Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Mallory Super-Mag

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. with tach drive ... hmmm i would be guessing for a truck big truck

3. squirrel

squirrel

looks like for a Y block?

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No, it's definitely a high-performance part... Read the marketing material.

5. alchemy

alchemy

I've got one for a SBC, but mine has a wider cap like the HC DuCoils (except the extra coil tower is a dud). I'll get some pics soon, but I have no other data.

6. so that would narrow it down to t-birds and maybe nascar type higher rpm fords

7. squirrel

squirrel

is there a part number on the box?

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I know nothing and I'm kinda interested in learning. I can tell you that a friend of mine bought a Roto-Faze for his Chevy and that thing is huge and one big honkin' dizzy especially compared to my Mallory Dual point with the cool wire terminating cap.

This is American man, Bigger is always better...you know that! (in my best Ricky Bobby voice)

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

"525 RH" is printed on the mag...

10. rhpope

rhpope

I have one exactly like this one except for the lower housing to fit a Chrysler. Note that the Advance side name plate does not have anything stamped in the boxes for the advance at a particular rpm. This means that there is a solid coupling between the lower housing shaft and the generator which means it is a locked mechanical advance. The ones with mechanical advance has a set of fly weights inside the lower housing and would have the specs for how many degrees of advance at a given rpm stamp on the plate. The Advance or retard scale with the needle is so that you did not have to loosen the regular distributor hold down clamp and you would loosen the band clamp and rotate the generator to change the locked base (or static) timing more easily.

As shown in the paperwork, the magneto requires an external coil and specifically a Mag-Spark coil for this setup to work.

As already stated, the base is for a Y Block Ford.

Roger

11. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

damn i wish i was lucky enough to find stuff like this ... it so looks for a y block .

worth building a motor for hell a whole hotrod!

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm speculating here, and I draw my speculation from 2 things, the color and the hgt. I think it may be a marine hipo part or version. Crab caps are popular for marine applications, and the color (blue,water?) leads to the idea. Taller? Maybe for easier access in the engine. It looks to be fairly well sealed up too, but many mags are pretty well sealed for obvious reasons. The blue could simply be "Ford", but I have a Mallory with a crab cap and tach drive that's a marine Chevy part. I see similarities.

Ok, since the number was posted while I was typing, and it has "RH" in the number, twin-engined boats have one spinning one way and the other opposite. Maybe?

13. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

It looks like either Y block or small block Ford. I've got old Mallory catalogs at home that I can look it up in later this evening, if it hasn't been positively identified by then. I've seen Super Mag control boxes at swap meets that it would probably need in order to function.

14. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

All the other "Super-Mag"s have an achievable horse power on the tag, such as one for a Ford 427 says "465 HP" and so forth.

My thinking is that you have one that was set up for "525 RH~ Rear wheel horse power" for drag racing or nascar. with the variable timing on the side it would be easy for a crew member to tweak it here and there. the low crab cap may have been for hood clearance from say a 427 SOHC or 406 maybe?

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The paper work also talks about a "boost" switch... Something my ignition guy mentioned (GMC Bubba)...

Essentially, if it's a battery started engine you switch the switch to "Boost" for starting. Once the engine is started, you switch it to "Run." I love little shit like that.

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yes, the 'boost' would be 12 Volts to coil (Magspark transformer in this case) while cranking, a function GM uses at the starter solenoid.
    Mallory Magspark transformers had a resistor that dropped 'coil voltage', as did GMs.

17. Carb-Otto

Carb-Otto
    from FINkLAND

I'd say also that it would be for Ford, derived from gear.

I remember seeing some old voltage regulator which had bit similar "little shit". Regulator had switch for reversed polarity which helps when engine is being started, when it runs, switch is turned back to normal. Based on same fact that when you connect battery + and - to right poles on a generator, it starts to roll.
    Something like that...

Mallory also had Rev-Pol distributor, where "rev-pol" stands for "reversed polarity". What it helps on a distributor, I don't have slightest idea...
    But they sure do look good! That is reason why I have one polished for my nailhead! :D

18. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I have a couple on the bench and have rebuilt a few for customers. Made a couple electronic using chrysler reluctor and GM HEI control modules as well.

The basic idea was for the mag lower end to be a generator supplying its own primary voltage to the coil and not need a battery etc. I will get one up and running in a day or two and post a" how the hell does it work" post on this thread.

19. Looking at the spec sheet, that thing puts out at least 2x its nearest competition.
    Literature says its for the most extreme racing conditions.
    Cool stuff, I want one.

Id look at the most extreme racing, record holders, and such from the time period ( late 50s did you say?) I bet something pops up.

20. Wow! Ryan has stumped Jim (GMC Bubba). Made him drag out that ol' thinking cap. Who wouldda thunk? Can't wait to see that "how it works" post.

21. VERNOR-GREEN GARAGE

VERNOR-GREEN GARAGE
    from Michigan

22. 421SD

421SD
    from Elgin, IL

the RH stands for Right Hand Rotation as oppose to LH which would be for a boat

23. Blue caps on Mallorys identify marine units as I remember.

24. guffey

guffey

Car_Craft_Magazine-1967-April.jpg

This used a Mallory super mag with a conventional cap I couldn't fine a better photo

25. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Ok some more little shit for Ryan...:D

My favorite Mallory piece is the Rev Pol Street / Strip dash switch.
    Little blue lamp show when in the race mode!!!
    When in street mode the ignition feed went straight thru the ballast resitor and bypasses the resistor in "strip" mode.

Fond memorys of riding in a blue , 427 Galaxie with this switch mounted in my friends car. I think it ran twice as fast in the strip mode ..... didnt it ?????

[​IMG]

26. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The 525 identifies the engine family it fits...don't have catalog here but someone will. Those numbers stayed the same until Mallory moved to China, though in products made after a certain time about 1970 they are moved into a longer number as in xx525xxx.
    The HP is the advance curve, high perf presumably...that info is changed into numbers in later numbers.
    I assume the RH means the thing came in reverse rotation for paired marine engines.

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Dude... Blue lights add horsepower. They have to!! Can you imagine if it were red? Jesus god... WORLD RECORDS would be had!!!! That is too cool.

28. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

I also have the same mag, but mine has a Chevy base. I just had Zig freshen it up and I have never used it. These are the original Super Mags. The advance mechanism is easily adjustable by removing the base, you will see the curve is easily set.
    Van

29. TERPU

TERPU

High performance Marine. The RH is for Right Hand due to some boats having a LH or left hand engine as well. Tach drive and flat cap are common boat stuff as well. The switch for boost is to act like an impulse coupler to snap the mag or make spark when turning slow. The faster a mag turns the more spark you get typically. The old mags I have for Bangers have impulse couplers to allow enough resistance or spring like action to snap the shaft around faster to generate a hot spark to start. once running it isn't needed. Modern Vertex Mags have a similar action and you feel it when turning the shaft. But this is from my memory and stuff I have. I have never owned a Super Mag, so it'll be cool to see how it turns out. That's a cool piece and may fit behind the 4-71 on the rear of the y-block. Firewall surgery would be worth it to run that. It's a very cool piece and eliminates alot of ignition woes if it has advance and still works. Congrats that's a bitchin piece.

Tim

30. racer756

racer756

What a beautiful part!

I love mags on street driven cars.