Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Jalopyrama - Part II

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  2. I liked it. Kinda disappointed it's not all true. "Fear and Loathing in Maryland" You'll be OK.

3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Sorry to hear some folks didn't recognize the hyperbole of gonzo journalism. I enjoyed it - although not as much as the Kentucky Derby-tribute piece you'd done earlier. Serious coverage of the event was certainly easy enough to find if one looked.

More to the point, as the father of two small kids myself, I totally understand not wanting to be up at the crack of dawn for a car show. Most shows seem to be geared toward retired fellows who are already used to meeting their buddies for coffee at 6am every day, and there are a lot of us who don't operate that way yet.

-Dave

4. oj

oj

Wow, Ryan, you don't do a half-assed apology do you. I guess the real Ryan has stood up, how about offering to return next year as an active part of the event - it is a charity event, right?

5. Ryan,

Because I was there, I have the advantage of knowing the level of artistic license you exercised in your first story. I thought the article was quite entertaining – and a nice recount of what I remember as a really good time, told in a way that just makes for a better read. And you took my razzing like a champ. After spending time with you and Blake both Friday and Saturday, I was left with the impression that you guys are the real deal. Solid.

This second journal entry proves that my first impression was right. Maybe even more so.

P.S. Although I'm not a Rusty Nut and I have no official ties to Mike and the Jalopyrama, I love the show. It's hands down, my favorite. The mood, the lighting and the quiet of the indoor show moves and inspires me.

6. Ryan, you're at the top of my list. It would be my honor to meet you someday. Come back next year,dinner is on me. We'll sit in a nice restaurant,look out on the bay and enjoy friendship and a good meal.

7. FeatherWeight

FeatherWeight

I'm not sure the circumstances call for an apology Ryan. I don't read show car coverage, but I always read yours because it is so well written. It makes you think. And I loved your writeup on the Jalopyrama. It made me want to go North with you next year.

You are one of the best persons I know. Seriously.

8. Plowboy

Plowboy

I was hoping it was the truth. If it were my gang it would have been. ha ha

I am more disappointed that you didn't come to the last pileup.

9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

So...what are you doing Nov. 12th? I hear there's gonna be a swell get together at Hot Rod Garage in Okiehoma.

Up for another trip? :)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. I read your coverage and thought I might add that show to my list of one-of-these-days events to attend.

I read your apology, and feel less inclined.

11. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I rather enjoyed the piece you wrote, much more entertaining then the typical show write up. I read it as pure entetainment and to me didn't harm the coverage of the show, it actually made me search the hamb for more coverage of the show. Don't let this deter you from writing more creative pieces in the future, it's what makes the JJ better than the typical magazine editiors write up.

12. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Ryan is cool. I can’t wait to get down to Texas and experience it.
    Slim

13. I'm sorry I jokingly busted on you about your picture or lack of.

I understand your wanting to fly under the radar.

It was my first Jalopyrama and I really liked the 60's car show feel...just wish it was sunnier, it was darn dark inside when the sun went away in the afternoon.

14. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

This isn't meant to be pointed at anyone, just a general view on things...It's clear that whoever puts on that show has gotta be cool, but I don't think it's fair to hold any sort of expectation from you. Inviting you to a show for fun and asking you to be a "special guest" are two different things. Is the invite to "Ryan from the Hamb" or just "Ryan"? Dude, you gotta be able to just go to a car show from time to time. So now you're in this akward position and feel like you have to make up for it in some way. And it seems to be not necessarily because they're asking you to or anything, but because you are a genuinely nice guy. I just hope people don't feel like you owe them anything (A good write up, photo ops, whatever..) just because you were invited or because of who you are. I thought you previous post on the show sold it pretty well and definitely piqued my interest, if anything because pics are worth a thousand words and you know people are gonna jump on with the goods..

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The problem with the internet and forums is that you can't see that twisted eye or shit-eatin grin when someone's been pounding away on a keyboard. You're right, some could take it as the real deal because much of TJJ is just that, real. I think it's stand up move though. I guess I can see it too.

Still, it reminded me of such a night at an auction. I wasn't too proud of what happened, but in the end it was all OK and we got more for the 6 cars than we'd prepared for. I needed one of the cars for my back and forth transport and the only one that was currently registered was a 348 Ferarri coupe...a nice bright yellow one too. I had consumed 2 extra vodka martinis but thought nothing of it. You see, drinks used to be free at high end auctions. I don't drink either, but when I do, I drink...uh, never mind.

Anyways I left with this thing and about 2 miles away it hit me. "Shit I'm kinda lit..." so I just relaxed and got used to it. It was a Friday night and knew where all the street racing was happening. Bad idea. Bright yellow Ferarri screamin "Come and get me!" and I'm lit. No matter. I pulled in and started pokin at a few 5.0 Mustangs for a race. No takers was a blessing but one of my regular fellow hoods was there and he jumped in. "What fuck Jocko! Are you drunk?!?" "A little. You wanna drive?" "Pull over...how fast can I go?" "I wanna wake up tomorrow at home. What's that tell ya?" "That you're party pooper." We headed towards my place and I was getting back to normal. We got there and I told him go to the shop 1st. A splash of cold water and cup of coffee were in order and then we took off again. I was driving. "I wanna go 150 in this thing. Will it do that?" "Sheeeit bitch...". I hit I-94 west and found an opening and watched the needle. 130, 140, she's slowing a bit, 150, then a little more to seal the deal. We exited and came back on surface roads at a normal and enjoyable pace, exchanged g'byes and off to bed. The next morning I was headed back north to the sale. Cruising along I notoced the speedometer was in "20s". See, trying to touch 150+ I didn't spend much time staring at the dream needle, and it went from 140 to a dash and then 160. I had actually topped 160 according to the speedometer. I was very lucky that night. Nobody got hurt, I didn't go to jail, the car made it back in the same lovely condition it left in, on time, and I was only met wth a 1/2 dozen raised eyebrows here and there.

You never know when it's going to happen. I remember a few Meadowbrooks where I'd have rather been at home instead of rubbing Final Inspection on a fender at 7am due to the previous night's banquet and open bar. Entertainment? Vacation? Hey man, every night if we want it. None of these cars are needed in anyone's lives. Being in the garage or at a show, it's all a vacation and subject to whatever happens at any given time. Beats the shit out of "honey-dos" and work. Again, nice move there Ryan. Yer a'ight...

16. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

So there is not really a Middleton Pub? I thought I found an ancestral archive for my family. As a HST fan I thought it was great tribute.

Of course this younger generation didn't have the pleasure of reading those wild tales 'tween the covers of the Rolling Stone. Maybe we need a HAMB book club list to enlighten the mob.

17. Wow, this is tough to read. I will admit that I personally was a little disappointed with you, Ryan, thought you kinda dissed us "Northerners" just a bit by showing up as late as you did. I certainly can't speak for Mike or any of his crew. That's entirely up to them. That said, this blog points out to me what a real human being and straight shooter you are and I'm willing to forgive and move on. It took a big guy with a lot of decency and humility to man up and write the words you just wrote. I for one hope you come back this way again for the Jalopyrama or for the Jalopy Showdown in the Spring or for whatever. It's behind us now, let's all try to be upbeat and positive going forward........Don.

18. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

HAMB Book Club.

-Dave

19. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I'll toss my opinion out there, the first write up on the show was amazing. Hunter S. Thompson is one of the few literary geniuses to come out of the last half of century, and any nod his style of "Gonzo Journalism" should be taken as a compliment.

If I've never been to the Jalopyrama, the original write up alone would have been enough to make me hop in my car and drive out. It filled the show with a sense of adventure and excitement that's seems to be lacking in modern society.

With the internet everyone has upfront access to everything, there's no more mystery, discovery, or excitement anymore. The show coverage provided a sense of "anything can happen, and you'd be a fool if you missed it".

