just want up and down i would go air. less space, less work, and alot more resources for info/research.

6. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

busted line with air= air all over your car
    busted line with hydros= hydraulic fluid on your car

both can hop..air just takes alot more..I dont really care for hydros but they can be cool for 3 wheelin and hoppin up crensaw blvd

7. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Wow

8. my47soto

my47soto

LMAO, he is so freakin correct

9. ryno

ryno

what kind of car you talking about?
    if set up right, hydros will ride way better then air bags.
    before all the anti-hydro police show up here, which are about worse then the air bag police, i have both set ups and have build all kinds of cars/trucks with both.

10. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I LOVE YOU MAN. I,ve run bolth, and I am still a hydro Dude.

11. Cshabang

Cshabang

i had a non hamb daily driver with juice...it was a light car originally set to hop with 1.5 ton springs in each corner....with accumulators it rode decent (like i said, it was set up to hop originally)..Im still a hydros guy. Its all in maintanance with hydros....well anything i guess.one other pro i didnt see yet is height...a cylinder even on top of an axle with lift higher than a bag of similar setting

12. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

neither drop it with notches and coils being cut

13. Cshabang

Cshabang

been there a bunch of times...haha i got tired of bottoming out on everything....yet i use to drag that daily every chance i could...weird-good thing it was a disposable car...haha

14. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

That how I run , on the deck. I only lift it to clear obstacles. Then its back to the ground. well not this far

Attached Files:

15. NIGHT-CRAWER

NIGHT-CRAWER

Bags,bags,bags, go with bags...vicks

Attached Files:

• 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      445.2 KB
      Views:
  16. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

You opened up a can of worms w/this.Going to get more opinions than you can count. Both do have pros and cons that is for sure.

I did my 1'st bag job in 94, but before that I did alot of juice stuff, and you can make juice cars ride better than bags w/no problems. Most juice guys just don't take the time or know what the hell they are doing when it comes to ride quality, (And that can be said for alot of bagged rides as well). Most juice guys just want to hop or "3 wheel". Both of those are like a jerk off contest...something I just don't care about, and never want to see.

Seen more junk air ride stuff than junk juice stuff to be honest. Then again I'm a picky sum a bitch when it comes to adjustable suspension.

You can do some really cool stuff w/either it just depends on how you set it up.

17. Well you said yourself you don't really want to hop. If you just want to cruise around with a low car go with bags. And yes bags do ride nicer in most of the time.

18. lowmater_tn

lowmater_tn

do a nice cantilever setup or bag on bar setup and your ride quality will be awesome bag on bar is rougher but can be smooth with the right attention...been baggin and juicing rides for 10yrs in my opinion bags are nicer cleaner smoother

19. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

If ride quality is all your after, besides being able to slam it, bags are the cheaper of the two wit the least amount of maintenance. Just remember if you want to drag, you have to set up the system so the bag still has some air in it when dragging. Letting bags ride on the bump stops will cost you a lot in bag replacements!

20. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I have had several rides with juice and a few with bags. They both have their advantages. If good parts are used and set up properly, either work very well and will need next to no maintenance.

21. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

I can't say anything for Hydro as I have never built or used them. Bags are light and clean. I know you said no hopping is in the plan, however... Depending on the lines and valves etc... you can set up a can on Nos inline and since the NOS expands faster than the air it will make it pop up faster. But- depending on the size of line, valves, and weight of car... the difference between a just faster raise or some hop. So far I have only hooked up the nos addition to a scuba tank setup- but in theory it should work fine with a compressor setup as well- if done correctly. I am a scuba diver so I used to get the tanks filled for free at a local dive shop. Then the guy closed his shop and retired and he offered me the compressor- just stopped doing tank setups so he sold it... stupid on my part. Keep kicking myself for that one.

22. lowmater_tn

lowmater_tn

you can hop with either but bags are cleaner less space less maintaince

23. lowburban

lowburban

Check these guys out for Hydro's. Can answer lots of questions and build very high quality stuff made to ride nice and be maintenance free, not hop your lowlow. yo!!

24. jester5388

jester5388

it pisses me off, i think that each type belongs on certain things, i just always picture hydos on 60's cars and bags on early 50's cars and such. i just think of bill hines and the buddah buggy, classic aircraft hydro setup. and somebody like gambino using airbags. i personally like hydros but thats just me. they feel more traditional.