Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Chevy P/U Daily Driver Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chevy54, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

So finally after many years of wanting my Advance Design daily driver, I just bought a nice one from Texas!! I had just returned home to Cali from my trip back to Maine to see the family where I sold a like new 2008 Chevy work truck I still had there. Ive been on a mission to replaced it with a classic Chevy 5window 1/2 ton. :)
    After reviewing many trucks and options on how to keep this build in budget and being let down at on ones I went to see I finally found the truck I wanted, right here on The HAMB! A fellow HAMBer was posting for a good friend who had come down with cancer and had to let the truck go. After talking with him in depth about the trucks history and the hotrodding world I knew he was not filling me full of BS! So I agreed on a very fair price and I gave him my word I would be there to get it on Thur morn the following week and not to sell it on me.
    I was heading for AZ to see friends and catch the GG show anyhow so I went a few days early. Got to Mesa for Tuesday, on the road wed morn at 4am and headed for Dallas at 1050 miles away ( I totally dig road trips thru the Southwest). After 14.5 hrs of driving thru amazing country I landed in the beautiful city of Dallas at 830pm, grabbed some grub and a cold brew then hit the wrapper for a early rise! Picked up the trailer at 7am and then off to meet Dennis, a Dallas native. Dennis was as cool in person as he was on the phone, after taking me for drives thru the old Dallas towns and neighborhoods the truck was better then he described, so we did the paperwork and loaded the 51 up on the trailer!! I would have liked to grab breakfast and listen to more stories but had to get back on the road. I promised him his baby was in good hands and I would not do it wrong.
    The trip back to Mesa, AZ seemed even longer then the way out but that Chev strairing me down in the rearview kept me rolling strong...even when I blew a good rear tire in the middle of the New Mexico Desert in the middle of the night, an then changed it with my cell phone light:mad:!
    To all you folks in Texas....its beautiful, but Damn its effing long!!! 630 miles from NM border to Dallas, To put that into perspective, its Maine to VA but all in one state!:eek:
    So backed to the truck...its a 283 w hydrol lifters/327cam topped with a edlebrock 4brrl, perfect for what I wanted in a daily driver. The rest of the truck is pretty much stock, all the suspension and even the steering box is stock (yes the V8 fit with stock box in place)...just how I wanted it. The brakes were switched over to 54 drums and and they work great..same as the steering...Im leaving all of that intact. The interior is nice..just needs a new steering wheel. The body is super straight and rust free, I could not be happier with the whole thing!

My plans are to take the front end and bed apart to clean, strip and do some body work. Ill strip the cab inside and out, re-wire with a new kit due to alot of non working small things and that it looks like a mess plus new glass rubbers that are dry rotted. The chassis im going to clean, paint and drop some lowered leafs on the back and a dropped axle up front. Drive line will be cleaned, painted and install a new raidiator and a under the bed tank asthe stock tank is releasing alot of grit.
    Im going with a single stage darker tan (mocha/coffee) color I think and re-instaling all the black interior. A Fulton visor is a must and black paint on the rims with some trim rings and moon centers...white walls will follow but the tires on it now are good so ill have to live with them for now....no sense waisting them! Dont forget some mild pinstriping by Philly The Greek!

Well heres some pics of the truck and the trip, Ill be starting to take it apart in a week or 2 and loading pics as I go along...hope you all enjoy! Sorry for being so long winded...just seemed like a fun hotroddin road trip!

Eric

This is what I headed East for...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Def Needs a classic wheel!

[​IMG]
    A great running little 283!

[​IMG]
    It looks tight but theres just enough clearance for everything to work well!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  2. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

The trip home was tough but looking in the rear view helped keep me going!
    [​IMG]

Just a great southwestern view....
    [​IMG]

Another engine bay shot
    [​IMG]

This def helped make the 630 miles thru Texas go a bit quicker! I guess even the speed limits are big in Texas!!:D
    [​IMG]

New and Old Chevrolets!
    [​IMG]

Loaded up and headin for The O.C.
    [​IMG]

3. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

4. lol yeah i like the group alot. I am glad I join the group.

5. nice truck! way better than what I'm starting with..currently making mine a daily driver when I move to Florida

6. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Justin...when are you movin bro? You must be so ready you've been talkin about it for awhile now..plus another winter up north:(

7. Looks great! Keep us posted on the AD Truckers site too. Some of us don't get over here a lot.

8. oldman2

oldman2

I try to keep up on both sites, so I'll subscribe to both and make sure to catch it.

9. I remember bringing mine home, watch the rear view more that i did the road.

10. cwayne

cwayne

Eric, looks a lot better than the Suburban i started with.. I want to see it next time i'm in So. Calif. Wayne

11. BUXMAN66

BUXMAN66

cool truck man! good luck w/your build.

12. GhostTown

GhostTown
    from Idaho

Man... you can't start out with a nicer truck than that. Nice find, and good luck!

13. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Hey buddy...Im sure, although this one wont have that much put back into her like you did! Im going to run it over to Phills today and let him check it out! Hopefully it wont be to long off the road...just depends on how my paint n body skills treat me:eek:. Make sure to b intouch next time your around...Im ten mins from Phills place.

14. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

15. onedge

onedge

Good story, nice truck and good plans too. I like it!

16. If it turns out half as nice as the '54 it will be badass!

17. sgnova72

sgnova72

Nice truck, I like your plan. You could not have found anything that nice up here in the northeast.

18. June 4th...been flying down there every month getting everything together, now I just need to bust my ass and finish up the car & truck to bring down there in time

19. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Hah...you wouldnt find em this clean up there I do know that!

Damn...Thanx Mitch, although I dont want it so nice I cant leave it on the curb but I think it will be cool!
    Good Luck with your move Justin..I bet your siked!

20. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Hey Wayne...This is actually the look im going for! Might even steal that color code from you!;)

[​IMG]

21. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

It's gonna look pretty sweet when your done.

22. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

face it , Eric, you miss New England!:rolleyes::D

23. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Sweet ride. Good for you on a great find.
    Now ENJOY !!

24. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

man i cant wait to someday have another AD truck. I am really holding out for a nice GMC though. Had one that was very sentimental and through some very hard luck it got away. I will have another and make a great daily driver as well. just wish I didnt have to commute 80 miles a day so it would be more efficient.

Looks like a great start and I cant wait to see it come together.

25. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Hahah...yeah buddy, especially when the daytime temps got way down in the 50s one day when it rained!:D

26. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Eric drove by my shop with his new project , and I gotta say , it's really a nice truck ! Not a doubt in my mind that when he's done , it'll be a looker, just like the cute lil' gal he had with him !!

27. BadLuck

BadLuck

Right on!! cool truck Eric... now TWO reasons to cruise by your pad! Soon as the rain passes.. im makin the trip out homie...

28. cwayne

cwayne

Eric, the color is a '36 ford color.. and i'm sure it'll look ever bit as nice as the suburban.. C Ya when i get into town..