Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage You Like Drag Racing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 22, 2009.

1. senior fried

senior fried

It probably took them 2 weeks to get the photos back to see who left early.

2. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

That's only a small block, imagine how much bigger a hemi with a blower would be. And then surround it all with tire smoke...

It took me about 2 months to stop banging my helmet against the cage trying to see where I was going when something felt funny. After while I learned to trust that the track was clear when they let me stage. Then I could focus on the gages and wait for the shift point to come, letting my peripheral vision watch the track. I didn't lift until I could see rivets in the guard rail or see the finish line crosses go under me. Dark shutdown areas were spooky though, and fogged up goggles in the cold and damp, pulled off in the grass more than once because I couldn't find the turnoff.

Boy I miss that - really need to build another.

After a few years of 8's in that, I got on an 11 second motorcycle and scared myself because I could see the track coming RIGHT AT ME.:eek: :D

3. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I can't wait for DOTD!

PS: I love this shot from Conder's site...

[​IMG]

4. flamingokid

flamingokid

5. If you have a seat belt, all your lug nuts and no oil leaks you'll pass tech.

The best part of the Jalopy Drags, fast or slow you can take your car down the track as many times as you want to....

This is the one show on the East Coast that we won't miss.

6. scarylarry

scarylarry

AND catch can...helmet is a good idea also. Full face required for open cars.

7. Manson

Manson
    from Baden, MD
    1. Maryland HAMBers

Couldn't have said it better. After going to the Jalopy Showdown at Latimore Valley for a few years, I knew when they started the Drags that It was the beginning of something great. I went that first year, came back last year and will continue to make the trip up there for as long as they put the event on.

8. That picture is sooooooooooooooooo standard late 50's, early to mid 60's. How many of those chassis did they sell? Maybe 10,000? Seems like it because back then they were everywhere and with a sbc too. Ahhh, the memories.

9. The first time Gretchen got into the GizzleHopper and drove her she asked me when she got out..."Dad, can ya move that big shiny silver thingy out of the way, I can't see?" I asked her "what big shiny silver thingy?". She pointed to the blower & injectors. LOL,,still laughing my ass off over that one. I told her "get used to it sweety, it ain't going nowhere"

10. Conder

Conder

Y'know, maybe drag racing our way may never "take off" or "revolutionize" current drag racing. Or, maybe it will change it for the better. No matter which way it goes, it's going to be cooler and more affordable the way we do it. My hats off to all you guys who are runnin' all that badass MACHINERY. I hope to be joining you soon. Stay alert, Stay alive!

11. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

i left when the flagmans feet left the ground! HA!!! pop.

12. They are kinda small,but the Mooneyes X-mas show and the Antique Nationals are both great Drag Race events,here in SoCal. Also the Drags in Barona...