Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can I convert my Lincoln Handy Core to gas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PunkRodder, Feb 12, 2008.

1. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

I few years ago I bought my Lincoln Handy Core welder. At the time it was all I could afford, and has been pretty good for welding around my property. Now that I am going to do major body restoration I would like to use gas instead of flux core. Does any one know if this welder can be converted? I would really like a Tig but can not afford one right now.

2. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

No welders here tonight?

3. rstanberry

rstanberry
    from terrell tx

Not sure which model Lincoln you have .I have a Lincoln 110 v mig that originally was flux core only. I bought a conversion kit for $25.00 (on sale at Home Depot). Simple conversion, go buy gas and go.
    Ron

4. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

wow 25 bucks? I bought this thing at Home depot too. I will have to look. the model is called "Handy Core" I know it sounds kinda gay, but thats the model thats on the front.

5. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

does it have a hole in the back with a plug in it . where the gas hose would go in . i did one for a freind but differnt model ,

6. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

I don't think so but I am at work now so I will have to check later. Do you think I could convert it anyway?

7. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

It looks exactly like the weld pack, except I think I paid over 300 for it. Not that that matters, but I think it is a decent quility flux core welder if there is such a thing.

8. call the local welding shop that sells lincoln welders or get online and go to lincolns website. good luck.

9. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

Our local weld shop is a Miller distributor. I will ask though.

10. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

most of those can be made into a mig , but dont put down the flux core i use mig and flux core all the time , flux core is stronger and hotter for welding heaver metal it can do thicker stuff then gas when it comes to low volt welders . you need to have that welder on its own breaker too right into the fuse box or it will work like shit check the instructions for breaker size or amp , check home depo they have all the upgrade stuff for the small lincoln welders

11. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

So if there is no hole in the back can I drill one to make it look stock? I kind of have an idea of the way it is supposed to work.

12. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

if the hole is not there i would think it cant be converted but i mit be wrong ,check the opererators manual .

13. zipper-z

zipper-z
    from MA

just a guess but I have the Handy Mig welder that came as a kit with the gas conversion in it. I would think it was just the handy core with the kit. Not sure but I would think it would be a simple conversion. I like the little handy mig for small jobs.

14. Onelow34

Onelow34

I have the same welder, and the same problem! I am getting a conversion kit from lincoln this week(I had to order) and when I get it I will be more than happy to get ya the part number to make things easier for ya. Just pm me

15. I've got a Lincoln 175 that I was using flux core on till I got some gas and I do recall that you are supposed to change the polarity of the output when going from one to the other. I suppose kit instructions would say so as well.

16. mista278

mista278
    from louisiana

i use to see the conversion kit all the time at home depot and sears and now i cant find it anywhere. anyone have a part number or know where i can find it?