Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Old Sanjose Speedway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpeedyPAt, Jul 16, 2008.

1. 57Yblock

57Yblock
    from California

Wow...that brings back some memories. I spent many Saturday nights at the old SJ Speedway Hardtops, not the fairgrounds. Marshall Sargent in his Ford Vicky was the D. Earnhardt of the time and later his sons Mike and Mark, Al Pombo, the Kaeding's . Lots of fisticuffs in the pits. The food was frickin' terrible. This is back when folks raced 40 Ford Coupes, Model A's, etc. If you rolled over and finished the race you got a cash prize. Destruction Derbys. Loved the asphalt track. I never attended a dirt track race until Amarillo Speedway in Texas while was in the USAF there. I had completely forgotten the short-lived drag strip at Reid Hillview. Went there a few times also. Half Moon Bay, where Garlits broke 150 MPH for the first time if I remember correctly in one of the Swamp Rats. I live near Watsonville Speedway and never go anymore. It ain't the same. I like banked asphalt and a longer track.

Mark

2. Johnalias

Johnalias
    from Cali

3. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

I was looking through some old San Jose spdwy pictures and came across this one, I am not sure how i got it and cant indentify any one in it, Can you help? It says 1962 on the back.
    Thanks
    aXe
    [​IMG]

4. shemp

shemp
    Alliance Vendor

My father used to take me to see the figure 8 races in San Jose (mid to late 60's). Too many 55-57 Chevy sedans to count.

One of my favorite San Jose speedway stories came from Jack English (deceased) who in the 50's, used to use his '39 Dodge (hand crank) tow truck at the Speedway to clear the track after accidents. One night he picked up a modified from the front, but the ignition was still on and it was in gear. The motor fired and he had to go around the track as fast as he could (with the car still in tow) till it ran out of gas. He received a standing ovation.

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  5. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

Terrible food? Evidently You didnt have a Silva Linguica sandwich?
    drag strip at Reid Hillview? It wasnt there but at an airport a little further north they called it Little Bonneville I think? He has all the records just about in the book that were set there.
    You have to have this book for all the old tracks information listed in the San Jose area from about 1900 to 2000?
    http://www.historysanjoseautoracing.com/
    Dennis covers that drag strip with picturs ALSO.
    aXe

6. MTUJOHN

MTUJOHN

Funny, my memory is that they had the best french fries on earth. Of course, that was 1960 and I was 6. Clyde/Bernice/Scotty Palmer were our next door neighbors and my parents could not keep me out of his garage when his car was there. Used to love the watch the 7 and 10 battle it out - Palmer and Sargent.

7. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

8. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

there is a reunion coming up for the Tully rd spdwy, 50s & 60s racing there and other places, I guess anyone interested in going back with stories or bringing thier vintage cars would be welcome.
    any one here want the information for it?
    It is being held in Morgan Hill and I hear it may b e the last one?
    aXe

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  9. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Just for fun, thought I would share this.
    I am building this out of a bunch of stuff I have managed to scrounge over the years,
    figured if I couldnt ever have a real super, I could build one for the grand kids to play on.
    Hope to have it done in a month for the grandsons visit:):)
    [​IMG]

too much fun!!!!
    Louie

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  10. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

Neat project.
    Boy lucky Grand kids!
    aXe

11. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Thanks, got it rolling today:)
    Louie

12. Johnny Bones

Johnny Bones

My dad used to pit for delong years ago out there. I grew up going to the races on saturday nights. Glad to see I'm not the only one still thinkin bout those days...

13. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Got more done on the lil back yard modified today. Squared up cage and got motor in. This had been too much fun.

[​IMG]

Louie

14. sickboy713

sickboy713
    from oildale

is that the delong that used to grind cams? i have an old reverse rotation that he ground.

15. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

[​IMG][/IMG]

Dennis (The Menace ) Arnold set up this picturte on old drivers from San Jose his picture is at the bottom of the page of pictures.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  16. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

17. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

First pictures on My site were Paul "RED" Bender Starter at SJ And Kearny Bowl, KennyTakaucih the announcer for several years at SJ Kearny bowl And Clovis, Al Mambo Pombo at the tool box, then Big guy next to the #3 car is Howard Kaeding and the guy with the ten car is the old Villian Clyde Palmer.
    aXe

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  18. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

How she looked not to long after closeing.
    axe[​IMG]

19. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

One of the old San Jose MASTERS Al Mombo Pombo Who recently passed away.
    aXe
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  20. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

If any of you guys are interested in seeing Pombo's, Sargent's, Nick's and about 20 other old supers from that era still run. The Ledgends of Kearney bowl just sent me the 2011 schedule, They will be running at Madera April 2nd, Tulare april 16th, Tulare April 30th after the Jim Perry Kearney Bowl reunion, this will be a good show! May 7th Madera, May 14th Tulare Pombo/Sargent Classic, Madera June 11th Vukovich classic, July 1st and 2nd Howard kaeding Classic in Watsonville, Santa Maria July 23rd, Johnny Key Classic Aug 27th in Watsonville, Sept. 23, 24, at Roseville, Oct. 15th Hanford Cotton Classic, and the Walt James Classic Nov. 26th, 27th I restored a 1969 Super driven by Bob Bennifield, he won the track Championship in 1971 at Chico Silver Dollar Speedway and Shasta Speedway, you can check out pics of it on my profile, injected chevy, Ton of fun on dirt!

21. tommy v

tommy v

thanks paddybuilt,heres a few pic's of Bob Zwemke early 70's [​IMG] [​IMG]

22. tommy v

tommy v

23. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Great pictures! Do you know who drove the yellow 100 super? was it a pickup?

24. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

San Jose style Supermodifieds (ledgends of Kearney Bowl) will be running before the World Of Outlaw main event rain delay race Thursday March 31st at Kings Speedway in Hanford. Work, and weather permiting we will try to run that one.

25. speakfordadead

speakfordadead

I remember San Jose Speedway well. They always had a great race.... Anybody remeber Bill Hill or Joe Bailey Brooks?? Those guys were always just crazy out there. But sorry to say, nothing was more exciting that watching the figure eight races on Friday night at Watsonville speedway!!!!

26. jburns95125

jburns95125

27. jburns95125

jburns95125

28. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

29. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

30. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

If you like the old supermodifieds the Howard Kaeding Classic will be running Friday and Saturday nights July 1st and 2nd. The Kearney Bowl ledgend will be running along with Golden State King of the West sprint cars and Ocean Sprints at Watsonville Speedway, Santa Cruz, Should be a bad ass show! fireworks included! and some good looking old supermodifieds