Register now to get rid of these ads!

429 engine swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DADDYJER 66, Apr 24, 2009.

1. DADDYJER 66

DADDYJER 66
    from TEXAS

Does any one have any info. on a 429 engine swap in a 56 ford customline? what if any aftermarket headers or custom fab. motor mounts. my car had a 6 cylinder engine with a 3 speed tranny. plan on installing 429/c6 with a 9 inch from a donor car. will i have to change my front springs? and or A arms? thanks, daddyj

2. We put a 460 with a c6 in my dads 55 victoria. We used stock manifolds and made our own motor mounts. It has all the stock suspension but I believe it was a v8 car with a 292 to begin with. It holds up pretty good because he has been running it for about 18 years now and hasn't broke anything yet.

3. dbradley

dbradley

A 272/292 is listed at 625lbs. A 429/460 is listed at 720lbs. I don't know about the transmission differences (early auto to C6) but I think they'd be pretty close. The A-arms should be fine. You may have to use station wagon springs but I'd look it over first. You're only looking at 50lbs or so per side.

Might just pile a couple of bags of cement or something on the front end BEFORE you start and see how it sits, and how stuff clears underneath.

4. Try googling Crites. They have a lot of Ford swap stuff, engine mounts, crossmembers, headers, etc.

5. rustrustler

rustrustler

I don't want to hi-jack your thread but I was wondering what overdrive automatic bolts up to the 429? Any guesses? Thanks, Mike.

6. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

the only overdrive auto that Ford bolted up to a 460 (same as 429) was an E40D, which is, frankly, a HUGE transmission to wrangle into your car, not to mention that it requires some kind of stand-alone electronics to operate the shift solenoids. a non-electronic AOD could be built to hold up under the strain of a 429/460 and J.W. makes an UltraBell to adapt it to the 429/460 pattern, part #92454-AOD

7. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Crites has a kit:

1955 - 56 FORD
    460 motor conversion mount kit w c6 crossmember/insulator - $245

They also have headers and radiator for the swap.

8. Ole don

Ole don

The 54 - 55 - 56 front end is a great front suspension. Rebuild it stock and use Granada spindles and 11 inch disc brakes.

9. 58custom

58custom

Here is the link to the Crites page with the kit for you:
    http://tiptopwebsite.com/websites/index2.php?username=colson43&page=4

I used Crites mount kit & headers to put a 460 into my 58 and was very satisfied with the parts.

Be careful with the engine weight estimates found at the usual online locations. My 460/C6 is not much heavier than the 352/cast iron Fordomatic it replaced. I have transcribed actual Ford factory weight data from factory paperwork into an online spreadsheet.

http://58custom.wave.prohosting.com/

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  10. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

From some random website:

C6 (without converter or fluid) - 140 lbs + C6 torque converter - 31 lbs, total 171 lbs.

Ford-o-Matic (pre-FMX), cast iron case - 228 lbs (I don't know if this includes fluid and TQ or not)

11. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  12. Knoxville

Knoxville

I'm doing the same swap in my '55 Fairlane. Just got done dropping the motor/trans in.
    I bought the Crites mount conversion, works good. You have to cut out your old "X member", mine was a v8 car, so a 6 cyl car may not have the same crossmember setup. It all fits good. The only drawbacks are the lack of clearance to the firewall when dropping the motor in/out, you have to go floorshift, and how close the exhaust will be to the gearbox.

I also bought their radiator and rad. brackets. The radiator's the same size as the stock one, but is aluminum and has a pretty thick core....hopefully it'll be enough to cool that motor with an A/C system.
    DON"T bother with their rad. brackets, they didn't make em right, and even if they had, the fan would be WAY too close to the pulleys and the radiator. I'm making my own, very easy to do on these front ends.

I'm still waitin on the headers, they're backordered til next month when i talked to them last week.

I've got pictures and other info if anyone needs it.

13. DADDYJER 66

DADDYJER 66
    from TEXAS

Post the pics. if you dont mind thanks!

14. DADDYJER 66

DADDYJER 66
    from TEXAS

THANKS GUY's for the info. this will help a bunch!

15. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

please you guys lots of pictures. am putting 429 in my 56 mainline. thanks in advance.

what oil pan do you run.....

16. sambo

sambo

I used a 4x4 oil pan on my 460 for my 49 F1.Ford dealers sell them new,good luck finding a used one.I run Sanderson headers , & I made the motor mts.

17. psychobilly57

psychobilly57

I'm thinking about doing a 429/C6 swap in my 54 Mainline. Do you think the 55-56 kit wil work? My car has a 53 F100 axle and steering box in it. lots of room.

18. MrLube

MrLube
    from Canada

I am currently putting a 460 w/c6 into a 56 Monarch (same as Fords)
    I purchased a set of mounts from Gearheads out of ND http://www.ndgearheadscruiserproducts.com/id26.htm
    was tired of trying to come up with own idea how to set 460 in keeping original steering.
    I tried the truck rear sump pan and it wont work, found a chrome front sump pan for $40. with mounts, fits perfect giving about 3/4 between front x-member and pan.
    I wasn't impressed with customer service from crites. and they said I would have to cut out trans x-member...???
    My frame has a welded trans x-member, why would I CUT it out? Don't need to, a little fab work to existing mount and your set.
    I also found a set of truck headers, but will be cutting and fitting myself.

I am adding the Granada spindles, Aerostar front coils and backing it up with 8.8 3:73 disc brake posi from explorer sport.

my goal is to add a 6spd (T-56) std but at about $4000. it'll have to wait.

I havent got to the Rad yet, still prepping frame for paint.

Well that's my story so far, I would love to hear and see how others are making out with their 429/460 conversion. check out my album for upto date progress.

19. Knoxville

Knoxville

Mine's been done for a few months now. It's a blast. I ended up using stock steering with the crites headers, and the Howe radiator Crites sends you, along with their rad. mount brackets. It all went in, but required a lot of cutting, grinding, and forcing.
    Crites is about the hardest company i've had to deal with....extremely slow, you can't be in a hurry or have any sort of timeline. Unless I absolutely have to, i won't go through them anymore.

20. 58custom

58custom

21. 58custom

58custom

Cool info. I was not aware that the 56 had a welded xmember. The '58 is a bolt-in member. Gonna bookmark that link.

22. luvzccr

luvzccr

i ordered the motor mounts and crossmember for a 460 swap into my 58 fairlane and that was roughly a month ago. i just barley saw i was charged on my credit card on saturday for the amount i purchased it for. but it still hasnt got here yet.

i called them but the lady was extremley rude! does anyone know how long it took after seeing the charge on the credit card that they got their parts? im afraid to call back a 3rd time and ask

23. iamflashman

iamflashman

The 4r70w is a great tranny to use behind a 429/460. They are just suped up AODE's for the most part.

baumann electronics makes a control module for them and there are adaptor plates to bolt it up to 460.