Register now to get rid of these ads!

George Ray's Wildcat Dragstrip...anyone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChevyGirlRox, Apr 30, 2007.

1. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Ever since the truck that Petejoe, Youngbuck and I helped build was on Horsepower TV I have set my Tivo to record the series in hopes someday I might actually see the interview on it. Yesterday while cleaning out my Tivo of HPTV episodes I ran across one about George Ray's Wildcat Dragstrip in Paragould, AK. I kept thinking to myself the whole episode "boy this is cool but it is an insurance nightmare waiting to happen".

Is this place still open? Have any of you raced there? Is George still alive and kicking? I did a search on the HAMB and came up with only one other post about it... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23159&highlight=paragould

What a neat place. But like I said, I imagine the confines of our modern lawsuit happy/insurance crazy society of have shut it down by now.

2. PA

PA
    from Arkansas

It was open last year, Haven't been there this year.. George is 80 something and a short timer though, so it may not open back when he passes..

The most dangerous track I've ever seen. 1/8 mile, very short shut down, real narrow, and people standing all over the track... Fun though..

A Hambers dream..

PA

Attached Files:

3. monsterflake

monsterflake

there are more than a few st louis guys that are considering a trip down there this year. should we set a date?

4. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

Count me in, I've been wanting to go there for years. Especially since it's days are surely numbered!

5. We used to hit that track back when I lived in SE MO. if you get a chance you better get there. The place will stick in your mind like the first time you did it.....lol

6. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

that's the episode that joe elmore sings. yipes!!

7. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Yeah Steve. Set a date, my digger, Bills stuff, Jeffs Chevy II., stlouis gassers 55 They all belong on that strip.! B

8. Codeman

Codeman
    from SE Mo

George is alive and well. Will it continue on after he passes? Who knows enjoy it while you can. As far as his health I think he is pretty good shape he is more apt to kill himself doing something an 80+ year old man shouldn't rather than die of old age. :p LOL You guys need to set a date so I can plan to be there. I am a little too young to have seen the good stuff go down that strip, this would be my chance.

By the way the track record was set a little lower this past weekend.

[​IMG]

9. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

WOW a 4.80 down that track. I want to shake that guys hand!! The 6.0 in the other lane is nothing to snease at either. I have been 6.1s at sikeston, but I think 6.0 at George Rays would seem more like a 5.0 as narrow as it is. And Sikeston is a damn narrow track. Again WOW 4.80.

10. a friend...or friendly acquaintance rather...of mine frequents that place...I may have to have an excuse to go visit her...

not to hijack the post, but any of you arkies ever go to Centerville? I'd like to know if ya do so maybe we could rent the track for a day and run something other than imports and s-10s...

11. monsterflake

monsterflake

don't forget about my secret super stocker project...;)

12. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Ya, that was a little scary! And how about how he didn't go there when he was young becuase he "wasn't allowed"?!? I'm fairly sure very few 16 year olds were "allowed" to race their parents car at the local strip but did it anyways. What a 'hot rod' weenie!:D

13. Codeman

Codeman
    from SE Mo

Yeah Elmore's singing is worse than his acting.

You think Sikeston is narrow? I never had that feeling but the quickest I have been down it was mid 7's. I think the record over at Sikeston now is in the 4.0 range.

14. PA

PA
    from Arkansas

Its an Outlaw strip for a reason.. I've known racers that would not unload when they saw the track.. Also known racers that ran once, and wouln't go back.. For many reasons. .

It would be wise to just visit and soak it up, before you make a planned event. It may not really be what you expect. Elmore is TV, and this web stuff..

PA

15. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

16. I grew up around there. Use to help my buddy run his "n" stock/stick 48 Plymouth coupe there, probably around 1964. It wasn't fast enough to be dangerous. But, we were "racers".