Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Old Sanjose Speedway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpeedyPAt, Jul 16, 2008.

1. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

[​IMG]

An old Howard Kaeding ride

2. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

[​IMG]
    I was told this is one of the real Blue Goose's ? of Arnold Chaves driven to many wins and a couple of SJ spdwy track championships
    The last 2 photos taken at Roseville West Capitol vintage meet on sept 23

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  3. Excellent site.

Was loaned a disc of many (not all) early issues of Racing Wheels (1962-64). Attached is a letter from Kenny T., which seems to pinpoint the beginning correspondence from the San Jose area to the newspaper.

I'll send stuff to you as I come across it. Other things will probably end up on the blog listed as my signature.

Attached Files:

4. bluesdude

bluesdude
    from NorCal

the 100 was the first Nelson Santos Chevy, formerly driven by Johnny Brazil, here it was driven by Charlie Correia from Tracy, CA

5. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

Do you mean this car? This was taken at

All American spdwy for the West Capitol vintage Gathering

[​IMG]

6. sal m.

sal m.

I used to live a couple of blocks away from the track befor eastridge shoping center. We used to walk over there and see all those people you were talking about. I think i was in the 6th grade when I started going there. I went to school with a Silva and his pareent owned the Silva sauges and they used to sell them there. You guys brought back some memories. Thanks

7. Rod and Wheeler

Rod and Wheeler
    from NOR CAL

can you say linguisa

8. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

NO I cant, but I can say LINGUICA If You went there to that LINGUICA stand You probably heard them shout "One SILVA Special, Linguica sandwich? I was the one that was created for. It called for two links in one sandwich as far as I know they didn't do it for anyone else?
    aXe

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  9. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

The Legends of Kearney Bowl is a group of guys bringing back the old supermodifieds. Last Sat. they had 18! old Supers that ran Hanford at the Cotton Classic, They will be running Tulare Thunderbowl on Nov. 12, some great old supers. Al Pombo's #3, Sargents #7, Everett Edlunds #1, Brazil #1 car to name a few, come check em out!

10. boldventure

boldventure

Attached Files:

11. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Vintage supermodifieds, sprints, midgets, and track roadsters will be running at the Walt James Classic Willow Springs the Friday and Sat. After Thanksgiving, they also have a speed part swap meet, if you have a car bring it out, lots of track time

12. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

[​IMG]
    I took this picture in 1959. Was a sad day as short of operating monies We had some new parts in a rebuilt engine and it didnt last very long, Seems the rod bearings were stock rod throw size but the crank had a .010 under throws on it. Well with those clearances it didnt take long for it to start rattling on every throw!
    Marshall Sargent in the sedan and Shiner Watkins in the midget owned by chet Taylor of Santa Clara ca. owner of Taylors Safety Service of SC and Jack Hughes of Morgn Hill Ca.owner of Morgan Hill auto parts. Funny but Shiner never did get to race that midget

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  13. bluesdude

bluesdude
    from NorCal

No the one pictured below by PaddyBuilt coming out of turn two at SJ. Nice pic here though of the 100 in the pits, Thanks. One of my all time favorite cars from that time. Oh how I miss those days. Got to see it on the track at Roseville 09/11.

Cheers

14. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

15. GerryO

GerryO
    from San Jose

Definitely Charlie C. at the wheel of the same #100 (no fuel injection) in that photo, along with Bob Z., Earle Stanton, Kirk Edison (in the former #91 Roland Wlodyka car) and it looks like Lloyd Beard's red #1 car sneaking into the picture. Recall Charlie badly wrecking his #26 ride earlier in the season. His big back yard in Tracy, CA was visible from an overpass along 580.

This is how someone remembers the same car on another night:

http://www.hoseheadforums.com/forumDU.cfm?PageNum_qGetThread=3&ThreadID=40989

Were you there the night Stockton Modified driver Tony Querillo (#100) won the main event at the old San Jose Speedway (Tully Road) in his first ever appearance at the track? I remember Fred Ede was highly agitated at the Stockton 99 Speedway champion, who's chief mechanic had dropped a super modified engine in the #100 car. It was amazing that he won the main against some of the best open wheel asphalt drivers on the west coast - in his first appearance. The car was owned by Nelson Santos of Tracy, who later became the car owner of a new #100 for former great Johnny Brazil of Manteca. That was a night to remember and I think several of the super drivers were not very happy.

[​IMG]

Tony Queriolo (with Michelle Davis) - first career San Jose Speedway Main Event win (7/6/74)

I was there. It may have been one of those nights when the Main Event ran almost non-stop and he started near the front of the field. It may also have been one of the four or five Key race qualifying nights, when car counts were up, and the crowds and purses were bigger than normal too. Fred Ede in his circle 4 car from Clovis/Fresno area may have missed out on a Key race qualifying spot.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  16. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

First race there ever for sure He had to start up front due to the handicaping system in play there. All the quick timers would start in back plus if you were up in points or had won in the previous weeks you would also start out back. I am not for sure on their handicaping system but if you started up front you either had not ever raced there before or werent very good there.

17. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

aXe33 Thanks for the info on facebook supermodified pictures, there was some questions on my #97 super in there. The questions on two different names on the car. Bob Benifield's name is on the grandstand side of the car. Bob drove the car from 1970 - 1974, Bob won track Championships at both Chico Silver Dollar Speedway and Anderson Shasta Speedway in 1971. The other question was were the car was running in a picture taken in 2009. That picture was taken by Art Spaulding at the Walt James Classic at Willow Springs Thanks Giving weekend. The Jim Perry Reunion is April 28th with most of the Supers running Tulare that night.

18. tommy v

tommy v

i look at this everyday [​IMG]

19. rick finch

rick finch

Nice image of Pombo....Bob McCoy is the best.

20. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Great picture TommyV!!! I get to look at this every day....(from the kitchen window, so the wifey gets to as well)....LOL
    [​IMG]

21. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

San Jose Supermodified (Ledgends of Kearney Bowl) schedule for 2012 March 31st Madera, Gerhart Classic
    April 14th Tulare Thunderbowl
    April 28th Jim Perry Reunion and Tulare
    May 5th Hanford
    May 12th Tulare Sargent Pombo Classic
    May 19th Stockton
    June 2nd Tulare
    June 9th Madera Pombo Classic
    July 7th Watsonville Howard Kaeding Classic!
    July 14th Hanford
    Aug 8th Madera
    Aug 18th Stockton Johnny Brazil Tribute
    Aug 25th Watsonville Johnie Key classic
    Sept. 14, 15 Roseville
    Sept. 29th Santa Maria
    Oct. 13th Hanford Cotton Classic
    Oct. 27th Chowchilla

Come on out and watch the Supermodifieds run, Guys have up to 20 of these old supers restored and running, Sargent and Pombos cars will be on track, Also take in some sprint cars racing on dirt tracks. If you liked the Supermodifieds of the 60s thru 80s here's an opportunity to see them run again.

22. GerryO

GerryO
    from San Jose

Starting up front in the Main still meant that you were among the 18 fastest qualifiers, as originally there were no transfers from the Semi, and the 20 or 40 lap (double-points) Main was a fully inverted start, as were all of the Heat Races, the Semi Main (Semi points), the Final Heat and the Trophy Dash, plus like you mentioned there was the handicap list, based on a driver's two most recent Main Event appearances/finishes. Sand-bagging or problems during qualifying didn't pay more than once.

Setting Fast Time (points) got you to the back of one of two fast Heats (even and odd number qualifiers), and the Trophy Dash and the Final Heat (points), if you were good enough to do well in your Heat Race (no points).

The cars were supposed to be self-starting too, and those needing to be push-started for the start of a race would go to the back of the field. Starts and all restarts were double-file, with racing to the yellow, but not to the red, and red flagged and subsequent yellow flag laps didn't count. No curfew and grease sweep could make for a very long/late night.

If one or more of the original 18 fastest qualifiers didn't make it out for the Main for one reason or another, the next quickest guys moved up, and sometimes a car/driver could be persuaded to sit out the Main, to move the right guy up, who was running for points. A few times the entire Main Event field qualified in the 13 second bracket at the 1/3 mile banked oval.

You got to see a really hot driver in multiple Hot Lap sessions, Qualifyng, run his Heat (six laps), run the Trophy Dash (3 laps), run the Final Heat (10 laps and sometimes the best race of the night) and run the Main (20 or 40 laps), and all for $3.50 on a Saturday night. Real racin'!

23. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

I remember whan it was only a $1.25 to get in there, But as a kid I usualy just followed a group in for free. Ticket taker knew Me and let it pass.

24. 6 inline

6 inline
    from Galt ca.

25. GrumpyGrizzly

GrumpyGrizzly

Sorry for resurrecting an old post but, I think I might have found something that belonged to the San Jose Speedway. At least the Craigslist ad says it came from there.

It's a 1938 Dodge Brothers Tow Truck.

Does anyone recall ever seeing this truck in action or possibly have action pictures of it?

I've been pondering buying it and restoring it to look like a working tow truck. I'd like to get any decal work that might have been on it replaced, perhaps from the San Jose Speedway?

Anyway, here's a couple of pictures. Any help is greatly appreciated. Drop me a note if you can.

Attached Files:

26. GerryO

GerryO
    from San Jose

That truck looks vaguely familiar and I don't know if I have any photos of it from the early '70s, but I do recall it looking exactly the same, way back when.

27. maddog

maddog
    from So Cal

[​IMG]

This was the car I pitted for, it was a great time but-
    this happened all to often.

[​IMG]

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE likes this.
  28. Coach65

Coach65

Have to say, we moved to a home that was right across the street from the north enterance of the old speedway. I spent many Saturday nights watching, then working, at the speedway for 3 years. The subdivision was new, the airport was half the size it is now, and Eastridge Mall was a golf course. Before that my Father and my uncles raced hard tops in the late 50's, early 60's there. I remember he won one race! On the last lap the two cars in front of him (half a lap ahead) took each other out and he passed them to win the race. He used to let me ride in the car to the racetrack as they pulled it with a towbar. LOL.... can you imagine doing that today? Silva's was the best, and the fries were great, too. Oh, and my Father was banned from the track after he and my Mom sperated. He got drunk and crashed his car in front of the main stands. His number, 502. The same the police used for drunk driving code. LOL

29. anybody remember the old alviso speedway?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  30. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Oh yeah. My buddy and later race car partner Larry Climbie ran a claimer there. Lots of fun. little success.