Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flowmaster 40 series?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1great40, May 4, 2012.

1. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

A few seasons back I got a deal on a pair of Flowmaster 40 series mufflers. I put them on my 40 Ford pickup that's running a 4.3 Chevy V-6 The system is 2 inch full dual with a crossover pipe up near the tranny and the mufflers are out back. I have yet to start the truck, possibly wired and running this summer. Everone tells me that this is going to be painfully loud and resonate in the cab. What say you?

2. 61falcon

61falcon

i wouldnt say painfully loud and yes they will most likely resonate. i had them on my falcon. the resonating was too much to take on long drives. but all cars and engines are different. you wont know how yours sounds until you drive it.

3. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

there not bad..mine dump underneath my 4X, and its not too loud.. everybody always thinks it has a built engine in it..i say nope, its all stock with 400k!!

4. sdluck

sdluck

I have them on my El Caminowith a 283 with a balance pipe,the noise or sound my made changed and got better when I got the timing correct for the freeway speeds.Been on there for 23 years

5. In a truck the resonating won't be that bad as long as you mount the mufflers as far back (close to the rear axle) as you can. In other words, mount them under the bed, not under the cab.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

What is too loud to one guy it too quiet to the next guy. Which guy are you? 2" pipe will cause it to be quieter than with 2 1/4" so I'd say since you have them, run them. If it's too loud then you can add a short glass pack as a resonator or change to a "turbo" style muffler that will not have the "flowmaster sound". You either like it or you don't it's a personal taste type thing.

7. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Adding tailpipes after the mufflers makes all the difference in the world.

Mine aren't 40 series, I have the WOO sprint car style mufflers on my truck. I started with the mufflers at the end of the pipes with nothing after that...it was very obnoxious. I added a foot or so of 3" pipe after the muffs at the recomendation of a HAMB'er...all the difference in the world! The drone is gone and the mufflers are pretty quiet at highway cruising.

They will still talk to you at wide open throttle though!!!