Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Riviera Story

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

Awesome Ryan, THANKS!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. theladylux

theladylux

Cool story, thanks!

4. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

Great story on my favorite car of all time

5. Jay71

Jay71

Amazing how they got from that 55 Rolls Silver Dawn to a Riviera. Cool story, and still one of the smoothest designs ever.

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I am a HUGE Buick fan, and a HUGE Rivi fan, well the 63-65 for sure. And the older ones as well. Most people forget that Buick used the Riviera moniker on the earlier cars as well. Thanks for the insight on the design of these ones though, very cool.

7. repoguy

repoguy

Great story.I've been a huge fan of the 63-65 Rivs (especially the 65) since the first time I saw one.

In my opinion the best looking American car made in the 60's, period.

I love mine. I need to fix it. :(

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I love stories about where the inspiration came from for a particular design. I have never been crazy about Riviera's but they are beautiful. Who would have thought that a Rolls inspired the concept and a Ferrari laid the foundation for what came to be a car that people regard as the best of American Design.

9. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

No kidding, shows what creative minds driven by the devil can create haha

I love Rivi's, I believe they are one of the only "factory customs" ever mad. They just look so sharp when they roll by, like if you get too close you'll get your ankles chopped off.

10. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I fail to see any inspiration between the Rolls and the Riv, but thats OK. I'm sure glad Bill Mitchell saw it, 'cause I always liked those cars.
    Really intriguing history lesson, thanks!

11. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Great story...Thanks Ryan!

12. Thanks Ryan...love those Rivieras...stock, custom, lowrider, you name it I love 'em all

Attached Files:

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I see the Rolls inspiration in the "c pillar" big time... and the Ferrari is obvious to me as well - bumpers, side scoops, a-pillars and glass surround, and overall proportions.

But like we talked about last week - Mitchell wasn't trying to copy a Ferrari/Rolls and merge in a Buick logo... He was just inspired by the little details and built a La Salle/Buick.

14. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel
    from Lavon, Tx

I thought the same thing at first. I started really looking at the Rolls and noticed the front fenders the most. The peak on them and how they curve helped me visualize it "cutting through the fog". Take that visual to the pics of the Rivi and it really popped out to me.

15. Manson

Manson
    from Baden, MD
    1. Maryland HAMBers

I've Always loved the '63-65 Rivieras- I'd say it is one of the best looking cars to ever come out of Detroit. That's some really neat info- I never knew where the inspiration for the design came from but now that it's pointed out you can definitely see the Rolls/Ferrari influences.

16. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Gee, thanks for bringin up painful old memories of the 4 63-65 Rivi's that brought me to the HAMB that the jerk that had em CRUSHED the Monday before I brought him the cash on a Wednesday.

That still hurts.

17. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

I like chicks in bras.

Looks like somebody might be ate up with Rivi's, again. Or still.

18. Pscott

Pscott

"However, by 1965 Buick sales had proven themselves enough to give Bill Mitchell something he always wanted - hidden headlights. Of course, 1965 would also be the last year for the design that many believe is the most beautiful American car ever."
    What a great design, and oh so typical of GM; get everything just right for one year, then change it all.:mad:

19. rixrex

rixrex

Thanks Ryan..Love those Rivieras..I've had mine since 1979, time to bring it out of retirement..the fellow that put the Riviera frontend on the Cadillac did an outstanding job, its got me looking for a 65 Cadillac!

20. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

I like chicks in bras and I like Rivieras too!!!!:D:D:D:D

Nick.

21. mcload

mcload

Great story; great car...always thought the Riviera was the pinnacle of styling for it's day. Also, looking at Bill Mitchell's customized '63 Riviera (red wheel wells and all), I was instantly reminded of the lines of the '66 GTO, at least from the front 3/4 view. (but that's just me)

Attached Files:

• Riv.jpg
      Riv.jpg
      File size:
      102.2 KB
      Views:
  22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Is it me or have the fenders and "point" of the hood been extended as well?

I'm not crazy about the chop or the exaggerated side scoops, but I love the wheels and tires.

23. phukinartie

phukinartie

Man those cars are cool!

24. A little bit and check out the hood which has been reworked too...imagine it sitting a little closer to mother earth

25. Marco Patino's Rivi.:D:cool:

Attached Files:

marcoman likes this.
  26. I Love the original design, but it usually overshadows the '66-'67 (the front end got clunky in '68), it also a nicely designed... like if the original Riviera "got with" a Toronado, and the FWD was a recessive gene.

27. Ghost28

Ghost28

Thanks ryan... Ever notice when you are looking to buy a certain car,or have just aquired it. They seem to be everywhere you look. I just got my riviera from a barn. And now they show up in articles, or on the street corners. I guess before I just wasn't looking close enough. Any way neat history, I think I'll save this one ...ghost

Attached Files:

28. I have sat in my garage late at night, looking at mine parked about 20' away, and I think of the movie Christine. Not because the cars look alike, but the Rivi looks like it could come to life and run me over. The doctors need to up my meds.

Just Gary likes this.
  29. Good story, thanks for the insight Ryan.
    I think you're right about the fenders and hood.
    I love the chop and wheels, but hate the WWs and scoops....go figure.

30. skywolf

skywolf

Thanks for the story Ryan. Fantastic. I have always loved the styling of the 63-65 Rivieras. Here's mine.

[​IMG]

marcoman likes this.