Register now to get rid of these ads!

Introducing The Ford Barn... Officially...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 27, 2010.

1. rustybucket

rustybucket

2. bobscogin

bobscogin

A good website made even better!

Bob

3. The more I look at and study the stock, unrestored, unchopped early Fords, the more I like 'em.

4. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Ryan, I love the new Ford Barn. And since my 2 sons both have old Fords ('67 and '70) they can both participate as well! We're all registered over there. I used to go to the old Ford Barn but didn't post much because I didn't like the old threaded format. Now I hit it regularly, and love the forum dedicated to the Model A.

Thanks for taking on the project and really doing a really super job on it!

Tom

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

My two favorite sights !

Thanks Ryan,..... you do good stuff ! :D

6. Django

Django
    from Chicago

You are entitled to your opinion, but like Ryan, I disagree with everything you wrote.

Reduced to a HAMB imitation site? Just because it has the same software/look and feel? Sure it functions the same, and is branded in the Atomic Industries format. It will still be the Ford Barn if "they" let it be. Only better.

I get the AV8/small block analogy, and it kinda fits! :D However it needed to be done. The alternative was that the Ford Barn would cease to exist. It's that simple. Who could possibly WANT that?

Notice no one is complaining (that I have seen yet) that the street rod area is gone. And that the "hot rod" link points back to the HAMB.

I've been going to the 'Barn since '04 and muddling through it. My prayers were answered when I sent Ryan that first pm that the 'Barn was going to close. So thanks Ryan. :D

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

heh... No thank you Chad.

8. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

I think this is what most of the people that are up in arms just dont get...... if this hadnt been done..... there would be NO Fordbarn.
    Im glad it is still around.

9. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

I think this is awesome.

I own a '49 Ford Club Coupe that's going to be a relatively mild early-mid '50s custom, and while it's a late car, it's also a yard car--so I have a tremendous amount of restoration to do.

I think I'll probably find some great resources on the Ford Barn--as soon as I join today--and I can't wait to start looking through it and being able to see the photos.

Not only that, I--like a lot of other people on here--totally respect the evolution Fords went through from stockers to rods and customs.

I have a soft spot in my heart for stockers, and I know that a lot of other people here do too. Even '41-'48 Fords. And we don't instantly want to rod or customize everything we see.

So, to the Ford Barn guys who are outraged that "we're" here--chill, dudes.

You're not all about tweed interiors and billet mirrors and frame swaps for everyone and Boyd wheels and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles graphics, and neither are we.

We just like the occasional dropped axle; the occasional reversed-eye spring, and the occasional, er, chop now and then.

That's all. I think.

10. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

Finally, some organization - easy to navigate. Nice job.

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Gee, I'm going to miss answering a 3-day old question and finding that no one saw the answer because it was two feet down the page...clicking my way back to the main list over and over because the threads don't connect all the way through...finding the search page is down for six months at a time, and is nearly worthless because it cannot narrow the subject or choose by person...the internet needs to be hard and challenging, like driving a Model T through the mud season.

12. flatjack

flatjack

I agree with Bruce. It was tough to find continuity on any long thread. And having to scroll way down a page to see if anyone added a post was a pain. I know there are a few who don't like the change, but I certainly cannot see any drawbacks to the new format. I think on the whole everyone is pretty pleased. Also I think most of the guys are open to flathead modifications to increase performance and reliability.

13. All I know is, Ryan has taken the Fordbarn to new heights as the alternative would have had a real negative affect on the hobby, to be sure - go Ryan!!

Not all the guys are in to stockers however, myself included (I do not own a stocker), and I've been on for quite some time. But there are certainly very, very few who had cut one up save for perhaps those who were on the street rod portion (and who are now directed here). I guess you could say the Fordbarn leaves out the "custom" portion that is the HAMB, but there are certainly a good mix of hot rods and stockers both, and many guys own one or more of each.

My opinion - if you are in to flatties in any way shape or form - go there - into old Fords in general? go there as the Fordbarn is the place to be. Couple guys are building/have blower motors, some are running flathead dragters, others are nursing horsepower out of their flatheads in all traditional and more modern ways. Regular contributors to the 'Barn like Ol' Ron has a book out called Nostalgia, JWL also has one out showing step-by-step performance improvements and how the dyno liked them (with some pretty sorpurising answers), and Mac VanPelt has an excellent book out on Ford's 3-speed trannies. Bruce Lancaster has spoken about these books and is also a millestone when it comes to flatheads and has a book coming out as well. All talk about flathead hop up, performance improvements and just plain everyday reliability - all three books are in my library as the writers (and Bruce's will be too) as well as their works are invaluable to the hobby.

Lurk, join in, whatever - the old Ford info on the 'Barn will just blow you away ....

14. flthd31

flthd31

Nice!
    Thanks for the much needed update to FordBarn. For those disgruntled about the changed look, you can change back to the "threaded look" by going into the "control panel" and click "edit options".

Attached Files:

15. Looks great, glad its still around.

Good work to all involved.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There you go. It is probably a prayer come true for Bruce.

There are people in all areas of everything who can't deal with change and are the most vocal about it but usually change ends up for the better.

I'll have to come up with a fresh name for over there though. But at the moment I actually have more flathead Ford Chev engines than I do Chev engines.

Thanks on more time Ryan for saving a valuable resource for us to use and enjoy.

17. Abomination

Abomination

I think it would be great if folks from Fordbarn and the HAMB started posting in each other's classifieds. One man's trash is another man's treasure. ;)

~Jason

18. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Much as I like restored cars, the restorer attitude sometimes piques me. These are the same folks who would see a nice, traditional hot rod built from a wadded up, rusty body found in a riverbank as “a waste of a perfectly good old car”. They’d have rather seen that body (or the Fordbarn) dissolve into that riverbank than have it turned into anything besides what it started out as.

-Dave

19. NoSurf

NoSurf

What I wanna know is if any old Fordbarners said "oh wow neat, a hotrod board" and joined the HAMB?

20. Jeff J

Jeff J

Well Congradutions Ryan and good luck ! Sorry we didn't get to hook up with ya last week as coming back from the c2c10 run with Bob K.

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

where's the Chevy Barn?

22. 53Crestline

53Crestline

Glad you took the opportunity and are making it more intuitive...that a GREAT medium that spans the globe...and we all benefit form your effort, so thanks! :)

23. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

One thing I noticed is that generic early Ford discussions end up in the "Early V8" catagory. Shouldn't they be in the Model A or T catagorys? Leaving only tech discussions for early V8s in there?

24. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

25. metalshapes

metalshapes

No, its more like you brought a Salami Sandwich to a Vegan Convention.

They like their Flatheads at the Ford Barn.

We like Traditional Hot Rods and Traditional Customs.

And there is nothing wrong with that...

26. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

27. klazurfer

klazurfer

MOST EXCELLENT !!! :) .... Waay cool :)

28. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

We all agree with Bruce, ALWAYS, it's in the Forum rules I think.

29. autobilly

autobilly

<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Quote from 52merc in NZ posted today on Ford Barn-
    "i see ryan has sent a post on j/journel very interesting read,i thought he might have got into those hamb guys before this but at least hes done it thanks ryan as it was getting uncomfortable to say the least when remarks such as if you were on the other site i would get into you!!forums of any type should not tolerate[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] this ,we are here to learn & give info on old flatheads not to get smart ,as i said forums should be for info & not photo shoots such as the offical 32 ste or the 34 site there a place for all these pic & its not really on the forum my 2 cents worth[​IMG] "

30. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Congratulations

Joined the other week - Great source of information:D