Maybe I looked it differently being a fan of Hunter S. and his writing, who knows. . . but I thought the original story was a pat on the back, not a slap in the face.

P.S. the guy's from a different time zone, of course he's gonna show up late. That's like all of the times we go out west and we're up at 5am wondering where everyone else is.

20. Seems like a weird thing to apologize for showing up at a car show when you wanted. Unless you agreed to be there at a certain time as a "special guest", which you clearly turned down, it is no ones business but your own when you decide to show up. And for guys to forgive you for showing up late:rolleyes:. Sometimes I think you are too nice.

21. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Don't ever stop writing your Hunter S. Thompson style "misadventures of Ryan" style car show write ups. Those are my favorite reads on TJJ. I thought the trip and show sounded great through your accounting. I hope to make it up to the show next year.

22. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Good one Ryan. Your first article was entertaining and although it rubbed a few the wrong way; it really ended up being a positive piece that shed a good light in the show. I admit that I can see how some might take it wrong but the overall response was totally positive and had a lot of good reply posts.

What stands out here is that in spite of the fact that you are not apologetic about the first article you are sorry that the promotors took it wrong and you said so publicly. This is good for everyone; they feel better and get even more press and you did the stand up thing. Good on you.

23. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Well, so much for it being a small show...

I think it'd be a safe bet that the show will have alot of new go'ers next year. Ryan's coverage, great pics and the hype about what adventures can be had in Annapolis sound pretty exciting!
    Hell, maybe I'll try to get the Caddy done in time for next year and make the trip. You've piqued my interrest.

24. oj

oj

As an afterthought, i'd like to invite the 'gonzo'Ryan to the JALOPY SHOWDOWN! Now theres' a venue where gonzoism is normal and if Ryans' pen can capture it then that would be magnificent! Come on out, we'll pump you up with some PBRs', soak the front carpet in ether and hit the mud at turn 4! No pussified motel rooms and barmaids, no appontments to wake up to and no obligations - just a camp fire, a mason jar with some clear liquid, HRLC cookies and the best damn mess of hot rods in the east.

25. You are a stand-up guy, that is for sure. I, like many others, thought the first article was great. But, Acme Speed Shop and others said it and explained it better than I can so all I can say is I agree, you made it right, and ya done good on all counts in my book - period.

We'll catch up with you at the Hot Rod Reunion - lookin' forward to meeting you ....

26. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Enjoyed the first read. Enjoyed this read too. Always get a kick out of your musings, great way for me to start my day.
    To quote Charles Shultz: You're a good man Charlie Brown.

27. It was a great writeup, only the thickest among us could not see it was tongue in cheek. But 1PM?!?!?! You need to practice more, Yoakum can stay up all night in Joplin and swap gears before driving 1000 miles before 1pm!

28. Fritz...YES, there is a Middletown Pub. It is a favorite hangout for Maryland's Esteemed Legislators. Much of Maryland's political deals are cut at the Middletown, so why not Ryan and his buds. So keep it on your bucket list or whatever. It can be a fun place.... if you know who is sitting next to you.:eek:

29. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I'm not sure about all the theatrics. I try to avoid that stuff as much as I can in general and I can't write worth a shit either, but I had assumed it was a bit of a tale. Like you, I generally skip the crowds and official gathering type events. It's just me and I'm just usually too hesitant to jump into stuff like that. I just want to walk around and see some cool cars and maybe chat with a couple of people casually here and there. I can't imagine being the center of attention in a crowd. It just isn't me and not what I feel comfortable doing.

Anyway, I really wanted to make to the show this year too, but couldn't grab a cheap enough flight to make it happen. I do also appreciate the charity aspect of the show and in chatting with Mike some as well, he seems like a great guy to me. In the spirit of that, I'd like to offer $20 donation for the cause as well. Mike I will PM you on that.

Next year however, I'm determined to try to actually just make the show.

30. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

Geeez Ryan, whats it feel like to be a Rock Star? The first artical was great. No apology needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.