Register now to get rid of these ads!

1926 Model T Frame build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lumberguy, Nov 2, 2011.

1. lumberguy

lumberguy
    from calgary

I'm in the beginning of setting up to build a new chassis for a 1926 Model t Coupe. I want to run with front and rear fenders. So here are a few questions to start. What diff width should i use? Should I build a straight frame or do I need to kick it up in the rear over the rear axle?

2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

It all depends

3. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

An 8" Maverick rear end is pretty much a perfect width for your T.

4. nickk

nickk

if your wanting to do the stock height of a T you shouldnt have to Z the frame, just copy the idea of a stock T frame, just take in all the considerations of what height you want and what springs you use and the axles you use, good luck!

5. lumberguy

lumberguy
    from calgary

I want it as low as it can go without damaging the fenders.

6. oldtin

oldtin

This has a 9" from a 58 ford pick up, I would like to have a slightly narrower axle at 57" - 58" wide to keep the tires under the fenders a little better. In the pic the car has no rear suspension, the axle is strapped into the stock rear crossmember and the tires just clear the fenders. so four inches of suspension travel would put the tires about four and a half inches from the fender. This is with 225 15"s if I put bias 16"s on it I will have to raise it some.
    [​IMG]

7. lumberguy

lumberguy
    from calgary

Yes this is the type of look that I'm looking for. So being a newbe is 4" of travel enough? Then If I understand corectly the straight frame plan will work.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To sit at that height with similar size tires you will most likely have to have a kick up in the back to give some suspension travel. Not an enormous one like the bagged cars that lay frame have but enough to allow for some suspension travel.

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You have allot of factors to consider with this deal. First, you almost have to know what rear wheels and tires you want to run and their widths, heights, and back space figures. It would help to know what type of rear springing you want to run too.
    Some generalizations: if you want to run a "hot rod"type wheel, say 15x8 with a 3" backspace, shoot for an axle about 54" - 56" wide. If you want to run an early Ford type wheel with a stock backspace and say 7.00x16s you can get away with about 58" - 59". When I do my earlier full fendered frame soon, I plan to kick the back of the frame about 3", or just the depth of the rail. It gives the rear just a bit more room to work. Yes 4" is enough travel. I plan on using a "T" rear spring set behind the axle on my car to drop it a bit, yet still give some clearance for travel. one of the best thing you can do to help plan this and get some accurate dimensions is to go to Wescott's fiberglass web sight and print a copy of their Model "T" frame dimension sheet. Does a good job of showing where all the pesky little things bolt on and need to be.

10. oj

oj

PM HRM2K he has a sweetie that Clarke built and has lots of pics he can share with you.

11. lumberguy

lumberguy
    from calgary

Excellent Information Guys!! This is Great!! Because I'm new how would I see PM HRM2K's photos of his build. As far as tires and wheels yes the hot rod look 15" x 8's in the rear with?? 123-75-15?? then for the front 195-70-14?? nothing is written in stone. This is why I'm asking the experts. It is real easy to make assumptions. It is cheaper to ask questions along the way.

Cheers Guys!!

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

With a 235x75 15 on a 15x8 with about 3" of back space 54" will get you comfortably under the fenders where you have more up and down travlel to go low. 56" will just put the tread under the outer lips and "bubble" of the sidewall out. To go low I would look to 54". I know that a Chevy S10 rear is right on that number (I can't remember if that's 4wd or 2wd, check first), or the old stand by used to be Ford Maverick 8" with two short side axles to get to that number. Those are even getting hard to come by out here thse days though.

13. oj

oj

Thats' pretty funny. PM means 'Personal Message' that is an inhouse email system for members to contact each other.
    Here is how to get to his personal space and where some pics are located: Straight above this section there is a header in black, in the center of this header is 'Community' - click on that and a drop box opens, the lowest option is 'Members'. Click on that and all the hambrs aree listed, in the red header bar, extreme right there is a search function, open that box and enter 'HRM2K'. The search will bring you to the basic info for HRM2K, if you then go to click on his avatar (name) it will take you to his 'home page' - a place where we store stuff, like a closet. When you get to Johns' home page look in the lower right side there is an option callled 'Albums' and there is a subtitle 'My T', click on that and you'll have a ton of pics to look at. Under the personal info on the upper left is a box you can click on to contact John, he'll be a big help.
    I hope i didn't leave out a step, theres' different ways to get to anybodies home page and this was a complicated way.
    Good luck, hope you don't get 'lost', oj

14. lumberguy

lumberguy
    from calgary

LOL Ooops Thank you the help. As well you patience.