Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Wanna see er naked?? Merc update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ether, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Well,,,,Ive come to the conclusion that blasting is not for the faint at heart. 96 degree heat and about the same percent in humidity here in Georgia but I will never have to worry about the surface rust. Days of blasting taking care not to warp anything. Im still cleaning sand out of my ears and got a sandbox in my @$$!!!!! Frame and attaching hardware are painted and awaiting assembly. Body about 95% blasted and Ill post some primered pics hopefully soon.
    You can view the rest of the build,
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229300
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264470

TIRED,,,,,,ETHER

Attached Files:

2. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Cool man is this all at your house? Looks like you have a decent setup there to say the least. Now just put some Gibbs on it and run it in bare metal, haha. What's your plan look like?

3. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

lookin good, must be nice to have a rotisory at your disposal

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well...you know what's next...

[​IMG]

Looking good. -Abone.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Excellent. Thanks for the update. Keep "Merc'ing"

6. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

damnit Abone you just reminded me what i get to look forward too pretty soon!! why do i have to like mercs, why couldn t i be happy with LITTLE cosmopolitans or a bike or something!!! looking good chad, looks like its a snap together or does it require glue???:eek:

7. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Looking good Chad, I've always liked the Mercs. Had a '51 coupe back about '59, wish I had kept it, but the same goes for a lot of cars I had "back in the day"!
    Spent last Sunday at a Holley family reunion as an invited guest, and Don Holley said to tell you hello!
    All that blasting in weather as hot as we've had lately is a tough job, I know, and partially why I chose the Brookville, that and at my age, the energy is not only too far gone to build something like that, but the years to build it may be already gone by the board!
    The rotisserie appears to be one from Accessible Systems, as is mine. I looked at all 3 kinds on display @ Moultrie and bought the A.S. Already had one guy stop and ask the brand when he saw it out front of my shop while I was metal prepping the frame. He said it made most of the ones he had seen look like a "Tinkertoy"!
    Dave

8. Looking good....hope to see you at Dixie fried....

9. CHANEY

CHANEY
    from san jose

nice!! been watching for awhile thanks for the update

10. Man I think I lost 20 LBS sweating while blasting this thing.

Slowlow, I wish this was all my setup, its a buddy's house about 3 miles from my house. He has it really set up right. This is the kind of thing he is into, been into it for along time, and has a good bit stored away for future projects. He has even had a car win Best of Friends at the MercDuece reunion, in 89 I think.

Hopefully tomarrow we will get a little primer splashed on it after a little sanding, I had a few small pieces to finish up today.
    ETHER

11. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

what are you going to put on it to keep it from flash rusting ?

12. Nice Job keep up the Good Work and you will reap the rewards <br> I wish I could do that to mine but I to old for that now I just want to Drive it now

13. jfrolka

jfrolka

And how much media or sand did you go through doing the body? Been wantin to do it myself but wanna price it all out first.

14. <b> ether </b> what type of Headers are you running on that Merc??

15. 58Lincoln

58Lincoln

Looking Good!

You did A LOT of work.

The body looks like it doesn't need that much.

You must be pleased.

Thanks for the photos and commentary.

Looking forward to more progress shots.

16. I sand blasted the frame, all the parts for the front and rear suspension including the rearend, doors , decklid, and body. I still have the front clip to do but I got a good bit of fab work left. So far I've used 20 bags of -30 sand. I would shoot the sand once, sweep it and sift it and shoot it once more. It actually works better the second time since its cut down. The third time its just too fine to use and only makes a dusty mess. Wear a resperator!!!!! I took the merc to my buddies house on Mon after noon, started dissasembly, tues afternoon and 4 full days of early to late hard work. Sand was cheap, just figure how much your time is worth.

We are going to go over it with a DA and 80 grit tomarrow and prime it immediatelly with DP90 primer. Oh and take a loan out for that shit!!!!!

I am using a set of Ford Motorsport headers made to put GT40P heads in a foxbody Mustang. Sparkplug angle is different on the GT40P heads so you cant use regular 5.0L headers.
    ETHER

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  17. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

looks great,,,,
    i hate sandblasting too,,especially in humid weather
    man,,,there are some really nice builds on the hamb lately

18. Chad s

Chad s

Im SOOOO glad Im done sand blasting. It has to be the absolute most miserable part of building a car. Your chop looks awesome, it looks like it came from the factory that way, sitting there on the rotisserie post blasting.

19. WOAH MAN!!! You are not screwing around!! Nice work. I hate sand blasting - or just trying to get all the sand out of your ears. :) Can't wait to see that MERC again.

20. AD

AD

they look so damn good at this point, just blasted and primed. Dude, and you deserve a whole mess of beer for doing all that yourself,AND in the georgia heat.

21. Hey AD, Ill supply the beer if you can talk Abone into coming over and putting some of his body work moves on this thing!!!!! He said he hasnt had enough sanding yet!!! LOL HAHAHAHAHAH Abone?

Got a little DP90 shot on er tonight and should have the inside and bottom primed tomarrow. Ill get pics out asap.
    ETHER

22. Well,don't just tell us about without any pic's!!!!!! Get some shit posted!!!!!

23. Here is where I am at today!!!! And yes, this time with a couple pics!!!!!
    Ill get a few more when I get back to the shop tomarrow.

ETHER

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  24. nice work BOSS - looks great. That is one clean chassis.

25. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

MMMMMMmmmmmmm ratrod... Flat black rules! The frame looks really nice, like factory nice, like no one grafted part of another frame in here nice. Keep it going man.

26. invizibletouch

invizibletouch
    from Mobile, AL

Looks killer man. I had to wire-wheel/wire-brush/ospho/etc everything in my driveway. SUCKED! lol!

27. jfrolka

jfrolka

Do you have a job?

28. Seems like I have 2 really!!!!!!! But I do work full time and do this on the side. I just had an oppertunity to do the blast/prime at my buddies house and I dont want to wear out my welcome or hold him up so its been balls to the wall for 2 weeks.

29. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

30. Back home,,,, Now the work starts!?!?!?!?!?!?! ETHER

Attached Files: